UMPIRES

The_Peon

Am I the only person who thinks that h/s umpires this year are worse than in the previous years? Not to name any schools specifically, but so far this year I've seen umpires who couldn't quote an infield fly rule, who don't know that their partner has to ask for an appeal, who obviously can't make a decent judgement on "making an effort to get out of the way of a pitch" (happened 3 times in the same game.....umpire makes the kids stay in the box.......), not to mention the most inconsistant strike zones I've seen since 9-10 year old little league. They seem to over officiate, show up with a chip on their shoulder and never to have read a rule book. And how much do these guys get paid??? I used to umpire h/s ball (in another state) for about half what these guys make.......and that was for district games all the way to deep in the playoffs. I just don't get how guys can show up without a clue as to what is going on. Is it that easy to get games these days?

Just venting a little. :coolball:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, it is that easy to get games, because most people don't want to call games they just want to get and smoaky and gripe. Chapters will take just about anyone they can get. They give them some training and then baptize then by fire. I think it is even worse in basketball than baseball. Many people don't officiate because of the bull they have to put up with from kids, coaches, and fans.

I've seen numerous games this year where parents needed to chill out, but I haven't seen a coach over do it.....not to say they aren't wherever I haven't been, but its been pretty peaceful in regards to coaches considering how bad the officiating has been.

And we don't let our kids show up an umpire even with body language.

I'm not saying that an umpire has cost us any win or loss this year, but its getting to the point where all we can do is laugh at how rediculous some of these guys are.

Here's a thought, I already give most of my time at school and on the field.........

I've already done the "umpiring" thing.

Typical comments........

Maybe you need to offer your services again. Be part of the solution. Don't fuel the problem.

All I can say is Extremely Poor. I think Stevie Wonder could call better than a lot of the Umpires I've seen this year. :lol:

inconsistant strike zone are one thing, but i will have to say, some of the things we've seen this year are a little weird. we had an umpire miss an entire pitch, because he was talking with fans on 1st base line, and called swing on a flinch away from the ball(2" back to the catcher), an out called on dropped 3rd, and a few more that I don't usually see this late in the season.

Maybe you need to offer your services again. Be part of the solution. Don't fuel the problem.

might not be a bad idea. they make more to umpire than alot of coaches do it seems like......which....by the way......did i mention that what those guys get paid is REDICULOUS? at least for no better than i've seen.

might not be a bad idea. they make more to umpire than alot of coaches do it seems like......which....by the way......did i mention that what those guys get paid is REDICULOUS? at least for no better than i've seen.

Exactly how much do they get paid Peon?

Exactly how much do they get paid Peon?

enough that they should know what an infield fly is..

or enough to show up on time..

or enough to know that a courtesy runner can enter the game......no matter what bag the pitcher/catcher occupies

or enough to know that the batter is out on a missed 3rd strike if there's less than 2 outs and 1st base is occupied.

i've seen all of these in a week.

enough that they should know what an infield fly is..

or enough to show up on time..

or enough to know that a courtesy runner can enter the game......no matter what bag the pitcher/catcher occupies

or enough to know that the batter is out on a missed 3rd strike if there's less than 2 outs and 1st base is occupied.

i've seen all of these in a week.

Ok i agree, now answer the question. How much do high school umpires in state of Texas get paid, Peon?

I've had good, average, and bad this year. I do however appreciate the time and effort they all put into the game. As long as they're consistant ( for both) during the game, it's alot easier to swallow when they are doing bad. After the whole 1204 plan blow up earlier in the year, it puts coaches and umps in a tuff situation..........are umps coming to ballparks with chips on their shoulders because they feel coaches prevented them from making more money, are coaches holding it against them for holding out and putting them in a bind up until the last minute???????? Both sides have got to get on the same page for the sake of the game. Don't know why, but Tyler has had a few umps stop calling after the season got started...... as coaches we should hope that it's not bacause of us!!!!!

Softball umpires in Texarkana area are doing a poor job. That's not to say all of them. It appears to me they need more training for sure. Judgement is so critical in umpiring and there's a few around here with very poor judgement. You're not going to see many high school coaches lose their cool because the UIL will penalize them. It's just a game, but some of these men and women officials are stealing their paychecks.

What ROCK have you been hiding under Lhornfan?

I use the Tyler Chapter, and I've had good umpires for the most part. Funny thing is we've played 14 games and ONLY 1 has been at home. So far, we've had experienced umpires at all games. The only tough game was a home plate umpire from the Kaufman chapter. The top of his strike zone was at the shoulders. It took 3 innings for him to get it down to a point I thought was still too high. It was really hard on our kids because they had to swing at pitches that were just about impossible to get on top of. As a side note, it was the umpire's first year calling in Texas.

I'd like for all you guys that are complaining about the umpires think back to Christmas when we weren't sure if we were going to have TASO certified umpires or dads calling behind the plate. I appreciate what the umpires do, and I feel their is mutual respect between the umpires and myself. As long as there is some consistency behind the plate and knowledge of the rules, we (the team) will make adjustments.

Now you want me to gripe about something? I'm tired of seeing my on-deck hitters getting worn out chasing passed #### with no runners on because the catcher is too lazy to block the ball or retrieve his team's mistake. I don't mind the on-deck guys getting foul ####, but I'm sick of seeing catchers let #### go by and simply stick their hand behind their back to get another ball from the umpire. I know, it's supposed to speed up the game. I'm not worried about the speed of the game. I'm worried about my on-deck hitter jogging all over the park retrieving the #### of a lazy catcher. I don't ask my catcher to chase foul #### off the net, but he'll retrieve passed #### he missed - and he'll beat the on-deck hitter to the ball or put up his hand for them to stay put. Heck, he tried to get a passed ball when he was batting a couple of weeks ago because the on-deck hitter already chased two at a field with a huge area behind home plate. The umpire stopped him, and the umpire himself went and got the ball.

Can you believe the word B A L L S is censored on a sports forum?

You can gripe if you want but the only other option is coaches or dads calling. Let me say as a coach and a dad I want no part of that.

I respect what these guys try to do. (I know that is suprising coming from me!) They perform a job, and it is just that, a job, that recieves no thanks. Most of the time at least one team and half the crowd will blame them for losing. A called third strike was always too low, or too high. The runner always slid under the tag. The first baseman always pulled their foot off the bag.

You can gripe if you want but the only other option is coaches or dads calling. Let me say as a coach and a dad I want no part of that.

I respect what these guys try to do. (I know that is suprising coming from me!) They perform a job, and it is just that, a job, that recieves no thanks. Most of the time at least one team and half the crowd will blame them for losing. A called third strike was always too low, or too high. The runner always slid under the tag. The first baseman always pulled their foot off the bag.

You have GOT to get more classes to teach!!! :notworthy: I hear you guys are doing pretty darn good this year. Hope to see yall in the playoffs again. Good luck.. C Downs

There is a big disparity between the quality of the Tyler and Longview chapters. It really bugs me when a home plate umpire stands 6-8 feet behind the catcher. That is just as bad as the Crockett home plate umpire who attempted to call #### and strikes without a mask. (He was the only umpire that showed up to start the game and didn't even bring a mask with him although he had his shin guards under his jeans that were two sizes too small.)

We have had pretty decent umpires so far. Most have been the normal consistenly inconsistent. All games except one have been fair and consistent for both teams. We have had only 1 game where the plate umpire was SO one sided. Most of the games the coaches just laugh at each other over some of the bad calls.

It really bugs me when a home plate umpire stands 6-8 feet behind the catcher.

I got to Gladewater too late for the JV game, but did see the picture your grandson took of the home plate umpire calling strikes and "the censored word". I will have to look again, but he was either on the grass or just inside the grass.

For all the Umps out there........is this taught in training?

In the varsity game, it was a little amusing to see a ball called on our batter on a hit and run. Only 2 people in the entire complex missed his swing. They both were wearing blue.