UMPIRES

The_Peon

Am I the only person who thinks that h/s umpires this year are worse than in the previous years? Not to name any schools specifically, but so far this year I've seen umpires who couldn't quote an infield fly rule, who don't know that their partner has to ask for an appeal, who obviously can't make a decent judgement on "making an effort to get out of the way of a pitch" (happened 3 times in the same game.....umpire makes the kids stay in the box.......), not to mention the most inconsistant strike zones I've seen since 9-10 year old little league. They seem to over officiate, show up with a chip on their shoulder and never to have read a rule book. And how much do these guys get paid??? I used to umpire h/s ball (in another state) for about half what these guys make.......and that was for district games all the way to deep in the playoffs. I just don't get how guys can show up without a clue as to what is going on. Is it that easy to get games these days?

Just venting a little. :coolball:

All I can say is if you you don't like the way we call step and sign up and CALL!! Yall can set here and type and Talk the Talk but yall cant Walk the Walk... Try it you will see our side of it!! IF not Shut your MOUTH!! Thanks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the ones on here bashing, crying or what ever are to scared to go ump a game. all they want to do is get on here a complain about someone that is trying to help out kids. If you are so up set about the ump not calling your way and little johnny comes home crying then get out of your lawn chair learn the rules by the book not your rules and sign up or volunteer your time to call a game or two then come back on here and tell us how hard it is to make all the cry baby parents happy.

This was a rediculous thread to begin with and there is no where positive for it to go. The bottom line is that the numbers of umpires across the nation are dropping and there is not enough new people coming in to offset the folks that are leaving.

People are going to cry and whimper and get online and whine about the officiating of games. Most of the good umpires are going to look through this stupidity and do what they enjoy doing......officiating high school sports.

All the ones on here bashing, crying or what ever are to scared to go ump a game. all they want to do is get on here a complain about someone that is trying to help out kids. If you are so up set about the ump not calling your way and little johnny comes home crying then get out of your lawn chair learn the rules by the book not your rules and sign up or volunteer your time to call a game or two then come back on here and tell us how hard it is to make all the cry baby parents happy.

they to scared to.. they are just cry babys... they to SCARED!!!

The bottom line is that the numbers of umpires across the nation are dropping and there is not enough new people coming in to offset the folks that are leaving.

...in all sports. But, let them continue to whistle past the graveyard.

I watched a 14/15 year old little league game the other night and here are some observations....

Batter swung at an inside pitch and the pitch hit his top hand - he was rewarded first base (HBP). Now out of all the people in the stands, 5/6 coaches, 20 some odd players, and 2 umps NOBODY knew that it was a strike??? Scary...

With two outs and a runner at first, batter hit a line drive to the outfield... Runner on first was running on pitch and scored before the batter slid head first into second base and was called out for doing so(cant slide head first). They said the run didnt count - again the runner crossed the plate before the batter was called out....

Played about three innings before they realized they had been playing with t-#### (spongy)

To top it all off, one of the teams had a left-handed shortstop???

Again not bashing - just observations....

There are some good points made on this thread by both sides. I do pride myself on doing the best job I can do when I am on the field. I call college club--high school--select--all the way down to t-ball. I umpire baseball because I love it and it is my summer job( just starts in Feb..) . My bill paying job is that of a teacher/coach. So I can see both sides to this issue. The best umpires are the ones you never hear about....they are the ones that step on the field and exit the field without anyone even realizing they were there.

I had this happen just the other day in a little league game. A batter popped up to the shortstop , who caught the ball for the 1st out of the inning. The coach of the defensive team called time and came out to talk to me ( I was working the plate). He said to me...." I just want you to know that whenever a batter pops up in the infield it is an automatic out. I asked him who told him this...he said his league president had told him that no matter the situation, when a batter pops up in the infield he is automatically out. I told him the infield fly rule and explained it to him. He told me I was wrong and that I should read my rule book. I couldn't help but laugh ( inside of course ). I didn't get mad at him. I really felt sorry for him. Later on he came by and told me that he was wrong and apologized. Makes you wonder who is running our leagues these days........

All this fuss about this topic.......

In my personal opinion, there are good umpires and there are some that aren't as good (maybe lack of experience could be a part of it), just like some ball players are better than others and some coaches are better than others. Sometimes players or coaches aren't on top of their game or make mistakes and so do umpires. I'm sure there are some guys who just want a paycheck, but most guys I've seen really do want to do a good job, just like coaches and players want to do a good job.

Michael, are the schools that raised a ruckus over there in your neck of the woods paying more than they would have under the old rate?

I'd estimate high schools are paying roughly 25% more for baseball umpiring this season over recent years...

The information that was provided at the TASO Baseball state meeting in Houston back in January that the membership was down 22% for the previous season, which means almost 1 out of every 4 umpires elected to hang up their mask for one reason or another. That is a significant decrease for one year to the next. I would not be suprised if there are another 22% or even a higher percentage of umpires quit before the 2010 season...

There was a good point made earlier that if all umpires had gone ahead and sat out this season, that the opinions would be totally reversed. You don't know what you had until it's gone.

I was in Wal Mart Sunday in Tyler at the checkout line and a woman recognized me. She was from Bullard and she went about this in the proper way. She said that she was at the Kilgore - Bullard game and that game was one of the best games she had seen umpired and wanted to know why there was such a huge gap in the quality of the umpires that they had seen there? I explained to her everything which we already know with regards to less experienced umpires and the shortage of umpires, etc. and she understood. She actually had a solution to the problem that she was complaining about and that was that TASO Chapters in all sports should go around to the schools each year and speak to the Seniors and show them how they can stay active in the sport they enjoy by officiating.

My challenge to every person who comes on here bashing umpires is very simple: It's ok to have these complaints. I am not saying you should not have complaints. What you should do though is if you are going to complain publicly about the officiating, then do something about it. Help with the recruiting of new younger officials. Help restore the numbers of officials of which to choose from. Help retain younger officials by not dogging them or ragging them. Help the cause.....don't hurt it. After all.....as everybody likes to say.....we are doing this for the kids.

There was a good point made earlier that if all umpires had gone ahead and sat out this season, that the opinions would be totally reversed. You don't know what you had until it's gone.

I was in Wal Mart Sunday in Tyler at the checkout line and a woman recognized me. She was from Bullard and she went about this in the proper way. She said that she was at the Kilgore - Bullard game and that game was one of the best games she had seen umpired and wanted to know why there was such a huge gap in the quality of the umpires that they had seen there? I explained to her everything which we already know with regards to less experienced umpires and the shortage of umpires, etc. and she understood. She actually had a solution to the problem that she was complaining about and that was that TASO Chapters in all sports should go around to the schools each year and speak to the Seniors and show them how they can stay active in the sport they enjoy by officiating.

My challenge to every person who comes on here bashing umpires is very simple: It's ok to have these complaints. I am not saying you should not have complaints. What you should do though is if you are going to complain publicly about the officiating, then do something about it. Help with the recruiting of new younger officials. Help restore the numbers of officials of which to choose from. Help retain younger officials by not dogging them or ragging them. Help the cause.....don't hurt it. After all.....as everybody likes to say.....we are doing this for the kids.

As much as I'm sure you umpires don't like the Peon or at least his comments right now, this is a nice post, and a nice idea.

BTW, I saw two good ones last night. Its a good feeling to know that the game is under control.

Worked a game last night in the Greater Houston Area. Game went 8 innings with the final score 4-3. Game last 2:15 minutes. Great game. I had 4-5 close calls which I sold and my partner had 2-3 at the plate. Neither of us had a coach come out and question any of our calls. When we left the field it was like we weren't even there. Great game which was decided by the kids.

I am also on the board of a recreational baseball umpire association ( Little League - High school ball ). We use young high school kids on our lower levels and train these kids. I alway express to them that when they get out of High School they can umpire while they are in college. It is a great way to make money and really enjoy what you are doing.

I watched a 14/15 year old little league game the other night and here are some observations....

Batter swung at an inside pitch and the pitch hit his top hand - he was rewarded first base (HBP). Now out of all the people in the stands, 5/6 coaches, 20 some odd players, and 2 umps NOBODY knew that it was a strike??? Scary...

With two outs and a runner at first, batter hit a line drive to the outfield... Runner on first was running on pitch and scored before the batter slid head first into second base and was called out for doing so(cant slide head first). They said the run didnt count - again the runner crossed the plate before the batter was called out....

Played about three innings before they realized they had been playing with t-#### (spongy)

To top it all off, one of the teams had a left-handed shortstop???

Again not bashing - just observations....

where you in west rusk?

Worked a game last night in the Greater Houston Area. Game went 8 innings with the final score 4-3. Game last 2:15 minutes. Great game. I had 4-5 close calls which I sold and my partner had 2-3 at the plate. Neither of us had a coach come out and question any of our calls. When we left the field it was like we weren't even there. Great game which was decided by the kids.

I am also on the board of a recreational baseball umpire association ( Little League - High school ball ). We use young high school kids on our lower levels and train these kids. I alway express to them that when they get out of High School they can umpire while they are in college. It is a great way to make money and really enjoy what you are doing.

that's a great idea and it would make the kids more respectful of the umpires if they had to do it theirselves.

The information that was provided at the TASO Baseball state meeting in Houston back in January that the membership was down 22% for the previous season, which means almost 1 out of every 4 umpires elected to hang up their mask for one reason or another.

Is the decrease an actual drop in the number of umpires statewide or due to umpires leaving TASO? Wondering if it's a TASO issue.....

I held these guys feet to the fire over the pay issue earlier, but I want to say one thing. These guys go out and do a good job for the schools. If you can't watch a game without criticizing the calls it may be time for you to do a self check. No one agrees with every call an official makes, but I have never blamed a loss on one. If you don't like the strike zone tell the kids to get up there and hit the stinking ball.

Look for positives not negatives. You might find out you have a better outlook on sports overall.

Situation

Bases loaded, hitter puts ball in play between SS and 3b. SS knocks ball down preventing from going to outfield. Runner from 2b stops in basepath, ends up in a rundown between 2b and 3b. Runner originally at 3b scores before out is made on rundown. I know all they had to do was tag 3b and it would have been easier out. Although they didn't he ends up being tagged out by 2nd baseman. Does run score? What do you think?

Situation

Bases loaded, hitter puts ball in play between SS and 3b. SS knocks ball down preventing from going to outfield. Runner from 2b stops in basepath, ends up in a rundown between 2b and 3b. Runner originally at 3b scores before out is made on rundown. I know all they had to do was tag 3b and it would have been easier out. Although they didn't he ends up being tagged out by 2nd baseman. Does run score? What do you think?

The run should count if the runner scored from third before the tag was made. If the player would have been forced out at third the run wouldn't have counted, because the inning ended on a force play.

Situation

if i understand you correctly, there is a runner still at 2nd and 1st, and the runner inbetween 2nd and 3rd has to go to third. if this is correct, it's still a force at third and if he was tagged out the run shouldn't count. should it?