UMPIRES

The_Peon

First, what happened to spelling? Second, after all of the drama with umpire pay at the beginning of the season, I feel very fortunate to even have umpires! Out of all our games so far there has been some bad calls, but for the most part the officiating has been usual and consistent for both sides. I say usual because bad calls are just part of baseball! No game usually comes down to one bad call or even several. If the team would have hit better, had less errors, or pitched better, it would have taken the umpire completely out of the game!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't like it when fans and coaches holler at the officials. i realize it's part of the game but i know coaches don't like for parents to holler at them and telling them how to do their job so why should they feel they can holler at officials because they don't like the way they are doing theirs.

i don't like it when fans and coaches holler at the officials. i realize it's part of the game but i know coaches don't like for parents to holler at them and telling them how to do their job so why should they feel they can holler at officials because they don't like the way they are doing theirs.

I have a little more patience with coaches getting on officials, since the coach's job is tied to success. The major problems are that coaches and fans are not objective, so they feel like they are getting hosed on every close call they do not get. The officials com in armed with a chip on their shoulder and the knowledge that no coach wants to end up in front.

Probably because you never read a rule book, had a chip on your shoulder, and sucked at officiating.

not exactly. i shined my shoes, showed up on time and STAYED read up on the rule book and case book........

not to mention that i've been asked to umpire 3 and 4 rounds deep in the state playoffs.

my gripe is at the officials who HAVEN'T read the rule book.

I have a little more patience with coaches getting on officials, since the coach's job is tied to success. The major problems are that coaches and fans are not objective, so they feel like they are getting hosed on every close call they do not get. The officials com in armed with a chip on their shoulder and the knowledge that no coach wants to end up in front.

i agree with what you said about umpires. there are some not all that do come in with a chip on their shoulder and aren't even willing to discuss a call with the coach in a respectful manner. those are the ones that don't deserve to be treated with respect but, i think with most of them they would be more than willing to discuss the call or non call. i just don't like to see a fan or coach fly off the handle the 1st time they feel the umpire makes a bad call.

not exactly. i shined my shoes, showed up on time and STAYED read up on the rule book and case book........

not to mention that i've been asked to umpire 3 and 4 rounds deep in the state playoffs.

my gripe is at the officials who HAVEN'T read the rule book.

"stayed read up" ?

Uh Huh....OK....

You readed it and readed it so you could stayed up

i'm afraid i'm not following your sarcasm.

it is what it is. how about i took pride in doing a good job and i knew that the more effort i put into it the better i'd be at it. maybe that makes more sense. i don't see much effort to be a good umpire at the games i've been at.

The only thing I can think of is "wow" on your comments peon. I cant believe a self called former umpire on here bashing other umpires. I know real umpires, I have called with some of the best, and I have called with guys that are trying to improve their game, but I have never seen an umpire (former and current) come on here and bash a fellow umpire.

If you were truely concerned for the shape of umpiring in east texas, why dont you do somthing about it than come on a public board and make remarks the way you have. Your just a problem maker, not a problem solver. I am sure glad my pops raised me by saying "dont complain about things unless your ready to help fix it".

So, it is a free board, and you can complain all you want and bash east texas umpires, and I could care less if you put up or shut up to help out, but I truely think it is sad that you, a former umpire acting they way you are on here. I hope that you didnt run to many young guys off from officiating because they were not good enough when you called in your other state."

The only thing I can think of is "wow" ois n your comments peon. I cant believe a self called former umpire on here bashing other umpires. I know real umpires, I have called with some of the best, and I have called with guys that are trying to improve their game, but I have never seen an umpire (former and current) come on here and bash a fellow umpire.

If you were truely concerned for the shape of umpiring in east texas, why dont you do somthing about it than come on a public board and make remarks the way you have. Your just a problem maker, not a problem solver. I am sure glad my pops raised me by saying "dont complain about things unless your ready to help fix it".

So, it is a free board, and you can complain all you want and bash east texas umpires, and I could care less if you put up or shut up to help out, but I truely think it is sad that you, a former umpire acting they way you are on here. I hope that you did run to many young guys off from officiating because they were not good enough when you called in your other state."

i'm just a guy who has spent time on both sides of it now and i'm just saying what i've seen. if you don't like it don't read it. i don't think i'm causing a problem here.

You readed it and readed it so you could stayed up

What I believe the guy is saying is that coaches but work/hours into winning ball games, kids put work/hours into winning ball games, and it doesnt do the game justice if the officials dont do their work aswell. The true outcome is not exact. If you know the game of baseball, you understand that a call can change the outcome of a game. If an umpire cannot take 15 minutes out of his day to know what an infield fly is then he doesnt do his job. Anybody can see that a kids safe or out, and with a little experience you can tell a ball from a strike. But when things are at stake can you tell interference from live play? Infield fly from a fly ball? The coaches can. They studied the book. Its there job.

If you were truely a high school umpire... and you truely cared about the integrity of baseball officiating, you would be a guy who would have handled it in a different way.

thats the thing. i'm not a high school umpire anymore. like i said, i'm on the other side of it now and i can have alot of patience with officials. i'm not getting kicked out of games or stuck in the dugout. and our kids know by now that sometimes bad officials are part of it. all i'm saying is that in the little part of texas that i live in its really bad from what i've seen. forgive me if i offended you. our chapter isn't out of east texas. i've seen plenty of good ones from several chapters, and i'm sure you've seen bad ones too and thought to yourself, "WOW". our kids deserve to play a game that is governed by rules and those rules are enforced by umpires.....not made up by umpires or negleted by umpires.

Some of us current umpires have been on the other side of the line too... and not as a volunteer. And I agree the game needs to be called to the level and guidelines of the Federation Rule Book. And all chapters can do is keep having clinics and training, but until we get more people involved, we are going to be short on officials, and to tell you the truth it is kinda hard to keep them around with people not being flexable and any time learning the rules, and mechanics. And if you are not in east texas, why would you start this comment in an east texas forum? I dont know, I am sorry that you have had some guys that have not called your games well. I hope things get better for you and have a great season.

Some of us current umpires have been on the other side of the line too... and not as a volunteer. And I agree the game needs to be called to the level and guidelines of the Federation Rule Book. And all chapters can do is keep having clinics and training, but until we get more people involved, we are going to be short on officials, and to tell you the truth it is kinda hard to keep them around with people not being flexable and any time learning the rules, and mechanics. And if you are not in east texas, why would you start this comment in an east texas forum? I dont know, I am sorry that you have had some guys that have not called your games well. I hope things get better for you and have a great season.

I'll tell you this much, I coach is very appriciative of a good consistant umpire. Saw one today. Sounds like you take pride in what you do and your proabably a sound official. Its just a real heartache when you dont get what you think you deserve in a ballgame. Especially if you love the game. It's a shame we're running so thin on umps. Hell, maybe they need to up the pay and make it more hard to be certified. Must ref so many games a month or loose certification. Maybe a field test. Good luck.

i used to coach in east texas, i just thought i'd hear different opinions on here. and you're right about being flexable and having time to spend to learn mechanics and get training. no one can expect a guy to step on the field and be ready for different situations without the training. we used to put vets with new guys, even deep into district play. some new guys learned and some got paychecks. its probably the same everywhere.

Cutting the pay had a significant impact on quality. I know of at least 4-5 experienced guys that have either quit, or drastically cut back their availability to umpire HS ball due to the hard line that UIL took in regards to 1204. There is very little opportunity to train new officials--not too many people want to practice umpiring in January for free. Since every official is needed to cover the games, the training takes place on the field. It is easy to get games and that can be directly linked to the low pay and hostility towards the umps from idiotic fans and a few coaches who don't know how to pick their battles.

DLUUMP...is the Longview chapter using the deep stance exclusively?

During a district meeting about four five years ago, we had a training from an umpire that was teaching that mechanic. Personally, I do not use it because I feel to open to punishment from foul ####, lazy catchers etc. The instructors idea of it was you were able to see thing much better. I dont agree, but it is what the umpire is comfortable using. I tried it a little on some summer league to see what it was like but I didnt care for it.

I hope something is resolved with the UIL but from what I hear the UIL is making moves to form their own chapters to officiate games. I will probably not call if they take away the ability for TASO or whatever seperate ruling body cover officiating sports. If that happens it will be a monopoly and control for the UIL to do whatever they want. I have never had the UIL do anything for officials in protection, insurance etc. I have never even heard a nice word from them for what we do. Granted when was the last time a Tyler, Longview, or SFA umpire get invited to the state tournament. I think it has been a long time. I know of several umpires from both chapters that would do an excellent job in Austin. But do to the struggles between the UIL and the east texas chapters, I dont think it will happen any time soon.

I do like teaming vetran umpires with the newer officials to help teach and train during live games. I enjoy helping new guys and helping them learn to call the game. There is a lot of guys out there that know baseball and would probably be good officials, I just dont understand why that wont come and call when they are so short fused on the guys that are out there working.

I personally have no chip on my shoulder about calling this year. Would I put up with as much as before... probably not, but I have like many other umpires installed in my head that it is not the coaches that have cause the situation, but the UIL. And trust me, I have already heard from the stands, yall wanted more pay and you call like this? What am I to think?

If you were truely a high school umpire... and you truely cared about the integrity of baseball officiating, you would be a guy who would have handled it in a different way.

I personally know the peon. I have watched him call ball games before from the field and behind the plate. Trust me he is one who takes pride in what he does and is very particular on doing things right. He knows the game and how to call and coach one. I think some of you are overreacting to what he has brought up. I think that if the said umpires are going to show up and call a game they need to act professional (ie show up on time and know the rule book).

What I believe the guy is saying is that coaches but work/hours into winning ball games, kids put work/hours into winning ball games, and it doesnt do the game justice if the officials dont do their work aswell. The true outcome is not exact. If you know the game of baseball, you understand that a call can change the outcome of a game. If an umpire cannot take 15 minutes out of his day to know what an infield fly is then he doesnt do his job. Anybody can see that a kids safe or out, and with a little experience you can tell a ball from a strike. But when things are at stake can you tell interference from live play? Infield fly from a fly ball? The coaches can. They studied the book. Its there job.

Amen.