Cowboys Draft

It's going to be a boring 1st day for Cowboy fans!

Draft 2009

Pick

Rd 2, Pick 19 (51)

Rd 3, Pick 5 (69)

Rd 4, Pick 1 (101)

Rd 4, Pick 17 (117)

Rd 5, Pick 20 (156)

Rd 5, Pick 30 (166)

Rd 5, Pick 36 (172)

Rd 6, Pick 24 (197)

Rd 6, Pick 35 (208)

Rd 7, Pick 1 (210)

Rd 7, Pick 18 (227)

The Cowboys can stock up on more marginal\mediocre players the 2nd day ... as usual!!!! :w00t:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be a boring 1st day for Cowboy fans!

The Cowboys can stock up on more marginal\mediocre players the 2nd day ... as usual!!!! :w00t:

You know, the Cowboys traded into the first round last year. We could be surprised, although I'm not sure if the talent at the bottom of the 1st this year would warrant it (unless a prime linebacker fell late or something). You never know.

If the Cowboys keep drafting second day mediocre players like Scandrick, Canty, Watkins, James, Crayton, Witten, Ratliff, Burnett, Barber, Choice, Free, and Anderson, I'll keep taking them.

You know, the Cowboys traded into the first round last year. We could be surprised, although I'm not sure if the talent at the bottom of the 1st this year would warrant it (unless a prime linebacker fell late or something). You never know.

If the Cowboys keep drafting second day mediocre players like Scandrick, Canty, Watkins, James, Crayton, Witten, Ratliff, Burnett, Barber, Choice, Free, and Anderson, I'll keep taking them.

Agreed that's a very solid list of players.

• 3 weeks later...

What round is Kiper saying Barden will go in? Barden may be a good choice for a 6th-7th rounder, but I wouldn't take a guy that's going to have to work on the practice squad a few years before then. He's going to have to learn to be a wideout.

He wouldn't bring any upside for playing time immediately. He comes from a double wing offense and can't play special teams.

Barden would be an interesting grab mid-draft, there's no doubt about that. He's a jump-ball receiver, and there aren't going to be guys even in the NFL that are going to be able to outjump him.

Barden is going to come with a learning curve, though. His stats are all from playing marginal competition. He has to build up to his speed and may need time adjusting to press coverage. He's not a good route runner. He gets the alligator arms when in traffic.

He's intriguing to me, if he can be had in the 4th or lower. I certainly would never use a 2nd round pick on him, and I hope the Cowboys won't as well.

What the NFL, as a whole, doesn't need is another T.O. attitude. I would love to see the "It's all about me" WR become extinct. T.O. and Plexico Burress have been issued pink slips and are on their last leg of NFL chances. Burress may have already used all of his. Ocho Cinco needs to be next, I can't understand why the Bungals continue to hold on to this guy.

What the NFL, as a whole, doesn't need is another T.O. attitude. I would love to see the "It's all about me" WR become extinct. T.O. and Plexico Burress have been issued pink slips and are on their last leg of NFL chances. Burress may have already used all of his. Ocho Cinco needs to be next, I can't understand why the Bungals continue to hold on to this guy.

I don't know if that WR persona will be extinct. Sure, guys like Burress and Owens may be on their last chances, but guys like Boldin and Fitzgerald are being hyped to the roof, Percy Harvin had ESPN singing his praises until not so long ago, and guys Ocho Cinco will still find a job somewhere.

I don't know if that WR persona will be extinct. Sure, guys like Burress and Owens may be on their last chances, but guys like Boldin and Fitzgerald are being hyped to the roof, Percy Harvin had ESPN singing his praises until not so long ago, and guys Ocho Cinco will still find a job somewhere.

The thing about Fitzgerald and some other top WRs is they seem to be for the team not just for their individual stats. Not sure about Boldin and his attitude.

T.O. and Chad Johnson are unfortunately probably always going to have a team that will take a chance on them until their skills decline badly. Hopefully with recent issues being handled the way they have been, some of these guys will keep their "me first" attitude in check and put the team first.

If it doesn't become extinct maybe it will become an endangered species.

As far as the draft... take the best player available at 51. Without any seriously glaring needs, that would be the best course of action in my mind.

Fitzgerald isn't for the team to any extent that would be above average compared to others. He's been in trouble with the law and has been holding his team hostage for a big payday until they got rolling in the playoffs. When the camera was on, Fitz and the Cards talked a better game than they had played up to that point. His play is fine, but he wasn't going to change his pay day to keep Boldin either until the Cards were SB bound.

As for Boldin, he wants more money and can't get it in Arizona, so he's going to try anything to get out. Same thing has Jason Peters, who turned down every offer Buffalo threw at him this past year.

Jerry won't take a WR in round 2 because it would be an indictment of the Roy Williams trade. That's unfortunate because the 2nd round seems to be where a lot of WR talent will go off the board.

Look for names like:

William Beatty OT UConn

Michael Johnson DE Ga Tech

Sean Smith S Utah

Andrew Levitre OG Ore St

Ron Brace DT BC

Willaim Moore S Mizz

Jarron Gilbert DT SJ St

Jerry won't take a WR in round 2 because it would be an indictment of the Roy Williams trade. That's unfortunate because the 2nd round seems to be where a lot of WR talent will go off the board.

Look for names like:

William Beatty OT UConn

Michael Johnson DE Ga Tech

Sean Smith S Utah

Andrew Levitre OG Ore St

Ron Brace DT BC

Willaim Moore S Mizz

Jarron Gilbert DT SJ St

I'm all for Sean Smith. A press-bail corner big enough to use on tight ends so DWare won't have to do it. We need that more than we even need another nosetackle.

How 'bout them Cowboys? :w00t:

Jones may try and trade down even further ... to the third day to get some real sleepers!!!

They would fit right in with the Wade Phillips system.

Did anyone log onto the "live" Cowboy's War Room during the draft? Wade looked like he was asleep most of the time starring forward into space while the Jones boys did all the scheming!!! :w00t: