Cowboys Draft

I like Siavii's size (6'5", 320 lbs) and maybe another off-season through "Jurazseck Park" may make him the beast the Cowboys need in the middle. Dixon is still a little light (6'4", 285 lbs), even lighter than Ratliff (6' 4", 302 lbs) but he is a decent player. I think they should take Brewster (6' 4", 325 lbs) and convert him into a G/NT this season. Wouldn't that be something special in the NFL? Probably would never happen but that would save a roster spot right there.

Marcus Spears is another one they could slide into NT. He has the size (6' 4", 315 lbs). There is also another DT Tim Anderson of the same size as Spears, I forgot about him. He was signed in January and has played for Atlanta and Buffalo.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dave and THS ..... with your way of looking at things then I take it you both were losers in sports.

Oh..I never won the Heisman like you, but I did fairly well.

As a matter of fact....I now agree with you on the draft. Dallas did great. In the future they should trade all their #1 & #2s to pick up extra 3, 4, & 5s. Besides saving money they can really pick up some great extra talent. :rolleyes:

THS, now your saying the Cowboys did fairly well. That's an improvement from earlier. Dallas needed to get several players that could be productive on the team. The intent wasn't to get starters for this season. Learn to read whats going on here. They need to build depth. Without wasting a bunch of money they don't have.

Goofballer, Your draft logic makes no sense what so ever! THSfanatic is right, they need to get rid of all those high draft choices and "aim low" for the 5th, 6th and 7th rounders where they can pile up those extra picks ... 'cause they can't afford them? What a crock!!!! Don't you realize all those 1st and 2nd rounders you want us to pass up will be lining up against our scrubs? Naw .. we don't need to waste money on the better players ... well ... we don't need no stinking badges either!

:lol: :w00t: :lol:

i'm sorry, but i'm with spaceballer on this one.

dallas has an elite team. injuries really hurt the cowboys last season, as did special teams. not only that, but the talent that dallas has is young...romo, witten, barber, jones, williams, ware, james, miles austin, scandrick, jenkins, ect are all under the age of 30...and terance newman is 30...but who is behind those guys?

i would rather take guys that will improve the spots that hurt us last year, than take guys that will be rotating in for two plays every other series. thats what the draft is all about

A team built on late round hopefuls that is destined for greatness! I'm just not buying it. I don't see an "elite" team here with this crop of under achievers already in place or the new ones coming in this year. The vast majority of the names you rattled off are not going to get you to the promised land when you keep passing on the top draft talent each year! Just not buying it!!!

More like an inferior team, that chokes at the end of the year. To many chiefs not enough Indians, living in the past, not moving to the future is more like it. But I guess ya'll are happy with that.

Your hopeless. No wonder you never succeeded as an athlete. You don't have a team mentality.

You are clueless about my athletic background dude! Who are you Kreskin or Karnack the Magnificent? LOL

A team built on late round hopefuls that is destined for greatness! I'm just not buying it. I don't see an "elite" team here with this crop of under achievers already in place or the new ones coming in this year. The vast majority of the names you rattled off are not going to get you to the promised land when you keep passing on the top draft talent each year! Just not buying it!!!

ok lets say they had NOT traded for Williams and had the first round pick..With the needs Dallas needed, who would you have taken with that pick?

Almost every "expert" and even NFL personell people were saying this draft was not real deep in the first round..So do you take a WR?....How many rookie WRs really come into the NFL and jump right into the league and flourish( even if Williams has a so so year of say 60 catches 800 yds and 6 TDs, that will most likely dwarf what any of the rookie WRS who would have been in the draft at the point Dallas

ok so what about an OL..What first round pick in the 20th spot would step in right now at OL and start?

What about the safety position..Which player at safety would you have taken with the 20th spot?

Dallas as ALL NFL teams has holes of course but lets not act like Dallas was 3-13 last year with glaring problems up and down the field. We as Cowboy fans do have a feast or famine attitude and sometimes we act like a 9-7 was one of the worst teams, when they were not. They basically were a bad special team game agianst Arizona( gave up 14 points on special teams alone) and a bad two minutes agianst Pitt from being an 11-5 team at worst...and that was agianst the two SB teams BOTH GAMES ON THE ROAD

The way the Ravens game ended and of course the 44-6 loss to Philly has left such a bad taste in Cowboy fans mouth they forget that the team when Romo was starting was 8-5 and again this team got hit hard with injuries after the year before basically were injury free.

This team IMO did not need to draft stars or even guys who will be stars, they have enough of that on both sides of the ball..What they did need imo were hungry young athletic guys who can play in packages on both sides of the ball, add some depth and more importantly can make an impact on special teams, because imo ranking WHY the season went how it went I rank it like this

1. Romo's injury

2. Special teams (already mentioned the Zona gamr..but people forget about the big punt return Pitt had that kept them in the game)

Those were the two BIGGEST problems and everything else snowballed off of those two things imo and again IMO they addressed the special teams with players now it remains to be seen if they truly addressed the depth issue with these same guys

ok lets say they had NOT traded for Williams and had the first round pick..With the needs Dallas needed, who would you have taken with that pick?

Almost every "expert" and even NFL personell people were saying this draft was not real deep in the first round..So do you take a WR?....How many rookie WRs really come into the NFL and jump right into the league and flourish( even if Williams has a so so year of say 60 catches 800 yds and 6 TDs, that will most likely dwarf what any of the rookie WRS who would have been in the draft at the point Dallas

ok so what about an OL..What first round pick in the 20th spot would step in right now at OL and start?

What about the safety position..Which player at safety would you have taken with the 20th spot?

Dallas as ALL NFL teams has holes of course but lets not act like Dallas was 3-13 last year with glaring problems up and down the field. We as Cowboy fans do have a feast or famine attitude and sometimes we act like a 9-7 was one of the worst teams, when they were not. They basically were a bad special team game agianst Arizona( gave up 14 points on special teams alone) and a bad two minutes agianst Pitt from being an 11-5 team at worst...and that was agianst the two SB teams BOTH GAMES ON THE ROAD

The way the Ravens game ended and of course the 44-6 loss to Philly has left such a bad taste in Cowboy fans mouth they forget that the team when Romo was starting was 8-5 and again this team got hit hard with injuries after the year before basically were injury free.

This team IMO did not need to draft stars or even guys who will be stars, they have enough of that on both sides of the ball..What they did need imo were hungry young athletic guys who can play in packages on both sides of the ball, add some depth and more importantly can make an impact on special teams, because imo ranking WHY the season went how it went I rank it like this

1. Romo's injury

2. Special teams (already mentioned the Zona gamr..but people forget about the big punt return Pitt had that kept them in the game)

Those were the two BIGGEST problems and everything else snowballed off of those two things imo and again IMO they addressed the special teams with players now it remains to be seen if they truly addressed the depth issue with these same guys

Since WR seems to be a sport where the Cowboys obviously felt they needed help, (remember they were trying to trade up to get Maclin) if they still had their #1 draft pick they might have been in a position to move up a few picks to get Maclin. Also, a top WR like Maclin is likely to get better each year. I believe he would be at least as productive as Williams the first 1-2 years and even better after that. I just don't believe RW was worth anywhere close to a #1 draft choice.

My main point is you just can't build an elite tier NFL team if you keep passing on the best talent available when it's your turn to make a selection. Pittsburgh doesn't do it and none of the other "top" teams do it that way. You only get a few shots at drafting the blue-chip players and you can't keep looking for diamonds in the rough. Yea, the Cowboys will make the playoffs most years, but you don't win many Superbowls without some stars.

Since WR seems to be a sport where the Cowboys obviously felt they needed help, (remember they were trying to trade up to get Maclin) if they still had their #1 draft pick they might have been in a position to move up a few picks to get Maclin. Also, a top WR like Maclin is likely to get better each year. I believe he would be at least as productive as Williams the first 1-2 years and even better after that. I just don't believe RW was worth anywhere close to a #1 draft choice.

My main point is you just can't build an elite tier NFL team if you keep passing on the best talent available when it's your turn to make a selection. Pittsburgh doesn't do it and none of the other "top" teams do it that way. You only get a few shots at drafting the blue-chip players and you can't keep looking for diamonds in the rough. Yea, the Cowboys will make the playoffs most years, but you don't win many Superbowls without some stars.

and my point is Dallas has PLENTY of stars..in fact last year I think they had to many STARS and not enough nitty gritty football players.

You say none of the other teams do that...NE traded out of first round they seem to know what they are doing

on Maclin..I like him, but again how many rookie WRs come into the league and light it up? Most even take 2-3 years to fully develop and become a force( yes Randy Moss came in blazing) but most dont

Also I am not a real big fan of his 6'0 198 frame..Dallas needs a big guy to be there possesion guy, Maclin would not be that..so if they had not traded for RW and still released TO( I really dont think they do) but for this sake lets say they do..then who is your possesion guy?

it is not like Roy Williams is 33 with a year or two left. He is young enough and now hopefully healthy to become someone Dallas can count on..and I DONT think he HAS to put up TO numbers for the trade to be a success

I think Williams needs around 900-1000 yards and 8 tds..cause I really do think we see a "diff" Dallas O this year relying more on the ground attack and also spreading the ball around more

would not surprise me to see Witten with 1K yards, Roy with close to that and then Austin or Crayton with 600-700 yards

and I really think if Austin can stay healthy he might have a monster year, he has the size and speed

but back to this draft..I think Dallas played it well..THEIR board did not have player valuse at 51 so they traded down..most experts are not even saying they picked bad players, just that they did not have a pic in first two rounds. That is what so strange about some of the draft grades, I have yet to hear or read an expert say man Dallas made some real reaches..in fact most give credit for the McGee pick and the Mickens pick.

Going back to your stars needed to win the SB..really? I dont think that is as true as it once was..How many Stars did Pitt have this year? How many stars did NYG have last year? how many stars has NE had during their run?

We really have some dumb football minded people on this board. Kirt you my friend need to read a book called NFL Draft for dummies and then you can be allowed to come back to this discussion. Maclin can't even run a NFL route tree let alone come close to being as productive as a veteran like Roy Williams. Maclin came out of a spread offense which is not NFL friendly, and if you need any proof just look at what people in the NFL think about Harrell and Daniels due to the offense they ran. Why do people keep thinking that Roy Williams is not a good receiver? This guy was a first round draft pick 5 years ago and has had some productive seasons. We as Cowboy fan expect way too much way too fast. Be patient, it takes time to build a good team and all things have to come together in the season to win. Chemistry is everything weather it is football or relationships. 1st round receivers are the most dangerous pick in the draft, they have boom bust written all over them. Maybe Manny can turn in to a Marques Colston type player. Remember Tony Romo wasn’t drafted, Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick, and Terrell Davis was a 6th Round pick. Judging the draft off top is stupid and can’t be judged for another 3 years. Most team’s picks don’t pan out; if we hit on just 3 of these players and they become starters and contribute we had a successful draft.

We really have some dumb football minded people on this board. Kirt you my friend need to read a book called NFL Draft for dummies and then you can be allowed to come back to this discussion. Maclin can't even run a NFL route tree let alone come close to being as productive as a veteran like Roy Williams. Maclin came out of a spread offense which is not NFL friendly, and if you need any proof just look at what people in the NFL think about Harrell and Daniels due to the offense they ran. Why do people keep thinking that Roy Williams is not a good receiver? This guy was a first round draft pick 5 years ago and has had some productive seasons. We as Cowboy fan expect way too much way too fast. Be patient, it takes time to build a good team and all things have to come together in the season to win. Chemistry is everything weather it is football or relationships. 1st round receivers are the most dangerous pick in the draft, they have boom bust written all over them. Maybe Manny can turn in to a Marques Colston type player. Remember Tony Romo wasn’t drafted, Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick, and Terrell Davis was a 6th Round pick. Judging the draft off top is stupid and can’t be judged for another 3 years. Most team’s picks don’t pan out; if we hit on just 3 of these players and they become starters and contribute we had a successful draft.

amen.

There is very little chance of Maclin being productive for a couple years. That just doesn't happen very often. Sure occasionally there is just the right fit and chemistry is just perfect. Just not very often. Just because Dallas didn't get the chance to get him or some other players on their board does not mean they were desperate. They still were drafting value for their needs.

RW will be a very good pick-up for Dallas. We don't need a star player at every position to win. We have a good team as it is. They have already shown we are a dominant team when healthy. Yeah there are always weak spots. That is on EVERY team. Our passing game consists of more than just WR's. Jason W. is considered one of the best and we have a couple running backs that can catch the ball very well. We are looking to be very balanced with our skills and that should open up the game.

Rams your badly mistaken to think all teams go through injuries like Dallas did last year. It all depends on who gets hurt and how bad. It hurt Dallas more because the positions that got hurt were weak in depth. Dallas has said that they need more depth. Contrary to some belief there are rules to follow and you can only pay so much for players. They have a limit you know and can't pay premium dollars for every one.

why would those guys not get you there? some of those players are either top 5 caliber at their position like ware, witten, romo, newman...

what i was getting at is those players are either at the beggining or at the peak of their career...getting a first round pick in this years draft is close to pointless because that player would be doing the exact same thing the guys they drafted are going to do....play on special teams and watch the guy who starts in front of him.

bobby carpenter is a prime example of what i'm talking about

getting a first round pick in this years draft is close to pointless because that player would be doing the exact same thing the guys they drafted are going to do....play on special teams a

Not necessarily. There is a place on this team for safeties, WRs, and OLs. If you are going to look at the team like this, then IMO you are mortgaging whatever future the team has. You can't play catch-up in the NFL. You have to keep adding pieces that can start either now or in 1 or 2 years.

i think Stephen Hodge (Tatum/TCU) was the steal of the draft. he's an all around athlete and a heck of a FS that might be starting by the time the regular season comes around. he can also contribute to special teams as a kick returner. he got lost in the shuffle but i remember him from his HS days as well from the last two years as a Frog. solid all around player, smart and has a motor that won't quit.