20 1A all district

TyCobb

just wanted to say, i've been impressed with some of the guys this year and wanted to say so. beckville- the catcher and their ace pitcher(sorry i can't spell his name) boganshuts or something like that. carlisle-wherry, stewart, hiem, martin, skelton, coleman, and i'm sure i'm leaving off a few. oh, like the other pitcher( sorry can't remember his name). hawkins had a few that looked pretty good as well. i'll leave the nominations of overton kids to you guys not from here( don't want to start that junk). anyone else you guys can think of?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are numerous players that have impressed:

1. Darden of course...walk him and it is automatic triple for sure if no one is on base in front of him.

2. 3rd baseman from Hawkins...range and a cannon

3. pitcher from Beckville

4. Carlisle--Coleman as well as 1st baseman

5. Hawkins pitcher righty/lefty combo guy

There are numerous players that have impressed:

1. Darden of course...walk him and it is automatic triple for sure if no one is on base in front of him.

2. 3rd baseman from Hawkins...range and a cannon

3. pitcher from Beckville

4. Carlisle--Coleman as well as 1st baseman

5. Hawkins pitcher righty/lefty combo guy

do you give more kids from the winning teams votes because they won or do you make it all even? i would think more would come off of a carlisle squad, because they played better baseball during district. or do you say, their pitching got them there, with a few bats mixed in. and vote for kids like the LC kids that is a good athlete with not a lot around him. i think carlisle kids have to be given credit, even if the pitchers where very good.

do you give more kids from the winning teams votes because they won or do you make it all even? i would think more would come off of a carlisle squad, because they played better baseball during district. or do you say, their pitching got them there, with a few bats mixed in. and vote for kids like the LC kids that is a good athlete with not a lot around him. i think carlisle kids have to be given credit, even if the pitchers where very good.

I think it is all about how that particular person performed against my team. Some kids are not going to have their "A" games the 2 times we play each other. Some of these great pitchers my team will not see because they are playing another position against us. So, can I vote for a kid as a pitcher if I never saw him pitch?? I think that is a legit question. Take Darden, unless he throws against us next week, all I will have seen him do is play CF, where he got one ball his direction. Hitting, he tore us up, so do I or even CAN I vote for him as a pitcher just on word of mouth?

I think it is all about how that particular person performed against my team. Some kids are not going to have their "A" games the 2 times we play each other. Some of these great pitchers my team will not see because they are playing another position against us. So, can I vote for a kid as a pitcher if I never saw him pitch?? I think that is a legit question. Take Darden, unless he throws against us next week, all I will have seen him do is play CF, where he got one ball his direction. Hitting, he tore us up, so do I or even CAN I vote for him as a pitcher just on word of mouth?

no, i don't think a coach should vote for a kid because of word of mouth. but i do think you should ask for a book to look at, or his pitching stats, or his batting aver. i don't think you should just vote on what you see when they play your team. what if that's the worst two games a kid has all year and kills the ball the rest of the year. all district honors should come from all of the district games. because a kid can't control when the coach put him in or where.

no, i don't think a coach should vote for a kid because of word of mouth. but i do think you should ask for a book to look at, or his pitching stats, or his batting aver. i don't think you should just vote on what you see when they play your team. what if that's the worst two games a kid has all year and kills the ball the rest of the year. all district honors should come from all of the district games. because a kid can't control when the coach put him in or where.

thats all a coach has to go on though. He can only nominate or vote on what he has seen. But i do know that when a coach nominates a kid, he lists their stats. And, those stats do sometimes look so impressive that a coach might vote just because of those.

our district is 8 teams. if a coach just votes on what he sees at his games, a player could have six great games and stink in rest of the games and be all district. a more streaky player has an advantage when coaches just vote on what they see at their games. a guy can hit .350-.400 and go 1-3 to 2-5 in each game and be out voted by a guy with a .250 average because he hit better against your pitching, then he did against anyone elses. to me the questions a coach should ask is how did the kid hit against coleman, darden, simmons, the beckville ace, the hawkins ace, williamson, or some of the better teams. i would think you would want the best the district has to offer as all district. not the best that played one perticular team.

our district is 8 teams. if a coach just votes on what he sees at his games, a player could have six great games and stink in rest of the games and be all district. a more streaky player has an advantage when coaches just vote on what they see at their games. a guy can hit .350-.400 and go 1-3 to 2-5 in each game and be out voted by a guy with a .250 average because he hit better against your pitching, then he did against anyone elses. to me the questions a coach should ask is how did the kid hit against coleman, darden, simmons, the beckville ace, the hawkins ace, williamson, or some of the better teams. i would think you would want the best the district has to offer as all district. not the best that played one perticular team.

THE COACHES ARE JUST GOING TO VOTE ON THEIR FAVORITES ANYWAY. SO IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THEY DID IN DISTRICT. THEY ALL TALK THOUGH OUT THE YEAR AND BASICALLY NOW HOW IT'S GOING TO WORK IT'S SELF OUT ANY WAY. KIDS LIKE THE ACE FROM CARLISLE, HAWKINS, BECKVILLE, OR OVERTON ARE GOING TO MAKE IT OFF OF WORD OF MOUTH, EVEN IF THEY WHERE TO HAVE BAD YEARS! THEY'RE UPPER CLASSMEN AND WILL MAKE IT OFF OF HISTORY! JMO!

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT ALL DISTRICT HONORS ANYWAY! THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT! HOW ABOUT FINISHING UP THE DISTRICT SCHEDULE STRONG AND CARRYING THAT MOMENTUM INTO THE PLAYOFFS!!

us daddys have nothing to do with finishing up district or momentum for the playoffs. we aren't on the field and as long as we aren't talking to our kids about it, what does it hurt? i just wanted to know what some of the other posters thought of the kids as we where going though district. i know what i think, but sometime it's nice to have an outside opp. not to ment. someone posted "they thought the overton catcher was the best in district" on the district standing post, so i open up a forum to discuss such things.

here lets trim this down just a little bit just to get a little more specific, lets start with the superlatives, which are normally mvp, offense mvp, defense mvp and newcomer

For MVP my vote goes to darden--he is the total package and i think he means more to his team than anybody else

Offensive MVP--i'll take cannon--just a solid all around stick (also him and darden could easily be flip flopped)

Defensive MVP--i like miles the catcher from beckville, if we truly go by the award and look at just defense, i think he plays his position the best, i can say with firm belief that he makes it easy for Coach Bridges to call pitches knowing that he has a catcher who can block anything, and in turn that builds confidence in the pitching to know he will stop anything

Newcomer-technically the catcher from carlisle fits in this category and so therefore ill take him, dont know his name but the kid has a solid stick and isnt bad defensively

here lets trim this down just a little bit just to get a little more specific, lets start with the superlatives, which are normally mvp, offense mvp, defense mvp and newcomer

For MVP my vote goes to darden--he is the total package and i think he means more to his team than anybody else

Offensive MVP--i'll take cannon--just a solid all around stick (also him and darden could easily be flip flopped)

Defensive MVP--i like miles the catcher from beckville, if we truly go by the award and look at just defense, i think he plays his position the best, i can say with firm belief that he makes it easy for Coach Bridges to call pitches knowing that he has a catcher who can block anything, and in turn that builds confidence in the pitching to know he will stop anything

Newcomer-technically the catcher from carlisle fits in this category and so therefore ill take him, dont know his name but the kid has a solid stick and isnt bad defensively

i thought heim played last year for carlisle?

MY MVP HAS TO GO TO COLEMAN-HIS TEAM IS UNDEFEATED AND SO IS HE(PITCHING)

OFFENSIVE MVP-WHO EVER HAS TO BEST OBP, BA, AND SLG.

DEFENSIVE MVP- I AGREE-MILES

NEWCOMER-HAS TO BE ONE OF THE FRESHMAN FROM CARLISLE OR OVERTON. MUCH MORE IMPRESSIVE TO SEE FRESHMAN PLAYING WELL, THAN A MOVE IN THAT SHOULD BE PLAYING THAT WAY.

so i'm guessing there will be mvp, o. mvp, d. mvp, new comer,1st team in all positions, 2nd team in all pos., and honorable mention. am i right? that's 31 kids right? 8 teams with 9 starters = 72 kids. should be some tuff sleding to even make 1st team.

thats all a coach has to go on though. He can only nominate or vote on what he has seen. But i do know that when a coach nominates a kid, he lists their stats. And, those stats do sometimes look so impressive that a coach might vote just because of those.

member nuber 122. you sure don't post much. looks like you where one of the first to join smoaky.

Darden and Coleman were co-mvp 2 years ago i believe, so i wouldnt argue if it happened again. But Coleman probably deserves it more since he is on the better team so I would give Darden offensive mvp and Miles Defensive. Newcomer should go to Wright from overton, he has hit the ball very well for a freshman and showed power.

Waskom beat Big Sandy tonight 14-7. Big Sandy jumped out to a big lead (7-1) and let it slip away. We can play some good ball at times, but can't stay focused the entire game one way or the other. The guys have worked hard even though the record does not show it. We were sure trying to throw a wrench into the playoff picture!

Waskom beat Big Sandy tonight 14-7. Big Sandy jumped out to a big lead (7-1) and let it slip away. We can play some good ball at times, but can't stay focused the entire game one way or the other. The guys have worked hard even though the record does not show it. We were sure trying to throw a wrench into the playoff picture!

THROW A WRENCH BABY! THROW A WRENCH!