Pine Tree Coaching Search Information

Smoaky

I think that there is a lot more potential at Pine Tree than most people realize. Yes, there football team does not have a history of winning, but you can't say that there are a lack of quality athletes there- they advanced a boys AND girls team to the post season in practically every other sport. Why their football team has continued to lose year after year is beyond me. Maybe there just isn't respect for the program from the kids, or maybe past coaches just haven't wanted to put in the work needed to grow the football program since it has never had much success before anyway. It is one of the best school districts in East Texas, and lacks many of the discipline and academic problems many of the other area high schools face.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athletic Director/Head Football Coach

Texas teaching certificate required

Salary $90,000+ Negotiable based on experience, accomplishments, and qualifications

o Direct, manage, and sustain the success of the overall athletic program for the high school and junior high

o Ability to develop and sustain an academic plan that keeps all athletes eligible to participate

o Ability to build a winning football program

o Preferred candidate will have state championship experience

o Head coaching experience preferred

I for one am excited that they are trying to get a good coach to Pine Tree and have at least set their expectations high. There are a lot of boys that care deeply about football and the program at Pine Tree, I know first hand, my son played for them recently. It is very easy for people all around East Texas to sit around and make comments about the program without ever knowing much about it except for the won-loss record. The comments make me laugh and often fell bad for the kids that read through these forums. Kudos to Whitaker and the rest of the Board for wanting the best.

I remember my Senior year at Kilgore, everyone said that James Cameron had lost his mind for leaving Rockwall to come and coach at a school that hadn't won a district title in over 20 years! He turned that program around and it hasn't looked back. Remember? I do.

I agree that PT is doing the right thing in setting their goals high. The Junior class this year...next years' seniors were pretty dang good in JH....I know it is JH ball. If I remember right, they only lost to Jax and Jeremy Chapelle and a very good Sulphur SPrings team in 9th grade...so yes there is talent there.

PT is not ready for DA!!! And I dont think Pine Tree athletes or parents are willing to do what it takes to be good in East Texas Football. Just by the statement alone " all of our other sports are good-- why cant we be good in football" Sorry but until you have one offseason program and share athletes from that -- YOU WILL LOSE!

Or have one off season and be good at football and horrible at everything else.

If this is an example of the attitude of most people in Pine Tree then you will not win. I hope this is just someone who is worried that the Tennis program will be worse because of a off season designed to make athletes bigger, faster, and stronger. I know that having your 2nd baseman being quicker and stronger would set that program back also.

PT is not ready for DA!!! And I dont think Pine Tree athletes or parents are willing to do what it takes to be good in East Texas Football. Just by the statement alone " all of our other sports are good-- why cant we be good in football" Sorry but until you have one offseason program and share athletes from that -- YOU WILL LOSE!

I disagree. You do not have to have one off-season to compete or win. Many schools are good in all sports without one off-season program. Look around beyond trees. LOL

Tobin L. Reid

Pine Tree needs a Coach is in it for the long haul. The school must allow him to surround himself with coaches who will buy into that as well. Pine Tree does NOT need a guy who is looking to get out of a bad situation of where they are at, or a guy who is just looking to get Head Coaching on their resume. Unfortunately, this will make up about 85% of those that apply. They need a guy who can win over the type of kids that Pine Tree has. It happens all the time. A coordinator from a big time school gets a job (like a Pine Tree) and he is job hunting the next Spring because the kids dont, or cant, do the same thing that the kids at their previous school could do.

There are alot of GOOD athletes at PT. There are not alot of GREAT athletes, even in soccer, tennis or track. If you lined-up athlete for athlete from Longview, TX High, Sulp. Srgs, Marshall, Kilgore, Hallsville, Mt. Pleast, Gilmer, Gladewater, Spring Hill. and the rest from the district or surrounding area PT would come in last amongst ALL of them. This is NOT knocking the PT kids or coaches in anyway, it is just a fact that can be easily seen in any sport. Even if you walk the halls at PT you are not gonna find athletes that would make you any better. When you have 10 athletes you can't compete with schools that have 20 or more on the other sideline.....NO MATTER WHAT OFF-SEASON PROGRAM YOU HAVE.

pt girls just won one of the stronger track districts around. I know you said total, just saying.

That is pretty awesome. I know we have not talked about the girls' side much, but the same statement I said earlier about the boys athletes can be said about the girls as well. Now, what does all this mean??? Do the girls coaches get more out of their players? Something to think about.

There are alot of GOOD athletes at PT. There are not alot of GREAT athletes, even in soccer, tennis or track. If you lined-up athlete for athlete from Longview, TX High, Sulp. Srgs, Marshall, Kilgore, Hallsville, Mt. Pleast, Gilmer, Gladewater, Spring Hill. and the rest from the district or surrounding area PT would come in last amongst ALL of them. This is NOT knocking the PT kids or coaches in anyway, it is just a fact that can be easily seen in any sport. Even if you walk the halls at PT you are not gonna find athletes that would make you any better. When you have 10 athletes you can't compete with schools that have 20 or more on the other sideline.....NO MATTER WHAT OFF-SEASON PROGRAM YOU HAVE.

Didnt PT almost make it to state in Soccer this year? I know they won district in Basketball. They

swept the lobos in both sports.....Looks like they may have some great athletes!!!!

Didnt PT almost make it to state in Soccer this year? I know they won district in Basketball. They

swept the lobos in both sports.....Looks like they may have some great athletes!!!!

This was started mostly as a football thread of PT, so most of my statement was regarding that sport. However, a great soccer athlete does not mean a great football athlete. Same goes for basketball. A few real good ones in both....I am not even going to talk about soccer cause I know nothing of the teams they beat to get where they were. I do know many of those soccer kids and very few would have contributed to football other than the 2 I know of that did.

I can't believe you made this statement. The fact that PT completes in all other sports makes it all the more ridiculous. I wonder what qualifies you as the expert.

Are you kidding me?!? Hallsville, Mt. Pleasant, Gladewater, and Spring Hill are all less athletic than Pine Tree! Everyone knows it is not always about how athletic you are. Look at Southlake Carroll, they are just a bunch of small white boys, but they are winning state championships on the highest level. If you are basing this off of one or two seasons, not every class of students is going to be as athletic as the ones in front or behind them.

Are you kidding me?!? Hallsville, Mt. Pleasant, Gladewater, and Spring Hill are all less athletic than Pine Tree! Everyone knows it is not always about how athletic you are. Look at Southlake Carroll, they are just a bunch of small white boys, but they are winning state championships on the highest level. If you are basing this off of one or two seasons, not every class of students is going to be as athletic as the ones in front or behind them.

Southlake has put more players into D1 college football than any program in the state over the past 5 years. Might want to check your facts before making that kind of statement. To compare the athletes at Pine Tree to Southlake Carroll should have you banned from posting.

Guest Bear_Den

Gladewater and Spring Hill are less athletic than Pine Tree? Please give a little more info to argue that one. I'm ready when you are!

Guest Bear_Den

^

^

^

And while you are thinking, remember the 2006 football season when Pine Tree took on Gladewater? Pine Tree was up 21-0 at the half and Gladewater outscored Pine Tree in the second half, 31-7, to go on and win 31-28.

Sounds like Gladewater was more athletic then and I know Gladewater is more than Pine Tree is now. Go look at the times from the 17-3A district track meet:

Sophomore Corey Davis---11.0 in the 100m dash (district champ)

Sophomore Cortney Davis---22.6 in the 200m dash (district champ)

Gladewater 400m relay-----(42.2)---District Champ

Gladewater 800m relay----(1:29.2)---District Champ

And after extensive research, the times for the 2 relays rank in the top 2 in 3A region 3.

It takes some athletes to run these kind of times.

What did PT's varsity boys run in these events?

PT can win with the right staff, admin. and community. Yes you have to have some athletes and PT has some. Its just like anything else, you must commit to something and get it done. The question of can they win..well what is your definition of winning, a state title, playoffs, a couple of rounds in the playoffs or what. IMO winning in HS football is have a shot at the title year in and year out. Can PT do this, yes in time with the right mix of the above facts. Coach Morris at LT is not coming...He makes more than $90,000 and their facilites are AWESOME!!!!!!

Guest Bear_Den
I don't know who will apply for this job or who gets this job.

But every one of you should know there is a big-time, multi-state championship coach who might be more interested than you think.

Doesn't mean he'll apply, but I know for a fact he might nibble.

Stay tuned.

David Smoak

David Husmann?

Todd Dodge?

^

^

^

And while you are thinking, remember the 2006 football season when Pine Tree took on Gladewater? Pine Tree was up 21-0 at the half and Gladewater outscored Pine Tree in the second half, 31-7, to go on and win 31-28.

Sounds like Gladewater was more athletic then and I know Gladewater is more than Pine Tree is now. Go look at the times from the 17-3A district track meet:

Sophomore Corey Davis---11.0 in the 100m dash (district champ)

Sophomore Cortney Davis---22.6 in the 200m dash (district champ)

Gladewater 400m relay-----(42.2)---District Champ

Gladewater 800m relay----(1:29.2)---District Champ

And after extensive research, the times for the 2 relays rank in the top 2 in 3A region 3.

It takes some athletes to run these kind of times.

What did PT's varsity boys run in these events?

You are Kidding right?

The last time PT and Gladewater played was in 2007. PT WON!!!!! 31-6. Ray Horton had 140 yards in that game and 3 TDs by halftime.

The LNJ has a list of the ET track elite:

100m dash 10:83 - Pollard from PT

200m dash 21:79 - Hart from PT

Those numbers are better than any from Gladewater.

Most 3A schools have the basic programs for athletics. PT is a larger school with soccer, wrestling, diving, golf, etc. in smaller schools with less options kids are more likely to go out for the mainstream sports because there is no soccer, wrestling, etc. so kids are less likely to specialize.

You really can not compare the small schools with the larger ones.

In 2008 PT beat Paris. PT could not win a district game, BUT Paris went UNDEFEATED through their 3A district.