9 men instead of 11

I know this is the wrong section, but I need opinions...

Last night two local little league teams squared off in the first game of a tournament being held this weekend. It was a pretty typical big-town v. small community battle and the small community won 14-4. After the game the losing coach pulled out his dixie league rule book and declared himself the winner because the other team only had 9 players (must have 11). To top it off, the losing team was the home team and was down 14-2 going into the bottom of the last inning. Since there is a 7 run rule, the game was already decided, but the winning mgr decided, at the losing mgrs request, to go ahead and play the bottom half for the kids - effectively burning up innings for a pitcher (clearly a nice gesture).

What are your thoughts??

The final ruling was that since this wasn't a "postseason" tournament the rule would not be used and the deserving team would get their win and rightfully so. IMO the losing mgr made a uknowhat out of himself and acted like a MEOW... Is this the kind of example he wants to set for his kids - if your best effort leaves you in defeat, try and find some loophole to claim victory - SAD..

Oh the kids are 9 and 10 year old...

I know this is the wrong section, but I need opinions...

Last night two local little league teams squared off in the first game of a tournament being held this weekend. It was a pretty typical big-town v. small community battle and the small community won 14-4. After the game the losing coach pulled out his dixie league rule book and declared himself the winner because the other team only had 9 players (must have 11). To top it off, the losing team was the home team and was down 14-2 going into the bottom of the last inning. Since there is a 7 run rule, the game was already decided, but the winning mgr decided, at the losing mgrs request, to go ahead and play the bottom half for the kids - effectively burning up innings for a pitcher (clearly a nice gesture).

What are your thoughts??

The final ruling was that since this wasn't a "postseason" tournament the rule would not be used and the deserving team would get their win and rightfully so. IMO the losing mgr made a uknowhat out of himself and acted like a MEOW... Is this the kind of example he wants to set for his kids - if your best effort leaves you in defeat, try and find some loophole to claim victory - SAD..

Oh the kids are 9 and 10 year old...

Sounds about right. Nobody is concerned about rules until it affects them. Where was this tournament played? In my opinion, the coach lost his right to protest as soon as the first pitch wass thrown. I guarantee you that he thoought he had an easy "W" before the game started. I love it when that happens.

The game was in New London....

It was pretty funny, before the game we went out and talked with the opposing mgr to confirm that the 7 run limit would be enforced and that the time limit would be 1 1/2 hour. He said "where ya'll from" when he heard Overton, he kinda smirked - i could tell he thought he was going to win. Coulda been worse than it was...

The other team was from Jacksonville.

I know their are rules and they should be followed, but being this nit-picky is..... well....

The game was in New London....

It was pretty funny, before the game we went out and talked with the opposing mgr to confirm that the 7 run limit would be enforced and that the time limit would be 1 1/2 hour. He said "where ya'll from" when he heard Overton, he kinda smirked - i could tell he thought he was going to win. Coulda been worse than it was...

The other team was from Jacksonville.

I know their are rules and they should be followed, but being this nit-picky is..... well....

Sounds like you guys are starting a good baseball program from the little leagues on up through HS. I assume you have a future big leaguer playing. What did he think of the other coaches boo hooing?

Sounds like you guys are starting a good baseball program from the little leagues on up through HS. I assume you have a future big leaguer playing. What did he think of the other coaches boo hooing?

I coach a team in this league in the 11-12 year old division. I umpire all ages though. We had a case the other night in the 13-14 year olds where according to the rulebook, the wearing of masks on the batting helmet is mandatory or it may be decided by the opposing team for them to forfeit. A team from a town I can't remember, did not have the proper facemask and could have been made to forfeit. Whenever I went to ask the opposing coach what he wanted to do, he said to let the rule go and just play baseball (as nice as that was for him. He made that decision whenever his team was down by 8). Then throughout the rest of the game, the coach of the team without facemasks complained about every call made. I counted about 10 times of having to hear him complain about something. This guy does not realize that the other coach could have made him forfeit. His team maintained a 7 run lead the whole time also.

What is with the little league coaches? Let the kids play and have fun.

They didnt know what was going on, we went to the middle of the field around second base and tried to handle it with little or no drama. There were some heated moments, but it was handled reasonably well. When the Overton coach said that he couldn't wait to play them again the Jacksonville guy said that they could have their own game right then and there.

That team may have been from Jacksonville but the coach was from Jack #### ville. What is the deal about 11 kids?

If you have enough to put on the field and want to take your chances what is the big deal? Sounds like a bad rule- but I don't have little league players. And Mr. #### knew you only had 9 kids from the start. If he was Mr. Rulebook, shouldn't he have pointed that out before you started the game?

That team may have been from Jacksonville but the coach was from Jack #### ville. What is the deal about 11 kids?

If you have enough to put on the field and want to take your chances what is the big deal? Sounds like a bad rule- but I don't have little league players. And Mr. #### knew you only had 9 kids from the start. If he was Mr. Rulebook, shouldn't he have pointed that out before you started the game?

that rule is for all star tourn., not local league tourn. that coach is a moron. if you read the rulebook completely, he would see the rule was for all star tourn.

and on another note, the two overton coaches he was dealing with, he might want to leave them alone. both are excellant coaches and all about the kids. but both had ruff past(16-23) and can handle themselves better than just about anyone else in overton. so he better watch who he is asking for another game with and leave it to just the kids playing baseball. i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, those guys do an excellant job with the kids(i have twins that play for them), but they have plenty of experiance in thier past handling themselves. he couldn't of picked two worse guys to jack with.

and on another note, the two overton coaches he was dealing with, he might want to leave them alone. both are excellant coaches and all about the kids. but both had ruff past(16-23) and can handle themselves better than just about anyone else in overton. so he better watch who he is asking for another game with and leave it to just the kids playing baseball. i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, those guys do an excellant job with the kids(i have twins that play for them), but they have plenty of experiance in thier past handling themselves. he couldn't of picked two worse guys to jack with.

Why does everything have to result in fighting? No one said anything about fighting. But that sounds about right for alot of adults in little league. My dad can beat up your dad!!

Its always funny to me that when Ol' podunk Overton goes to a larger town (i.e. J'ville, Tyler, etc.) and..."upset (wink, wink) their team...that someone makes an excuse. I'll bet the J'ville coach was thinking, only 9 players? Overton? Hmm, we got this. Dont underestimate your opponent, then make up excuses. There isnt much of an excuse when you GET THROTTLED by 12 runs. And when you come to Overton...to our small fields with the rickety fences and the dirt walk ways, and get the same waxing...dont bother crying. But, if you come over and win, you'll get the same comment from players and coaches alike..."Good Game!!!" We make no excuses for losing, and we dont gloat after a win. Yes, sometimes our coaches will argue calls, thats part of it. But what this cat did was idiotic. We work hard at building a strong competitive league in Overton. Thats the reason we schedule games with the likes of Tyler, Kilgore, and Jacksonville. It has made us a better and more competitive league. Give the small towns a little credit for building success.

Wow now that is "class" with a "k". These coaches need to lighten up I mean these are 9 and 10 year old kids they're dealing with. Im embarressed that a man from my town represented Jacksonville like that, Im sure some of the parents felt the same way. I am very curious to know who the coach was.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. There are not that many 10-12 year old teams in Jax.

I don't know, but Jax is pretty close to Overton, so if anyone has paid ANY attention lately, they should know that Overton has a pretty good baseball history...at least recently, can't speak for too long ago, so I am not sure anyone was overlooking them, even in little league.

Sounds about right. Nobody is concerned about rules until it affects them. Where was this tournament played? In my opinion, the coach lost his right to protest as soon as the first pitch wass thrown. I guarantee you that he thoought he had an easy "W" before the game started. I love it when that happens.

I have to agree with UMAX. You make the protest before the game starts. The coach agreed to play against a team, then changes his mind after a good country boy donkey whipping. That coach is a disgrace. The values that he represents are reprehensible. He originally agreed to play against what he perceived to be a weaker team. There is nothing this coach or any of his minions can say to change my mind.

I have to say this coach is pathetic, and not a man of his word.

I have to agree with UMAX. You make the protest before the game starts. The coach agreed to play against a team, then changes his mind after a good country boy donkey whipping. That coach is a disgrace. The values that he represents are reprehensible. He originally agreed to play against what he perceived to be a weaker team. There is nothing this coach or any of his minions can say to change my mind.

I have to say this coach is pathetic, and not a man of his word.

OOH watch out it has already been stated that he and his brother can take care of themselves casue they had a hard life or whatever....

OOH watch out it has already been stated that he and his brother can take care of themselves casue they had a hard life or whatever....

the statement was that the overton coaches could handle themselves, but no one said they where trying to fight. the jax coach was the one that said something about wanting to have another game with the coaches right then. no one said overton coaches wanted to fight. i just said he couldn't of picked two worse people to tangle with.

I have a question. I coach 9-10 yr. old dixie and was told about this situation that arose in another game. First, let me explain that we have a 7 run rule with the continuation rule where 10 runs are possible. One team has scored 6 runs and has the bases loaded. The batter is walked and the team on defense clears the field immediately. All runners came home and the official counted all runs. I do know that the catcher caught the ball, but not sure if he threw it back to the pitcher. The official said that they abandoned the field therefore all the runs counted. Is this the correct call, or was the play over when the first runner touched home plate?

OK, there is a little league/peewee forum on Smoaky and this definitely needs to be there instead of in the high school sports area. This just shows what is wrong with some youth leagues. People wanting to fight over a peewee game, weird rules about the number of runs and number of players....just let the kids have some fun, learn some baseball, and see the importance of sportsmanship. And to save some time for someone, yes, I know I don't have to read this thread, but I did.

OK, there is a little league/peewee forum on Smoaky and this definitely needs to be there instead of in the high school sports area. This just shows what is wrong with some youth leagues. People wanting to fight over a peewee game, weird rules about the number of runs and number of players....just let the kids have some fun, learn some baseball, and see the importance of sportsmanship. And to save some time for someone, yes, I know I don't have to read this thread, but I did.

Wow, you are correct. There is a forum that would have been more appropriate for this thread. Thank you for being so observant. Sorry to have wasted your time. I will try to be more attentive and make posts in the proper place. I am putting myself in time-out for at least 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

Wow, you are correct. There is a forum that would have been more appropriate for this thread. Thank you for being so observant. Sorry to have wasted your time. I will try to be more attentive and make posts in the proper place. I am putting myself in time-out for at least 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

How dare you talk about little pee-wee baseball when this forum is for them grown high school kids...what was you thinking? Its bad enough that some of these grown high schoolers still have to share a room with their little brothers playing pee-wee ball there is no way they should have to share the same forum space....and you call yourself a coach :cripple: