Pine Tree ISD hires Bob Ledbetter's "Champion Search Firm."

Smoaky

Let me EDUCATE you:

First off,The PT JV beat Marshall and Texas High last year and lost to an undefeated Lobo team by only

3 points.

Might want to check your sources......

Longview JV beat PT by 6 (20-14).

Longview JV beat Marshall by 5 (14-9).

You say PT JV beat Marshall. But I've been told Marshall JV beat PT. I'm looking for a score. I'm interested to know.

But the whole purpose of my reply was to say that wins...... and even losses at the 9th grade and JV level do not always equate to wins on Friday nights...... there are tons of factors that make that happen or not happen.

Either way.....I'm always ready for another exciting football game.... no matter who Marshall is playing. Including PT.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Pine Tree were to Hire Josh Finney of Maud or Scott Surratt of Carthage, they would immediately start winning more games. Those are 2 coaches who will win whereever they go. I dont think Surratt will leave Carthage for a long time, and I dont think PT would hire Finney simply because he is a 1A coach from Maud. I think Finney is the best fit for Pine Tree.

Nothing AT ALL against Coach Finney, I do not even know the man.....but we will see how good a coach he might be with out the "Maud Squad" Those 3 guys won a lot of games on fear from the other team cause they were so big. Maud still has a decent group left and JH was pretty stout I here, but we will see.

Might want to check your sources......

You say PT JV beat Marshall. But I've been told Marshall JV beat PT. I'm looking for a score. I'm interested to know.

My sources from Marshall and PT have both confirmed this JV score:

Pine Tree... 19

Marshall..... 12

While I don't have the details, I get the general impression that PT football has competed decently well at the lower levels (JV, Freshmen, Jr High) over the last several years. Then things change at the Varsity level. Don't know the reason or if other schools experience the same thing.

In any case, the standard disclaimer offered by investment consultants would seem to apply: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results" ...

My sources from Marshall and PT have both confirmed this JV score:

Pine Tree... 19

Marshall..... 12

PT should of had a good JV. The RBs are ex-Lobos just like the

Varsity sophomore LB. The RB did not transfer in time to be put on

Varsity. The LB did and was put on Varsity.

We are like Robin Hood. We try to spread the wealth.

Nothing AT ALL against Coach Finney, I do not even know the man.....but we will see how good a coach he might be with out the "Maud Squad" Those 3 guys won a lot of games on fear from the other team cause they were so big. Maud still has a decent group left and JH was pretty stout I here, but we will see.

Finney created the "Maud Squad" . Those players didnt know what I football was before Finney got there. I think they had won 2 games befor the season Finney got there.

Let me educate you too......

1. You're going to brag because your JV lost to an undefeated Lobo team by only 3 points??? Is that the measuring stick??? Well.....then you should know that Marshall's JV lost to that same Lobo team by only 5 points (14-9). What does that mean? Sounds like a near draw to me.

I don't know what the JV score was between Marshall and PT, but the freshman score was 34-18 in favor of Marshall. What was the JV score? Not that it really matters one bit. JV and 9th grade scores don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Marshall, Longview, and Texas High all have a lot of talent returning on varsity in 2009. Not to mention talented JV players moving up too. PT doesn't have the JV and Freshman market cornered. Same as Hallsville.... and Sulphur Springs.

It's all about how it's all pulled together on a Friday night roster. Which has more factors than just going 9-1 or playing a district champion close in a sub varsity game. Especially when I know that Marshall divided their JV and 9th grade squads into TWO squads a few times last season. I'm sure other 13-4A schools did that too.

2. The Mav varsity was decimated by injuries last season.....and a good portion of the JV got playing time the second half of the season. By game 10, nearly half of the JV offense was playing on Friday nights. That left the JV pretty thin on Thursday nights..... same thing happened to Texas High last season. I know when we played SS and MP.....our varsity was down to it's #4 RB and 3rd and 4th offensive linemen. That meant less bodies for JV.

3. I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for the Lobos to return to 5A, because it's not likely to happen. Longview isn't headed back to 5A any time soon. In fact, the next alignment (coming up in about 10 months) will put LHS further out of reach of 5A than it is now. 5A could be sitting at 2200 or so come next year. LHS barely broke 2,000. It's tough to believe they will have a 10% increase next year with a slow decline for the last decade and a half.

Unless UIL changes how it does the alignment, which doesn't seem likely in 2010, the Lobos are in 4A to stay. Not only will Longview become a firm member of 4A, don't be shocked to see JT join the 4A ranks too.

4. Pine Tree has athletes......there is no doubt about that. Their athletic program has been one of the strongest in 13-4A this season. But winning on the football field won't be done just because a fancy coach is hired. We've seen that attempted and failed at every level of football.

PT will win in football when they start doing the same thing Longview, Texas High, and Marshall are doing.

Stop waiting on big money, big coaches, and a talent drain to happen at LHS to level the playing field.

PT's enrollment is just a tad more static than LHS'. But it's not on a dramatic increase. Hallsville and Spring Hill are the growing districts in greater Longview. Not LISD and PTISD.

i just have to wonder...... if these kids get all excited...... read all the rah rah...... work their tails off..... and the losing continues what it will do to this already fragile football program??? I guess there is no where to go but up, but the hole could get a little bit deeper if things fall flat on their face.

Mavchamp, I have been in Longview almost 50 years. I came to Longview in 1960. I started going to Lobo games back when they played in the old stadium (early 70s). I started going to PT games in 1995 or so when my youngest son played for Pine Tree. Longview will continue to win district and go deep in the playoffs almost every year because they have a winning system and tradition. The same goes for Marshall and Texas High. Longview's goal each year is not just to break even but to be "State Champs". One thing that makes their system better than the other district teams is a farm system of three middle schools that feeds athletes into the ninth grade. Their varsity very seldom has Sophomore(s) on it and their JV team has Juniors on it. I think that the other schools in the district have only one middle school. Enrollment numbers from the last realignment are Longview-2005: Texas High-1852: Marshall-1665: Pine Tree-1420; Mt Pleasant-1403; Hallsville-1251 and Sulphur Springs-1082.

I agree with you on all this talk about who wins the 9th grade and JV games. It doesn't mean much on Friday nights. Most schools in the district have to play Sophomores on their varsity and that hurts their JV team. IMO Longview will continue to dominate 13-4A due to an excellent coaching staff, more good athletes than other schools, and tradition.

I hope Pine Tree gets them a good coaching staff and starts a winning tradition.

Guest Bear_Den
Mavchamp, I have been in Longview almost 50 years. I came to Longview in 1960. I started going to Lobo games back when they played in the old stadium (early 70s). I started going to PT games in 1995 or so when my youngest son played for Pine Tree. Longview will continue to win district and go deep in the playoffs almost every year because they have a winning system and tradition. The same goes for Marshall and Texas High. Longview's goal each year is not just to break even but to be "State Champs". One thing that makes their system better than the other district teams is a farm system of three middle schools that feeds athletes into the ninth grade. Their varsity very seldom has Sophomore(s) on it and their JV team has Juniors on it. I think that the other schools in the district have only one middle school. Enrollment numbers from the last realignment are Longview-2005: Texas High-1852: Marshall-1665: Pine Tree-1420; Mt Pleasant-1403; Hallsville-1251 and Sulphur Springs-1082.

I agree with you on all this talk about who wins the 9th grade and JV games. It doesn't mean much on Friday nights. Most schools in the district have to play Sophomores on their varsity and that hurts their JV team. IMO Longview will continue to dominate 13-4A due to an excellent coaching staff, more good athletes than other schools, and tradition.

I hope Pine Tree gets them a good coaching staff and starts a winning tradition.

well said

Will they be using the nets behind the QB to practice toss right and toss left?

That is the only use I could see for them. I don't think spreading it out against the likes of LV and company is the way to go. I could be wrong but what it does look like to me is that PT has lots of offensive lineman "type" kids. Why not utilize them?

That is the only use I could see for them. I don't think spreading it out against the likes of LV and company is the way to go. I could be wrong but what it does look like to me is that PT has lots of offensive lineman "type" kids. Why not utilize them?

I actually think it would be fun to see pine tree spread it out.........Just curious......do they have a QB returning that can throw it around? Obviously, loading the box and just running the ball has not worked very well in the past.... a few more athletes would play if they knew they might get to touch the ball on Friday nights instead of just blocking and being a deccoy receiver. I'd like to see Pine Tree bring in a coach with a new system and new ideas.

I wish PT all the best, but their history is filled with losing. Much like Longview or Texas High or someone else has a winning tradition...their tradition has been losing for a long time.

For whatever reason, you don't just come out one season and suddenly start winning.

Good luck to them, but as someone else said, it's going to take patience.

They also do not need to get caught up with wanting to be as good as Longview or Texas High. They just need to learn how to win more than they lose to start out. Learn to beat teams like Mt. Pleasant, Hallsville, etc. Sulphur Springs lost to both Texas High and Longview this year, but in the end did something more by winning a State Championship. Two years ago Sulphur Springs was 2-8.

You need to let it go little fellow. You left now go be happy where you are now.

I was just stating an opinion....kind of like EVERYONE else on this board. I have nothing against the coaches and kids at PT. Just reminding or letting the people know what is coming up in the lower grades....I am very happy where I am and would not want to return to PT. So, big guy, let me say my opinion without you getting your panties in a wad.

I actually think it would be fun to see pine tree spread it out.........Just curious......do they have a QB returning that can throw it around? Obviously, loading the box and just running the ball has not worked very well in the past.... a few more athletes would play if they knew they might get to touch the ball on Friday nights instead of just blocking and being a deccoy receiver. I'd like to see Pine Tree bring in a coach with a new system and new ideas.

They tried the spread 4 years ago...granted it was different kids then obviously, but that is when they were getting beat 55-0 regularly and the clock kept running in the 2nd half most games. 4 downs would only take 30 seconds off of the clock and the other team would score in 2-3 plays made for a long game.

Not saying it wouldn't work now, though.