Pine Tree ISD hires Bob Ledbetter's "Champion Search Firm."

Smoaky

I wish PT all the best, but their history is filled with losing. Much like Longview or Texas High or someone else has a winning tradition...their tradition has been losing for a long time.

For whatever reason, you don't just come out one season and suddenly start winning.

Good luck to them, but as someone else said, it's going to take patience.

I disagree. Lake Travis did not have a winning tradition and look at what

They have been able to do lately. They were1-9, 0-10, 3-7, 8-3, 11-1 8-3

15-1 16-0. Two State titles.

SS also was down in the dumps a few years ago with a State Title now

Coppeas Cove was also traditionally a bad team and turned things around

in a season or two. Back in the 80s REL was a bad team and turned things

around within a few seasons. Look at what Whitehouse was able to do.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Lake Travis did not have a winning tradition and look at what

They have been able to do lately. They were1-9, 0-10, 3-7, 8-3, 11-1 8-3

15-1 16-0. Two State titles.

SS also was down in the dumps a few years ago with a State Title now

Coppeas Cove was also traditionally a bad team and turned things around

in a season or two. Back in the 80s REL was a bad team and turned things

around within a few seasons. Look at what Whitehouse was able to do.

I agree with you that LT was not winning until 2004. In 1985 Cowan was 7-3 as coach but after 4 years his record was 15-25. Farmer, the next coach was 10-30 after 4; Ball was 5-15 after 2 years. From '86 to '94 they won 2-3 games each season. That's a lot like Pine Tree's record. Tuck the next coach was 10-9-1 for 2 years. Helduser was 1-9 for 1 year.

Shewmake the next coach was 16-16 for 3 years. Shewmake tied for 3rd in District but lost flip, the next year (2000) his team was bi-district champs with a 7-5 record. Sadler was 1-19 for 2 years and then along came Dicus. In 2003 (his 1st year) they were 3-7. 2004 (8-3) Dist. Champs, 2005 (11-1) Bi-Dist. Champs, 2006 (8-3) Dist. Champs, 2007 (15-1) 4A Division 2 State Champs. Discus left (?) after 5 years with a record of 45-15. Next Coach Morris in 2008 (16-0) 4A Division 1 State Champs over Longview. For at least 3 years and maybe 4 they had Garrett Gilbert, 2008 Gatorade National POY, Texas HS All Time Career Passing Leader, 2008 Texas Offensive POY. When Dicus came on the scene the winning started. From 1985 LT had 7 different head coaches before Dicus got there in 2003. Apparently at LT they have an AD and a Head Football Coach which I think is the way to go.

13-4A has a top tier of teams (Longview, Texas High and Marshall). They all have a winning system (coaches and good athletes) and tradition. The other four teams are fighting for that fourth spot which Sulphur Springs got last year. Pine Tree is changing and IMO they will make the playoffs in the next three years. If not back to the drawing board.

Pine Tree has an academic tradition they are proud of. Annual success in Math-Science (won state this year,) UIL Academic Team (won regionals this weekend and has 33 going to state; a huge number,) One Act play (winning regionals and going to state,) several students this year going to state in art competition, the list goes on... It would be nice to build a winning tradition in football, but not at the expense of academics. I would not go as far as the school board and hire someone at all cost.

I agree regarding hiring at any cost. Whoever made the statement to Smoaky - "... money or salary will not be an object." (first post in this topic) - should have chosen his/her words better.

I can only assume the point was to generate interest in the hiring and to make it known that their intentions are serious. Taken at face value, the comment is simply irresponsible.

If Pine Tree were to Hire Josh Finney of Maud or Scott Surratt of Carthage, they would immediately start winning more games. Those are 2 coaches who will win whereever they go. I dont think Surratt will leave Carthage for a long time, and I dont think PT would hire Finney simply because he is a 1A coach from Maud. I think Finney is the best fit for Pine Tree.

From what i have heard I bet Finney would not leave Maud for Pine Tree. This job will go to a big name out there, mark my word. All will be surprised.

When the new coach and staff is in place I think PT should start playing stronger teams in predistrict. Prior to district this upcoming season they play 3A Pleasant Grove, 3A Paris, 4A Lindale, and 3A North Lamar. All of these schools have enrollment below 1,000. Contrast that with Longview's and Marshall's predistrict 2009 schedules. Longview opens with 5A Allen (enrollment 4,837, 2008 Div 1 State Champs), 5A Tyler Lee, Nachitoches La (1400 Students) and 5A Lufkin. Marshall in 2009 plays 4A Jacksonville, Shreveport Huntington, 4A Kilgore and Monroe Neville. IMO playing stronger teams in predistrict should help when you get in the 13-4A district schedule.

Winning will take care of that. I can remember when Whitehouse played Chapel Hill, Spring Hill, and Palestine as a pre-district schedule. After two years, those teams would not re-schedule Whitehouse. The next couple of years Whitehouse then played Forney, Sulphur Springs (who was down, but a rebuilding 4A). Now they are playing NF Garland, Celina, Sulphur Springs etc......

Winning will take care of that. I can remember when Whitehouse played Chapel Hill, Spring Hill, and Palestine as a pre-district schedule. After two years, those teams would not re-schedule Whitehouse. The next couple of years Whitehouse then played Forney, Sulphur Springs (who was down, but a rebuilding 4A). Now they are playing NF Garland, Celina, Sulphur Springs etc......

That's a doubled edged sword.

I agree that playing Neville, Kilgore, and J-ville made us better for district.......

but that tough schedule can also cause injuries.

Marshall's injuries last year started with the Kilgore game. Then the PARADE of injuries started with Neville. Our QB was never 100% after the Neville game.

Kilgore, Neville, Hallsville, Longview, Texas High, and SS in a span of 6 weeks decimated us with injuries.

It's for that reason alone that most Mav fans don't gripe about us playing Shreveport Huntington (whom PT would most likely destroy).

It's also the reason Lobo fans shouldn't gripe about Natchitoches Central. With Allen, Lee, and Lufkin..... there was really no need to add another kick in the teeth to the schedule.

Injuries are about the only thing I can see stopping the Lobos from winning as many games as they want this season. But a parade of injuries against those non district opponents then 13-4A play could make any team limp into the playoffs if they had enough of them.

So it's a tight rope to walk between a tough schedule and insanity and a cream-puff schedule.

Someone needs to give us a list of actual applicants for the PT job. I am among many that would like to see who has thrown their name into the mix. Someone with some info fill us in.

We all would like to see the list but I don't believe that will ever happen. There are probably many on the list that don't want it known that they applied for the job. They may tell us the five or less finalists and maybe not. It's not many days before it's too late for spring practice.

You'll never know who the top five or six are...MAJOR feelings would get hurt if it got out who applied for this job- then didnt get a sniff. Some things are better left unsaid.

How controlling is the PT board of trustees ? Do they actually have a say in who the OC and DC are?

Shed some light PTB

You'll never know who the top five or six are...MAJOR feelings would get hurt if it got out who applied for this job- then didnt get a sniff. Some things are better left unsaid.

How controlling is the PT board of trustees ? Do they actually have a say in who the OC and DC are?

Shed some light PTB

My opinion is this and it won't buy you anything at Brookshires. I think that the Board will go with the Supt's recommendation and the new AD/HC will select his staff by himself. The Supt may have to sign off on the staff (OC and DC) but not the Board.

Word around town is saying that the leading candidate is planning on running a modified version of the A-11....... they're calling it the A-6........sounds interesting.....I guess everyone is tired of the wing-t.

When are the interviews happening?

Shed some light PTB

The board is very controlling, they have their hands in everything. One of the reason PT is in the shape it's in. Supt. is a great guy, he deserves much better.

The board is very controlling, they have their hands in everything. One of the reason PT is in the shape it's in. Supt. is a great guy, he deserves much better.

Like a lot of other parent’s I'm sure some of them of too involved with their child's activities but I find it hard to believe they have there hands in everything. Not sure of what you mean about the shape PT’s in but I suspect like any other schools it mirrors society in general. I have several friends on the board who truly want all kids to be successful but it is a challenge with environments that some of them come from. Of course you already know all this. I do know the Supt. and it will be his decision.