1. Waymon Bolton. 78, 79, 80. Broke out as a sophomore on a STACKED team with a 2500 yard season. For some reason there are no records for that year. Only his Jr and Sr year in which Shelbyville moved up to 2a (3a now ) In 79 they finished 2nd in district only losing to Newton!
He was also an amazing punt returner. He had 5 in one game against West Sabine and no telling how many others.
Made All State in 1980 in 3a. He played at Texas Tech and stood out as punt returner.
Died in a motorcycle crash near Waco at the age of 49. RIP
2. Octavian Burrell. 2012-2015. Too many accolades to list, but holds most of the school records. Suffered a torn Achilles during a Thursday practice before the week 8 game of his Jr year.
He reinjured it in Bi District the next season.
Died in a very tragic car accident just a few years after graduating. The event shook Shelbyville to it's core! He was probably the most loved student to ever graduate from there! Words can't describe what he meant to so many people and football was only a fraction of his legacy.
RIP Legend. 32 Strong!
3. Micky Smith. Class of 78. Had a few massive years, but missed one season with a broken leg.
4. Thomas Swearingen 1980 to 1982. Is very underrated, and hardly mentioned with the Shelbyville greats, but is very deserving. He had 3 solid years with one being a district MVP.
I don't think there are any stats from his era? They could have been destroyed when the field house was vandalized in 1986 or 87? All of the old VCR film to include a BUNCH of 8mm stuff from the 60's was completely destroyed.
5. Tracey Bolton 1986-1988 (played linebacker at SFA)
6. Jesten Brown 2007-2009 All State 2009 with around 1600 yards rushing.
7. Michael Andrew's. 2005 -2007. Another underrated running back and football player. Unfortunately Shelbyville moved up to 3a his Sr Year. They were way out matched.
Also worthy of mention are Josh Payne class of 2001 (I think) and Jaylon Brinson class of 2020.
50's and 60's : Lamar Smith, Calvin Cannon, Johnny Fleming, Mac Warren (Qb that ran)
Hard to complain complain when you win 31-7. But I’m sure Coach A was less than thrilled with some of our mistakes.
WRs had the dropsies on some perfectly thrown passes. At least 2 touchdown passes were flat out dropped.
The running backs not taking care of the ball. One of the things we’ve excelled at this year is not turning the ball over. I think we only lost 1…. But we had several we recovered. Gotta shore that up.
Defensive penalties extending Bobcat drives when they should have punted.
After we scored on the first drive of the second half…. QB slone sat down as things were getting chippy. Let’s keep him heathy.
On the MP!!!
Someone can check my timing but I just watched the game again and from what I saw Daingerfield had the ball a total of 32 seconds in the 2nd half and scored 3 touchdowns. Yall check it, I'm just asking if it's right. Lol
3 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:
Oregon State 21
Utah 7....... FINAL
Nice win for the beavers.
5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:
Before people start hammering the Beckville staff for running it up, most of their starters barely played at all in the second half. The last 3 TDs were by 2s and 3s, and a JV RB ran out of bounds to keep from scoring the TD that would have made it 98-12 with a PAT pending. From the sound of things, they did all they could do to keep things in hand.
If you’re struggling to stop the backups that is a You problem.
On 9/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, jamonit said:
Nah.... I bet CH pulls away early and the 2's will be in 2nd half for Palestine to get a couple scores.
Nail biter! Hawkins might still make the playoffs. I'm not even joking!
SA beat Colmesneil 83 to 0 in a bi district game about 4 years ago!