East texas Powerlifting

wldcatX10

You evidently haven't been to many powerlifting meets. Go look at Overton's powerlifters. They are a bunch of cute girls who happen to dedicate themselves to the sport of powerlifting. Most of them are very petite, but they will compete as tough as any athlete. That's why they have been a state power for the last 3 or 4 years.

Not too many other schools have girls that take interest in powerlifting. I'm not sure it will ever be a very popular sport among female athletes. No doubt, a female athlete has a lot to gain from being stronger and bigger... just like any male athlete, but I don't think society is ready to accept the idea of all our female athletes pumping heavy iron. I'm sure the female lifters as a whole are in shape and fit. But most girls don't like the idea of getting bigger from weights... they want to remain small and lady like. Who knows... I've seen many girl powerlifters, some small, some big. I don't think it is strange or weird... I really have no opinion on it whatsoever. Just making general observations for the rest of you to discuss.

You know that there are over 400 schools throughout the state of texas that have women's powerlifting teams. And it is growing. Powerlifting for girls has become more and more popular. It is the perceptions of people like the ones on this thread that are making a stigma for girls powerlifters. Very rarely do the girls who powerlift get "big", we as coaches are working for strength not body building and there is a huge difference.

CoachC45... I didn't intend to degrade girl's powerlifting in any way. I hope you were referring to the earlier posts and not mine. I was making observations... and I am impressed that over 400 schools participate in girl's powerlifting. That is a good sign. Once again I have no opinion on it... female athletes can do whatever they want to do... just do it 100% all out ( I know most of them do!)

I think Powerlifting, be it boy/girl, is an essential activity for bettering yourself in all sports.

Powerlifting is a sport that allows the individual to pick their destiny.....speed is mostly in the genetics, but strength can be achieved by anyone who wants it bad enough....

Not too many other schools have girls that take interest in powerlifting. I'm not sure it will ever be a very popular sport among female athletes.

The first part of my post was to better inform you about how much interest really is out there in girls powerlifting. In East Texas there is not as many schools, but it has grown immensely, but in other parts of the state..i.e. the valley, golden triangle, hill country.. girls powerlifting is huge.

The rest of my post was directed toward a few other people above your post!

I got ya' Coach. No problem here... I think those guys were a little out of line, too. I'm sure they didn't mean anything by it, though. Like I said, thanks for the info on girls powerlifting. I love seeing kids participating in as much and as many different things as possible. (girls and boys)!

i'm not meaning anything by girls powerlifting... i just didnt think it would happen at james bowie. the coaches there are excited because there is so many opportunities for the girls and guys at that.. and no girls do not have to be big to lift.. it involves weight classes.. and usually they don't get big like bodybuilders.. and really more schools should participate in the sports.. and the reason it's not really a big sport that's talked about, is because there are different theories on the subject because UIL does not recognize it as a sport. the only major things they can get from it is a scholarship.

i'm not meaning anything by girls powerlifting... i just didnt think it would happen at james bowie. the coaches there are excited because there is so many opportunities for the girls and guys at that.. and no girls do not have to be big to lift.. it involves weight classes.. and usually they don't get big like bodybuilders.. and really more schools should participate in the sports.. and the reason it's not really a big sport that's talked about, is because there are different theories on the subject because UIL does not recognize it as a sport. the only major things they can get from it is a scholarship.

The reason it isn't recognized by UIL because the associations for powerlifting have not petitioned the uil for inclusion. The sport as is, is controlled by the coaches themselves and if UIL got involved it would be controlled by people who do not understand the sport itself.

As a THSPA Powerlifting judge...I think its great that more and more high schools are getting girls PL teams. Powerlifting, as karate and a few other sports, is a way that a person can focus on gaining mental control over their body and inner strength......My son was a lifter at New Boston a few years back and even after getting out of school and on to college stayed active in a powerlifting....A very good program after school is NASA ( National Athletic Strength Association )...A drug free program for all ages.......Some of these other posters against girls powerlifting just might be scared of getting out lifted...by a Lady........

I have seen a few boys in high school that were classified as problem students, but as a result of Coach Alex Harris (New Boston coach at the time) came to achive focus and respect for themselves..

Good Luck to all lifters--be it girls or boys...YOU CAN ALWAYS LIFT MORE

and also Good Luck to Coach Harris, I believe now at LE

REMEMBER--LIFT HEAVY......PAIN IS FEAR LEAVING THE BODY

:notworthy:

Winnsboro has had a boys and girls powelifting teams for several years. They have had state qualifiers since 2003 and the girls won Region 3 in 2003.

They beat my team for the regional title that year. One of the most fun years I've ever had in coaching. Both teams were awesome and had great girls who got along despite the intense rivalry.