UNION HILL SCHOOL BOARD APPOVES PRAYER

BULLDOGBACKER1

I will break this down as simply as I can.

#1 Union Hill ISD accepts State and Federal funds in order to run their school district.

#2 The Federal government is prohibited from promoting one religion over any others.

#3 By accepting Federal funds UH ISD must follow the same rules the Federal Government must, because they are now an extension of the Federal government.

#4 UH ISD has now allowed one religious group to pray at a school function thus giving it preferential treatment over all other religions. UH ISD has just violated the 1st amendment of the Bill of Rights.

UH ISD can now do two things in order to get back in compliance:

#1 Stop accepting Federal funds or

#2 Stop promoting one religion over all others.

I really dont understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

I have a question on #2( the first one) I missed the part where UH designated a religion to do the prayer.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we at West Rusk pray before each football game.... to us it's just as important as playing the national anthem... We even have a Christian-based organization, First Priority. We meet every Wednesday, but we don't force anyone to go. Congrats to Union Hill for their stand on this. :happy65:

And another thing...... If people who want to pray are in fact the majority, then why would we have to worry about the federal gov. stopping us anyway. in all actuality, we are the minority. just take one look at this nation...... I'm sad to say, it doesn't say Christian to me.

I applaud Union Hill for this stand. We all should be proud to show our faith, not just Christians,(which I am) in front of anyone. I wish our school district would take a hint form Union Hills ruling.

This country was formed on the basis of religion by our forefathers, I also think that if our founding leaders who wrote the constitution and the bill of rights could see how we have abused these rights, I think they would be ashamed of where we are at as a society.

Like freedom of speech, I dont think they meant that we have the right to write a song about killing cops and hating women and sell it to our youth, and have it protected under freedom of speech.

Just my thoughts.

GOOD JOB UNION HILL!!!!!!!

I will break this down as simply as I can.

#1 Union Hill ISD accepts State and Federal funds in order to run their school district.

#2 The Federal government is prohibited from promoting one religion over any others.

#3 By accepting Federal funds UH ISD must follow the same rules the Federal Government must, because they are now an extension of the Federal government.

#4 UH ISD has now allowed one religious group to pray at a school function thus giving it preferential treatment over all other religions. UH ISD has just violated the 1st amendment of the Bill of Rights.

UH ISD can now do two things in order to get back in compliance:

#1 Stop accepting Federal funds or

#2 Stop promoting one religion over all others.

I really dont understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

Explain to me what would be wrong with something like this.

Ladies and Genteman, We are going to be lead in a prayer by_________. This prayer is in general and reaches out to all religions and to each his or her own personal God.

Dear God ............

Union Hill is OK until someone files a lawsuit. The ACLU will try to find a local citizen to file on behalf of. Even if Union Hill won the suit it is not monetary except for the hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees.

My guess is Union Hill gets about 300grand a year in federal SPED and Title monies the federal goverment is not going to stop payment on these monies unless a judge rules Union Hill must cease this practice or lose federal money.

the topic we discussed this week was approved 8-0 with no one opposed!!!! thanks so much to everyone who helped me on smoaky this week!!! god bless to our school board and supt for this brave stand and godspeed to all!!

Good job!!!! I wish we all had CHRISTIAN leaders.... Not all schools have the courage ... I know ours doesn't.

Thank you UH for being the right kind of example!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just being a realist the Union Hills board and adm have done an awsesome thing. The problem is we do not elect our judges. Judges are appointed usually without any consideration to the ideas or beliefs of the people they will rule over. If Obama is pres what kind of judge would he appoint for NE Texas. (I am sure San Francisco would not be happy with judges appointed by McCain)

With this in mind the ACLU will find a liberal judge

Does anyone know if the ACLU will be able to file this lawsuit on behalf of a visitor.

With the 8-0 board vote ACLU may have trouble finding someone local to file for

I think in the Drug testing lawsuit filed against the Oregon school it took the ACLU 18 months to find someone local to file for

Are those federal or state funds subsidizing those programs?

Federal, this has been my point from the beginning. If it was a private school that didnt accept Federal funds they could do what ever they wanted.

I have a question on #2( the first one) I missed the part where UH designated a religion to do the prayer.

It is my understanding that the school board has allowed just one person to say the prayer. I would think it goes without saying that the one person will say a prayer consistent with his personal religious persuasion, that is why it is preference to one religion.

The simple point is that the Supreme Court has already ruled on this exact case and the school board is going against it. A group of individuals just cant ignore court rulings because they dont like them.

Federal, this has been my point from the beginning. If it was a private school that didnt accept Federal funds they could do what ever they wanted.

Subsidizing lunches and special ed programs doesn't have squat to do with a prayer prior to a football game. Nothing. :rolleyes:

Sorry but you are wrong. When you take the government's money you have to play by their rules.

Are you opposed to some rule or the prayer? If it's the rule could you post a link to it so we can all read it and not take your interpretation of it?

Has there not been a ruling in Texas...if there is a person voted on by the school population, that isn't a school employee, who is designated to give a prayer prior to the game and doesn't invoke the beliefs of said school, it is permissible to have a non-denominational prayer?

Sorry but you are wrong. When you take the government's money you have to play by their rules.

I said I wasn't going to comment further, but ignorance like this must not go unanswered....WHERE exactly did the government get the money that they are sending back? From you and me and every one else who pays taxes. IT'S NOT THE GOVERNMENTS MONEY, IT'S OUR MONEY!!!!

Good point, Pops. Perhaps RTB can explain to us how/why the federal government can require a school district to impose "rules" on someone who isn't an employee of the school district.

Because they have the money so they make the rules. Try bringing a beer to the game and see what happens to a non-employee of the school district. Or a gun. Or drugs. The government can and does mandate what a school can and can not allow on their campus.

I said I wasn't going to comment further, but ignorance like this must not go unanswered....WHERE exactly did the government get the money that they are sending back? From you and me and every one else who pays taxes. IT'S NOT THE GOVERNMENTS MONEY, IT'S OUR MONEY!!!!

Are you really going to trot out that tired cliche? Once you pay your taxes its no longer your money. Its the governements money. Thats like getting #### at Whataburger for putting in a playground when you dont have kids, then screaming at them, "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU GOT THAT MONEY FROM? I WANT THIS OR THAT, ITS MY MONEY!"

Give me a break.

Thats like getting #### at Whataburger for putting in a playground when you dont have kids, then screaming at them, "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU GOT THAT MONEY FROM? I WANT THIS OR THAT, ITS MY MONEY!"

Give me a break.

Are you seriously tying to compare a government of the people for the people to a private company!? 110103_pick_prv.gif

Try bringing a beer to the game and see what happens to a non-employee of the school district. Or a gun. Or drugs. The government can and does mandate what a school can and can not allow on their campus.

Nice try at the distraction. Those are different things altogether.

Weak. What rules and how can the federal government require a school district to impose those "rules" on someone who isn't an employee of the school district?

Are you even in education? Do you even know how the education system works? Receiving federal funds and meeting Federal guidelines are in both NCLB and IDEA. If you dont meet their guidelines you lose their funding. That principle is very well founded. Sorry if I left my school law books in my lawyer pants and cant quote you the exact subsection and parts where its located.

I really dont understand why are getting so tied up over the funding issue when Ive shown you that the Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue. There really shouldnt be any more argument.

I cant make it any clearer than this:

UH ISD is in the wrong and if it gets taken to court they will lose. I really surprised their lawyers even let this come up for a vote.