VOLLEYBALL STRUCTURED TO GROW

Guest bleeds

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly difficult to attract industry if the community has poor school facilities and/or test scores.

It is not that they can not attract industry. It is just like the school they do not want it. They want it to remain the same as it was 20-30 years ago. There have been companies that wanted to come in and the powers that be turned them down.

It is not that they can not attract industry. It is just like the school they do not want it. They want it to remain the same as it was 20-30 years ago. There have been companies that wanted to come in and the powers that be turned them down.

I find that difficult to believe.

Why would a city not want the extra tax revenues and jobs provided by industry?

One last comment and I am going to drop it on the advice of counsel. The gym is 35 years old. The reason that we, Winnsboro I mean, can not have new facilities is that the older people who are being brain washed by a certain citizen base, do not think that they need it. They believe that their taxes will go up. Little do they know if they have been like my mother, her taxes have been frozen for the last 25 years, their taxes would be frozen also. There are more older people than young couples. The young couples would be the ones to be footing the bill for the new school. It is has also been put on hold indefintely because of the economical crunch right now. The kids are suffering at the expense of the older people who do not have any kids or grandchildren.

They have brought two plots of land and it will probably be 2015 or later before Winnsboro will get new facilities. Price will have tripled in that length of time. What at one time would have cost 10-15 millions will cost upwards of 30-40 million for the same exact building when they decide to pass a bond election and build.

Maybe its just me, but I found that funny....couldnt the same thing be said about the lack of a volleyball program? That a certain citizen base do not think that they need it!!!

Just one of those things that make you go Hmmmmm!

Did a volleyball thread just turn into a Winnsboro thread????

That has to be some kinda record.

And the title is "volleyball structed to grow" lol lol lol lol lol

I've been making that point ever since BRF jumped in early in the thread.

I havnt posted on this site in probably over a year before a couple of days ago(I still read the site every now and then). The one thing I learned from this site is that if you are in BRF's district you will never win an argument with her (even if you are not bad mouthing Winnsboro). But yet she can do it freely. Winnsboro lost one district football game this year and she lost her mind, saying she didnt even think they were going to beat Quitman or even get into the playoffs. Being from Quitman I had a chance to hang out with a couple of Winnsboro football players last break. The first thing that came out of their mouth was if your read SMOAKY.com please don't judge us on what BigRedFan says on there, she makes us look bad with her rants and raves. Oh and since this thread is about volleyball, I have dated 3 different girls from Winnsboro back when I was in HS and they all said they would have loved to play.

I know BRF is going to have something to say to me. If you have something to say BRF as in what football players, I would be happy to give you their names in a PM or whatever they are called. Because they said that they couldnt stand your antics.

Yes, I know for a fact. The girls in Winnsboro grow up living and breathing basketball. From the 4th grade up there are probably over 150 girls involved in the program. If there had been an interest some of the parents would have already been in contact with the administration or school board. I will make a deal with you. I happen to be friends with the President of the school board who is also an avid basketball and football fan, I will ask him this weekend when I see in Brownsboro about this subject and will get back to this board with a report.

You say there is 150 girls involved in the sport of basketball from 4th grade up. When those girls get to high school only 10-12 make the basketball team. If the other 140 or so girls that only no basketball had been introduced to volleyball maybe they would be playing volleyball in high school instead of sitting in the stands watching Buddys chosen few

Does anyone but me ever notice that when BRF mentions something from winnsboro that she doesn't like she says "them" or "they are", but when winnsboro is winning and the girls and boys teams are going deep into the playoffs its "us" and "we". If (BRF) you are from and a town and so avidily defend them (unless the said team is losing) you should be with the town through good and bad, I liked the Cowboys and Mavs when they were losing and watched their games on TV and I like them now when they have winning records.

It's just how I feel though maybe I'm wrong.

It is possible to be strong in volleyball and basketball..and in the same season...

Just check with Poth...enrollment doesn't get much smaller than theirs...state champs in both a couple years back

This thread is out of control. I've gone back twice and tried to find where an actual finger (or even a hint) was pointed at Winnsboro...not there...did they just jump in and take over? Talk about wearing your feelings on your sleeve.

If they don't want vball, then leave them alone. They are too poor and have terrible facilities anyway. Probably can't afford it. Why embarass them additionally. No way they'd attract the type of coach they'd need to get a real program going without it being a resume killer for the person.

In regards to the original post, yes the popularity of the sport is growing. I've attended the state tournament for years and watched the crowd numbers increase. (stopped going to the girls bball tournament...too many gender identity issues in the crowd at that one...uck) Vball Clubs are springing up everywhere. Fun game to watch if you have the pleasure of seeing well coached teams. Large scholarships are available ...Volleyball (and Golf) have the two highest college graduation rates and GPAs of any collegiate sport. Basketball, unfortunately, is at the bottom of both lists.

Will be interesting to watch the trends and see what happens over the next 10 years.

Being from Quitman I had a chance to hang out with a couple of Winnsboro football players last break. The first thing that came out of their mouth was if your read SMOAKY.com please don't judge us on what BigRedFan says on there, she makes us look bad with her rants and raves. Oh and since this thread is about volleyball, I have dated 3 different girls from Winnsboro back when I was in HS and they all said they would have loved to play.

Just in case anyone missed it.

This is for BRF. First of all, we true volleyball coaches don't care about your opinion. If Winnsboro does not want to play vb then good. It would be one less team that we would have to beat in 2a. Our school is the Winnsboro of volleyball and basketball does not affect our success. Excuses are just that "excuses". For your information, the middle school gym at Winnsboro is equipped for volleyball. The gym floor is already painted and the holes are in the floor. You should know more about the school you love so much.

I'd like to offer my 2 cents on the subject, if I could. I am a male, and played collegiate volleyball. My team went to the NIRSA championships, which is the collegiate club volleyball tournament. There were over 60 men's teams and 50 womens teams, and that was 4 years ago. Men's volleyball is growing at a rate that most would have a hard time believing. I coach a girls varsity team right now, but would love to coach boys. It's only a matter of time.

As for the Winnsboro thing, seriously, let's drop it. The reference was meant to be a joke. We all know that. BRF, back off. How bout you chill out a bit. You guys win alot of basketball games, good for you. Be happy in that, and don't worry about what other people say. Are you really THAT insecure?

You arguement about the number of kids having an effect on not playing volleyball is just plain dumb. I have coached a 1A school that had 54 kids in the high school. No, that's not a misprint. We played volleyball, basketball, track, cross country, and even power lifting. I think Kramer can back me up on this one. So seriously, that excuse is lame.

It is abundantly obvious that there are "unspoken" reasons why Winnsboro doens't have volleyball. EVERYONE knows it. Why try to argue it. The point of the matter is that the sport is growing at an exponential rate and it's fun to be a part of. Maybe Winnsboro will pick it up. Maybe not. Who cares.

On a side note BRF, what's it like when your own community, that you so adamantly defend, wants you to shut your :censored: pie hole? :jawdrop:

I enjoy all sports, but volleyball is by far my favorite. I have been an official, player and coach at the Jr. High, High School, club, and college level for over 30 years and IMO those of you that do not enjoy volleyball have never seen it played at a high level of skill or intensity.

This year at the State Tournament in San Marcos, I saw some of the BEST volleyball at any level I have ever seen. All of the classifications were great matches, but the 4A Championship was AWESOME. Also, anyone that has ever played a 5 set match with long volleys and does not believe that a true volleyball player has to be in shape - is crazy. Yes, it is different "endurance" from basketball, but it is still very tiring.

And as far as the small schools that don't have enough for both sports to succeed - that is just an excuse.

:wacko:

• 5 months later...

All I know is that the kids who just play volleyball are the most mentally weak drama queens in our athletic program. The ones who play volleyball and basketball are tough and IN SHAPE. The reason volleyball is growing is because all the lazy ones like it since they don't have to run or work hard. And they also don't have anyone make contact with them. They are also allowed to legally taunt the opponent after every dang point.

Don't get me started on that club stuff - more like a cult than anything else. There is not one sport in any girls athletic program that can ruin an ENTIRE program like volleyball can.

All I know is that the kids who just play volleyball are the most mentally weak drama queens in our athletic program. The ones who play volleyball and basketball are tough and IN SHAPE. The reason volleyball is growing is because all the lazy ones like it since they don't have to run or work hard. And they also don't have anyone make contact with them. They are also allowed to legally taunt the opponent after every dang point.

Don't get me started on that club stuff - more like a cult than anything else. There is not one sport in any girls athletic program that can ruin an ENTIRE program like volleyball can.

Ignorance runs rampant on SDC!

Ignorance runs rampant on SDC!

It's not ignorancce - actually the opposite. It's first-hand experience. It is also the experiences of coaches that I have talked to on this very subject. They also have girls who just want to stand around and look pretty in volleyball instead of running track or battling under the boards.

It's not ignorancce - actually the opposite. It's first-hand experience. It is also the experiences of coaches that I have talked to on this very subject. They also have girls who just want to stand around and look pretty in volleyball instead of running track or battling under the boards.

I coach girls who play v'ball, basketball, run track and play softball. The girls who just want to stand around and look pretty obviously won't be playing. They won't be standing, they will be sitting either on the bench or at home. I have several who just play v'ball, and they play hard. Most play several sports.

I don't agree with your statement for one second!!! I coached girls volleyball and the thing about it my girls are in great shape. We run and lift daily and they are mentally tough as well. Because when you are in a game 5 sitution when you only play to 15 with rally scoring you not only have to be mentally tough but you also have to be in shape. If you think you are going to be lazy and a drama team in my program they have another thing coming. My girls also have to work hard to earn a spot on the team and also to earn playing time. The lazy ones weave themselves out of my program quickly because they can't take the workout and what is expected of them.

I don't agree with your statement for one second!!! I coached girls volleyball and the thing about it my girls are in great shape. We run and lift daily and they are mentally tough as well. Because when you are in a game 5 sitution when you only play to 15 with rally scoring you not only have to be mentally tough but you also have to be in shape. If you think you are going to be lazy and a drama team in my program they have another thing coming. My girls also have to work hard to earn a spot on the team and also to earn playing time. The lazy ones weave themselves out of my program quickly because they can't take the workout and what is expected of them.

Then, volleygirl, you are apparently the exception to the rule. I know dozens of basketball and track coaches who would love for a coach like you to work at their school.

Just to clarify here: your statement ...."they are also allowed to legally taunt the opponent after every dang point" NOT CORRECT. In fact, such conduct could lead to a sanction by the officials: yellow card = warning: red card = loss of rally/point; or red & yellow = expulsion from the match & loss of rally/point.

Just so you know. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify here: your statement ...."they are also allowed to legally taunt the opponent after every dang point" NOT CORRECT. In fact, such conduct could lead to a sanction by the officials: yellow card = warning: red card = loss of rally/point; or red & yellow = expulsion from the match & loss of rally/point.

Just so you know. :rolleyes:

OK, whistlme - I will have our BB girls yell "Yeah!!!!!!" at the top of their lungs every time we score a basket. Or maybe we can perform a ritualistic and choreographed dance after every made free throw.

It's taunting no matter what spin you put on it.