How 7A would affect ETX 5A Div I and II

Mavchamp

Matt stepp posted a mock 7A alignment last week....interesting stuff.  I'm not going to list his proposed districts since it's premium content....but lots of random thoughts about it and how it affects East Texas, specifically 5A.

1.  No 7A teams in ETX.  Not even Legacy would make the cut.

2. 6A...... Seeing Longview, Legacy, and Tyler in a East DFW district shocks no one..and it's with schools none of them are strangers to.  Longview will dominate that district more often than not.  Lufkin goes south to the Golden Triangle/NE Houston area....tough draw for LP.

3.  5A Div I..... Texas High and Nac bump up to Div I.  Texarkana finds themselves in a similar travel situation as they had when they were last in Div I.... all DFW.  Some long drives to Dallas, south of Dallas, and the eastern portions of the metroplex.  THS would continue to dominate that district like they have their current district.  Gotta feel bad for Nac.... some long drives to places like Huntsville and Baytown...but some stiff competition for huntsville and several other annual playoff teams.

4.  5A Div II sees the biggest shake up.  With Texarkana and Nac gone to Div I..... we see a split amongst those left in Div II.  The I-30 schools get grouped together with MP and SS going to the northern metroplex, reuniting with some old foes.  Meanwhile Marshall and Hallsville see PT move back up to 5A along with Lindale.   MP becomes an immediate playoff threat in their new district.  Marshall, Whitehouse, and Lindale look to battle for the district title more often than not...and PT has proven to be a contender of late too.

----------

TBH..... looking at it all..... I think most ETX schools would be happy with this alignment with the exceptions being Texas High and Nac because of travel.  I think Longview, Tyler, and Legacy would be pleased.  I think MP, Marshall, WH, and others are probably happy too.  LP is iffy.... that's a tough district...but it's better than being in the DFW..... 

Interesting stuff......

Of course....all of this is about football only.  The question is...... do we ever see split divisions in other sports?  Or would we see 7A in all sports instead?

• Wow 1

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Matt stepp posted a mock 7A alignment last week....interesting stuff.  I'm not going to list his proposed districts since it's premium content....but lots of random thoughts about it and how it affects East Texas, specifically 5A.

1.  No 7A teams in ETX.  Not even Legacy would make the cut.

2. 6A...... Seeing Longview, Legacy, and Tyler in a East DFW district shocks no one..and it's with schools none of them are strangers to.  Longview will dominate that district more often than not.  Lufkin goes south to the Golden Triangle/NE Houston area....tough draw for LP.

3.  5A Div I..... Texas High and Nac bump up to Div I.  Texarkana finds themselves in a similar travel situation as they had when they were last in Div I.... all DFW.  Some long drives to Dallas, south of Dallas, and the eastern portions of the metroplex.  THS would continue to dominate that district like they have their current district.  Gotta feel bad for Nac.... some long drives to places like Huntsville and Baytown...but some stiff competition for huntsville and several other annual playoff teams.

4.  5A Div II sees the biggest shake up.  With Texarkana and Nac gone to Div I..... we see a split amongst those left in Div II.  The I-30 schools get grouped together with MP and SS going to the northern metroplex, reuniting with some old foes.  Meanwhile Marshall and Hallsville see PT move back up to 5A along with Lindale.   MP becomes an immediate playoff threat in their new district.  Marshall, Whitehouse, and Lindale look to battle for the district title more often than not...and PT has proven to be a contender of late too.

----------

TBH..... looking at it all..... I think most ETX schools would be happy with this alignment with the exceptions being Texas High and Nac because of travel.  I think Longview, Tyler, and Legacy would be pleased.  I think MP, Marshall, WH, and others are probably happy too.  LP is iffy.... that's a tough district...but it's better than being in the DFW..... 

Interesting stuff......

Of course....all of this is about football only.  The question is...... do we ever see split divisions in other sports?  Or would we see 7A in all sports instead?

ohhh wow. that would definitely be interesting. it's amazing that they haven't sent Nac down south for football yet but have done it for the other sports.  

It's not a matter of "if" but "when." Texas ain't getting any smaller, and even massive metro-suburbs adding multiple high schools, we're still gonna see enrollment figures escalate in the DFW/HOU/ATX triangle. 

Longview is seeing steady growth, but only incremental. I expect us to dip down to 5A permanently at next realignment. The only way we'll rise to 6A is once a 7A is created.