Wal-Mart pays for abuses.

Guest Sideliner

Guest Sideliner

OAKLAND, California (AP) -- A California jury on Thursday awarded $172 million to thousands of employees at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. who claimed they were illegally denied lunch breaks.

The world's largest retailer was ordered to pay $57 million in general damages and $115 million in punitive damages to about 116,000 current and former California employees for violating a 2001 state law that requires employers to give 30-minute, unpaid lunch breaks to employees who work at least six hours.

Before legal fees, that's less than $1500 per person. Still too much for something as piddly and stupid as this. They weren't out any money because of it, and I gurentee none of them starved to death. I work 12 hour shifts and have for longer than I care to remember and I have never had a free lunch break. I think I'm going to sue someone because this bunk is giving me a headache.

Originally posted by Five0pd310

Before legal fees, that's less than $1500 per person. Still too much for something as piddly and stupid as this. They weren't out any money because of it, and I gurentee none of them starved to death. I work 12 hour shifts and have for longer than I care to remember and I have never had a free lunch break. I think I'm going to sue someone because this bunk is giving me a headache.

I usually agree with most of your thoughts, but I tottally disagree with this one.

I am not a big union fan by any means, but there needs to be SOME protection of workers.

I worked for a combined 4 years at two diff Wal-Mart stores, and for the most part have no complaints about the pay, the benefits or anything like that. The one complaint I did have was how SOME( and I dont mean all) managers treated workers when it came to breaks especially the cashiers.

Just because I did not need a lunch break everyday does not mean someone else can work the same way. Wal Mart itself has very STRICT rules on when a person can take a break, how long they are on break and the fact it is UNPAID. So if Wal-Mart is going to be strict on their workers about breaks, and fire people who take as they call it "illegal" breaks, then when Wal-Mart breaks the law( and their own rules) they should be punished.

Wal-Mart's policies on lunches and breaks are very clear......now IF a manager or manager's did tell associates to not go to their lunch, then yes they are at fault and should be punished....In that particular situation, I do not believe that it should necessarily be the company itself that gets punished, but the managers responsible....either way, justice has been done and life goes on.....as for unions, they can all go spit for all I care.....unions only care about their dues, and nothing more.....they are, in my opinion, no better than the old "political machines" from the earlier part of this century......

Originally posted by jasonattsu

Wal-Mart's policies on lunches and breaks are very clear......now IF a manager or manager's did tell associates to not go to their lunch, then yes they are at fault and should be punished....In that particular situation, I do not believe that it should necessarily be the company itself that gets punished, but the managers responsible....either way, justice has been done and life goes on.....as for unions, they can all go spit for all I care.....unions only care about their dues, and nothing more.....they are, in my opinion, no better than the old "political machines" from the earlier part of this century......

Jason, we haven't been in this century very long so is it possible you meant to say "old political machines from the earlier part of the past century?"

Guest Sideliner
Originally posted by jasonattsu

Just for you!

"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms is treason. If a man tells you he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool. There is no America without labor, and to fleece the one is to rob the other."

--*Abraham Lincoln*--

Guest Sideliner

Another for Jason.

"The labor movement means just this: It is the last noble protest of the American people against the power of incorporated wealth."

--*Wendell Phillips*--

Guest Sideliner

And another.

"In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, as 'right-to-work.' It provides no 'rights' and no 'works.' Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining... We demand this fraud be stopped."

--*Martin Luther King, Jr.*--

Guest Sideliner

Whats this?

"The American labor movement has consistently demonstrated its devotion to the public interest. It is, and has been, good for all America. Those who would destroy or further limit the rights of organized labor--those who cripple collective bargaining or prevent organization of the unorganized--do a disservice to the cause of democracy."

--*John F. Kennedy*--

Originally posted by TxEaglecaller

I usually agree with most of your thoughts, but I tottally disagree with this one.

I am not a big union fan by any means, but there needs to be SOME protection of workers.

I worked for a combined 4 years at two diff Wal-Mart stores, and for the most part have no complaints about the pay, the benefits or anything like that. The one complaint I did have was how SOME( and I dont mean all) managers treated workers when it came to breaks especially the cashiers.

Just because I did not need a lunch break everyday does not mean someone else can work the same way. Wal Mart itself has very STRICT rules on when a person can take a break, how long they are on break and the fact it is UNPAID. So if Wal-Mart is going to be strict on their workers about breaks, and fire people who take as they call it "illegal" breaks, then when Wal-Mart breaks the law( and their own rules) they should be punished.

I'm sorry, but 6 hours without a lunch break is not going to end the world. Honestly, is it worth $1500 dollars? Also, if it is Wal-Mart's rules and the individual managers were violating that, then they should be punished by Wal Mart. But in no way should this result in punitive damages. What money were these employees out? None. Not one red cent. That's what irks me. I despise the way some in this country feel that "I got my feelings hurt, give me some money." It's rediculous.

I'm sorry, but 6 hours without a lunch break is not going to end the world. Honestly, is it worth $1500 dollars? Also, if it is Wal-Mart's rules and the individual managers were violating that, then they should be punished by Wal Mart. But in no way should this result in punitive damages. What money were these employees out? None. Not one red cent. That's what irks me. I despise the way some in this country feel that "I got my feelings hurt, give me some money." It's rediculous.

Well first you act like it is just one day that this happened, and also how do you know they are only working 6 hours? The law states 30 mins of break if you work AT LEAST 6 hours.

If Wal-Mart breaks a law then how else are you going to punish a big company besides thru money.

Guest Sideliner
Originally posted by 50pinch

Hey, I'm a slave. Can I sue?

I work 12 hrs a day and only get paid for 8.

Just look on the U.S. labor website. You can recover lost wages for up to two years....

Well first you act like it is just one day that this happened, and also how do you know they are only working 6 hours? The law states 30 mins of break if you work AT LEAST 6 hours.

If Wal-Mart breaks a law then how else are you going to punish a big company besides thru money.

I realize that it was not just a one day thing. I also realize that they worked only "at least" 6 hours. I'm saying that the problem lies with the local managers and that their jobs should be on the line. Taking money away from the business is only taking money away from the remaining employees and the store's shoppers. Wal-Mart will get their money back through its customers and employees. Giving these people money only hurts everyone else and has nothing to do with getting a lunch break.

I realize that it was not just a one day thing. I also realize that they worked only "at least" 6 hours. I'm saying that the problem lies with the local managers and that their jobs should be on the line. Taking money away from the business is only taking money away from the remaining employees and the store's shoppers. Wal-Mart will get their money back through its customers and employees. Giving these people money only hurts everyone else and has nothing to do with getting a lunch break.

Yes the problem lies with the managers, but who does the managers represent when they are on the job? Wal Mart. Also I would like to know if they went thru the chain of command in the Wal Mart system with their grievance.

So you don't care for the many, many people who's livelihood depends on their jobs at Wal Mart (insert any business's name here)?

I dont care for what wal-mart has become, and what it does to its employee's. This and the Butcher situation are both good examples.

i dont think the way wal-mart does business now is anything like what Sam Walton intended.

Originally posted by Colligula

So you don't care for the many, many people who's livelihood depends on their jobs at Wal Mart (insert any business's name here)?

I dont care for what wal-mart has become, and what it does to its employee's. This and the Butcher situation are both good examples.

i dont think the way wal-mart does business now is anything like what Sam Walton intended.

Actually I think it was exactly as Walton intended, it is just when he started most of the laws such as the breaks and stuff were not in place.

Wally World made its money because at one time it hired pretty much nothing but part timers that they did not have to offer benefits for. Times have changed, and for the most part Wal Mart has to. Like I said 99% of my time working for them I had no complaints.

The biggest complaints I had was how they settled problems between workers and managment. They pretty much would stonewall you until you either just gave up, or was forced to go outside the company for help.

After reading Sam Walton's book several times, even on Sunday morning, he had his top staff there where they'd have a meeting. Sam was from the old school. Department of Labor laws have been in force, for as long as I've been in the workforce of if you worked eight hours a day, you had a lunch break and two 15-minute breaks, period, no ifs, ands or buts.

However, what seems interesting to me is, when we were doing court hearings... many times I would have to tell my reporters to lie to the Judge, if need be for health reasons, that they indeed needed at least a 30 minute lunch break and one morning and afternoon break. These are Judges, mind you.

If you're hourly, anything over 40 hours a week is overtime, period, not two weeks, but one week. Only the government can give comp time - I know, because I got in a bit of a bind over that myself.

If you're salary, you're at their disposal. In fact, one time many years ago, we figured what my husband made an hour being salary, and I think it was like $2 and something... jeesh!