Michael Irvin.....

Herban was a great talent but had the problem that surfaces more and more in sports.

His "sweet tooth" will cost him in the first ballot voting I would say.

That nose candy that Herban was fond of will not go unnoticed by the Hall on his first try.

:mad::fish:

The off the field problems of Michael Irvin are just an excuse for the anti-Cowboy bias that permeates the HOF voters.

The HOF voters elected Lawrence Taylor to the Hall of Fame, in his first year of eligibility. L.T. had major off the field problems so I don't see why Irvin's off the field problems should keep him out, on the third try, if similar problems did not deny Taylor in his first try.

Originally posted by shoelessjoelives

Herban was a great talent but had the problem that surfaces more and more in sports.

His "sweet tooth" will cost him in the first ballot voting I would say.

That nose candy that Herban was fond of will not go unnoticed by the Hall on his first try.

:mad::fish:

Maybe we should take it a little further. Anybody already in ANY Hall of Fame(especially Baseball) with an arrest record should be taken out of the HOF. Maybe that will please the Holier than thou Shoeless Joe.:w00t:

Never paid any attention to the number of times Herb-an has been on the ballot. I don't care about his arrest record either, he is just like the dozen or so other cowboy felons in their history.

Berry, don't get defensive over a little cowboy knockin' when the stories are all true.:whome:

Never paid any attention to the number of times Herb-an has been on the ballot. I don't care about his arrest record either, he is just like the dozen or so other cowboy felons in their history.

What Baseball team was Shoeless Joe a member of? There all fellons now right? Are there any felons in the hall?

Totally different deal. You know as well as anyone that if what happened in 1919 was brought forward to the present it never would have taken place because of the Players Union.

Non the less, it is not called the Football or Baseball hall of fame for Outstanding Moral Athletes. What they do off the field is not relevant. If it is, then you must remove all prior inductees that had problems as well.

Couldn't do that because the membership would be too small to make it worth building a Hall. Maybe only the need for a small Mt. Rushmore type setup would suffice.

HAhaha yeah! Good point.:whome:

You do have to admit that honoring people who perform these extra activities simply tell people that is ok to be a drug addict as long as your a rich ball player. The key word you mentioned is MORAL. That implies how you act in everything you do, not how you act sometimes.

Originally posted by Medman7

You do have to admit that honoring people who perform these extra activities simply tell people that is ok to be a drug addict as long as your a rich ball player. The key word you mentioned is MORAL. That implies how you act in everything you do, not how you act sometimes.

And I have no problem with what you said but you cant start judging athletes by their morals now and not include the immoral that are already in the hall. What kind of message does that send?

My answer is "not until these guys get in first" :

Cliff Branch

Mike Curtis

Horace Gillom

L.C. Greenwood

Ray Guy

Chris Hanburger

Cliff Harris

Bob Hayes

Gene Hickerson

Chuck Howley

Harold Jackson

Rich Jackson

Ed "Too Tall" Jones

Jerry Kramer

Jim Marshall

Art Monk

Tommy Nobis

Drew Pearson

Charley Sanders

Ken Stabler

Mick Tinglehoff

Originally posted by BoBellCrew

pretty weak competition this year

meh -- give me a break :mad:

Here is this year's "weak" list of 17 finalists . . . many of whom did not enjoy the luxary of playing in the SportsCenter era:

• Bruce Matthews
  • Gary Zimmerman
  • Bob Kuechenberg
  • Russ Grimm
  • Gene Hickerson
  • Fred Dean
  • Richard Dent
  • Andre Tippett
  • Derrick Thomas
  • Ray Guy
  • Michael Irvin
  • Art Monk
  • Roger Wehrli
  • Charlie Sanders
  • Thurman Thomas
  • Andre Reed
  • Paul Tagliabue

I can think of a dozen or so Cowboys and countless other NFL greats that are just as deserving or more so than Michael Irvin.

The thing that I remember most about Irvin was more times than not I kept asking myself, "Geez, how did he get away with that? That was offensive interference!" He certainly holds the NFL record for getting away with offensive pass interference!!! I think he wore the officials down he did it so often, they just couldn't throw their flag EVERY time the ball was thrown in his direction! :w00t:

Very Very true. It should have started in the beginning. You cannot start over now!

They should remove the phrase of "OUTSTANDING MORAL ATHLETES" from the criteria and just leave it at "Outstanding Athletic Accomplishments"!!!! To go off on another tangent; If they are going to let illegal drug users in, then there is no reason to not let Pete Rose in. I do not see gambling being any worse than the amount of drugs that numbers of professional athletes do on any given day. As the saying goes, "A sin is a sin, no matter how big or small they are all judged the same"!

:blink:

Congrats to Michael on getting into the HOF. The Chicago Bulls had their "Triangle Offense". The Cowboys has their "Triplets". And Michael was an intregal part of the "Triplets". I think that he earned his way into the HOF with his play on the playing field, and work habits on the practice field and in the locker room.

Just don't follow him home or anytime he isn't on cowboys or ESPN "time". You might get into the dark side of the world and not want to be there.......but it could be too late then.

Herb-an will have to watch those temptations and demons that his body apparently either craves or wants because it only takes one time of being in the wrong place at the wrong time..........and at that point it could net ol' Herban a pine box.

Again, don't hang around with him after school, little Johnnie.

AND why hasn't the guy who changed the pro game forever with his play not been awarded for his impact on the game? Ray Guy should have already been in Canton and delivered that speech to the throngs. Wake up voters and don't forget this player who brought about such dramatic changes to the game.