Michael Irvin elected to the Hall of Fame

He made it to the HOF. What do you think? He is about to speak on the NFL network

Irvin gains NFL Hall; Tagliabue denied By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

11 minutes ago

MIAMI - Michael Irvin was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday despite a troubled past, though voters denied entry to retired NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The former Dallas Cowboys receiver, who won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, got in on his third try.

Irvin pleaded no contest in 1996 to felony cocaine possession. Four years later, he was arrested on drug possession charges, but they were later dropped.

The 40 Hall voters were criticized by two of Irvin's former teammates, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, for previously bypassing the wideout, who retired in 1999.

They didn't ignore him this time.

Tagliabue was eliminated in the first round of voting.

Also voted in were running back Thurman Thomas, offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, defensive back Roger Wehrli and two nominees of the veterans' committee — tight end Charlie Sanders and guard Gene Hickerson.

Irvin finished his career with 750 receptions for 11,904 yards and 65 touchdowns. He was selected to five straight Pro Bowls and picked for the NFL's all-decade team of the 1990s.

Thomas was the league's most valuable player in 1991, when he gained more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage. His 13 seasons with 50-plus receptions, nine of them in a row, are exceeded only by Jerry Rice. He joins Jim Kelly, who made the Hall of Fame in 2002, from the Buffalo teams that won four straight AFC titles before losing in each Super Bowl.

Matthews, the only player in his first year of eligibility, spent 19 seasons with the Oilers/Titans franchise, playing more games than any positional player in NFL history when he retired in 2001. He did it as a guard, tackle and center. Matthews never missed a game because of injury.

"I loved playing every one," he said, referring to all the positions. "Big thing was when coaches asked me to switch, they made the team better by doing so.

"I never had to grow up, could play like I was a kid, played till I was 40, and now you are telling me I am in the Hall of Fame. I hadn't been nervous about it until I saw my family and they were ready to melt down," he said by phone from Texas.

Wehrli was a five-time All-Pro cornerback who played 14 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, starting as a rookie in 1969. He once intercepted three passes by Roger Staubach in a win over Dallas and made the league's 1970s all-decade squad.

Sanders spent a decade with the Lions and was one of the few outstanding receivers among tight ends on his way to seven Pro Bowls.

"This has been a journey," he said. "The last few days have been very nerve-racking, not only for me but my family and, I know, a lot of my friends. This is a blessing."

Hickerson played 15 seasons for the Browns as the lead blocker for three Hall of Famers — Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Bobby Mitchell — and has been eligible for 29 years.

"I am honored to be joining such an elite group of individuals and to be remembered as one of the best linemen of all time," Hickerson said.

Tagliabue's legacy was strong, including labor peace throughout his 18 seasons as commissioner; enhancing diversity in coaching and front-office hirings; television deals that now bring the NFL more than $25 billion in revenues; expansion to 32 teams; establishment of the NFL Network; and a rising global presence.

But it wasn't enough to sway the voters this year.

Originally posted by shoelessjoelives

What are you saying............betting on baseball is worse than taking and using illegal drugs.

Nice spin Shoeless. I think he is referring to on the field production as apposed to off.

Well heck, we have discussed this many times about the off-the field antics and habits of pro athletes.

That is a problem with the outgoing and going out tonight group. They play hard on and off the field because the adorng public falls all over them (literally and physically).

Congrats to Michael Irvin. The 2nd of the "Triplets". Next will be Emmitt Smith and the "Triplets" will be immortalized forever at Canton.

I'm glad that Michael has turned his life around .. apparently. I hope so. He earned his way into the HOF. I'm looking forward to seeing his acceptance speech this fall, and who he selects to introduce him.

The 90's Cowboys are getting their "just rewards", so far. Now if only the 70's could be up a couple of more HOF'ers. But it doesn't look good at the moment.

Can't agree with you on that. By saying that, you are telling everyone don't gamble but go home and do all of the illegal drugs you want and you will still get HONORED. Where is the HONOR in that. If they are going to let people who do drugs in then they ought as well let gamblers in. The only difference between Pete and all of the others who gamble on the games is the fact that he got caught and exploited for it. It is nieve to think that it does not occur on everygame played. Somone is always putting up inside bets. Sad but true. I don't see it any worse. The hall is stacked with those who have been tainted for one reason or another. That is like comparing little white lies to Big Extravagant False Stories. It is all flat out lying anyway you look at it. What is good for the goose is good for the gander on this one!!!!

Irvin is not the first player to be inducted into the HOF that had off the field problems. It has been around 10 years since Irvin has been in any type of legal trouble that I know of, so I would say he has turned his life around just like L.T. who was another HOF with multiple off the field issues.

Congrats to Michael Irvin for a well deserved place in the HOF.

Originally posted by cheaptrick77

^ Yeah, I agree, TEC -- I think Ernie Nevers and Red Grange should be removed from the HOF IMMEDIATELY -- those darn drunkards !! :whome:

Laugh it up..but the simple fact is during that time it was ILLEGAL to drink...Irvin is being chastised for doing ILLEGAL drugs and getting caught. Please explain how it is different?

And I did not mean just the football HOF I meant baseball as well.

The difference is that if you or I had been caught with as much drugs as Irvin has, we would be under the jail. But since he was a rich and famous ball player, he got away with a slap on the wrist an obviously does't have to worry about it following him forever. If you or I had that on our record and applied for a job in the next lifetime, it would haunt us and keep us unemployed. It's is for people like him to tell the younger generation that you can do all of the drugs you want, get away with it, and someday be be honored. That is way past messed up. You can't twist it much more!!!!:no::no::no::no::no:

Otherwise he was making a complete mockery of this mess.