A retired teachers outlook on public education

RETIREDFAN1

12 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Marxists have infiltrated education with their curriculum guidelines and PLC BS....all of this research based curriculum needs to be thrown out...who DOES the research? Liberal Marxist communists....

Never taught, but based on the actions of younger folks, simple answer, Yes.

12 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Marxists have infiltrated education with their curriculum guidelines and PLC BS....all of this research based curriculum needs to be thrown out...who DOES the research? Liberal Marxist communists....

We home school. Have you seen what Texas requires as far as home schooling? It's actually quite lenient.

This FAQ has a lot...

https://thsc.org/requirements-to-homeschool-in-texas/

From the link:

According to the Leeper case, the only legal requirements to homeschool in Texas are:

• The instruction must be bona fide (i.e., not a sham).
  • The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor).
  • The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics and good citizenship.
    • Good citizenship is similar to civics. Public schools teach one semester of civics, usually in the senior year of high school. Teaching U.S. and Texas history, government (theoretical and practical), the Pledge of Allegiance, and similar activities will also help meet this requirement.

Note that for "good citizenship" it doesn't really say what must be taught under that umbrella, or how it must be taught.

But to that end, our curriculum is more rigorous than that. We teach from a STEM based approach. We teach a full day. We teach math, science, a technology class, an arts class (this year it's digital art with Blender, last year it was music composition), English, Social Studies, foreign language, and have him exercise daily as PE.

For necessary subjects, we try to use a variety of source material.

And honestly, I think there will be more (though I can't predict how many) people who figure out that they can actually home school their kids, and will do so once the pandemic is over.

15 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

The bad thing I see with home schooling is , I see parents who barely know their shapes and numbers schooling their kids. 

That could be true. And legally they can. But there are also online curricula (people have developed whole lesson plans for this stuff, believe it or not) and other resources that can be used.

Just now, Monte1076 said:

That could be true. And legally they can. But there are also online curricula (people have developed whole lesson plans for this stuff, believe it or not) and other resources that can be used.

There is pros & cons to this like everything else.  

1 minute ago, Monte1076 said:

Absolutely. "Traditional" methods of learning (i.e. public school) isn't always a fit for everyone.

I know.  If it is not working for your child, then try something different .  That is my philosophy on education.  Parents usually know what is going on with their kid than anybody else.  In Waco and now in most places, there is now athletic organizations that allow hoe school kids to play all sport like the kids in public schools do.  In Waco it would be Texas Wind.  I transferred my two kids to Bosqueville ISD from Waco ISD a couple of years ago.