Bledsoe vs. Romo

Guest texpal22
Originally posted by golffingnut
Originally posted by Living4Christ

Romo definitely did a great job as did the offensive line, but without the many Carolina mistakes (turnovers, dropped passes), would this game have turned out differently?

Differently, yes. Would Carolina win? No. Take away those Carolina turnovers and Romo's stats would have been even better. When they got the lead late, they started running it every play and Jones/Barber got three touchdowns. Romo passed for 270 completing 24-of-36 attempts and nobody can take that away from him.

One thing is for sure: the next two defenses shouldn't be as good as Carolina.

The turnovers gave the Cowboys a short field to work with. Yes, Jones and Barber did a great job running the ball, but if not for the turnovers, would the Boys have been running? Maybe that's why Romo would have better numbers because he would have been passing more if not for Carolina mistakes. Also, you know that if not for the many, many dropped passes, the Panthers were moving the ball down the field. I'm not saying Romo shouldn't be the starter, I'm just saying I don't believe there is anyway the Boys score 25 in the 4th except for the Carolina mistakes.

no they probably wouldn't have scored 25 in the 4th qtr. but while we are making excuses for the Panthers let look at the 3 games Dallas lost. did they or did they not make mistakes? did those mistakes hurt them? i would say yes. it cost them at least 2 of those games.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romo has to do this more than one week to convince his critics that he is the right man for the QB job....

I for one think that he is the right guy for the job, he does a great job of spreading the ball around, I'd be interested to know how many different guys caught balls in the game the other night compared to how many guys Bledsoe got the ball to....

I truly feel Bledsoe was shutting T.O. out.... He's one of the best WR in the NFL for a reason.... Keep feeding him the ball Tony, and we'll be alright!

In the past, I have totally blamed the QB's for any interceptions thrown, but as we all know just because a pass is intercepted doesn't mean the QB is at fault. Receivers break off routes, run the wrong routes, defense's play good defense, bad offensive line, etc., etc. I'm not excusing Bledsoe, but before I hang him out to dry, I would like to make sure I have all the information I need to blame him.

As far as Bledsoe not throwing to TO, I seem to remember that TO has been injured the first part of the season. Also when he has played, he has dropped passes, not been open and on many plays, he didn't even look like he was trying to get open. Yes, his being in the game was opening up throws for Glenn, who Bledsoe was throwing to. I don't see a problem with that. I do agree that Romo throws to many different receivers and I say again that Romo had a great game Sunday, but one game doesn't make him the answer to the Cowboys problems.

I like Romo, I hope he is the answer, but I still say after four years of the Cowboys putting every QB under the sun ahead of him, I don't believe that even Jones or Parsells thinks he is the answer. I don't believe that Parsells wanted to make the move of going with Romo and I don't believe he was convinced that he was doing the right thing. His emotions after the game Sunday night weren't emotions of "look at me, I was right", they were emotions of "whew, I'm glad that turned out good".

In the past, I have totally blamed the QB's for any interceptions thrown, but as we all know just because a pass is intercepted doesn't mean the QB is at fault. Receivers break off routes, run the wrong routes, defense's play good defense, bad offensive line, etc., etc. I'm not excusing Bledsoe, but before I hang him out to dry, I would like to make sure I have all the information I need to blame him.

As far as Bledsoe not throwing to TO, I seem to remember that TO has been injured the first part of the season. Also when he has played, he has dropped passes, not been open and on many plays, he didn't even look like he was trying to get open. Yes, his being in the game was opening up throws for Glenn, who Bledsoe was throwing to. I don't see a problem with that. I do agree that Romo throws to many different receivers and I say again that Romo had a great game Sunday, but one game doesn't make him the answer to the Cowboys problems.

I like Romo, I hope he is the answer, but I still say after four years of the Cowboys putting every QB under the sun ahead of him, I don't believe that even Jones or Parsells thinks he is the answer. I don't believe that Parsells wanted to make the move of going with Romo and I don't believe he was convinced that he was doing the right thing. His emotions after the game Sunday night weren't emotions of "look at me, I was right", they were emotions of "whew, I'm glad that turned out good".

I think you are right on about almost all of it, but I disagree about Parcells not thinking Romo could be the answer. I mean when they had all those people getting an opportunity in front of him, I believe Parcells has been quietly grooming Romo. Now I do agree that he wasn't convinced that Romo could get the job done, and it most certainly was hugs and kisses of relief.

But, my point would be that Parcells has always saw something in Romo ever since they brought him here. Otherwise why wouldn't he have shipped him right along with the others? I mean, there was certainly no hurry with Hutch or Henson they signed them to long term deals so they could take their time. I think the reason it took so long is more a product of Parcell's cautious nature. Plus it had to be hard to bench Bledsoe after all they had been through together. And nobody can argue that Bledsoe is a class act.

Those are really good points about the mistakes and Carolina's inability to make the Cowboys pay for theirs. I am right there with you on that. They have "potential" to be a really great team this year if they can eliminate that kind of thing. Thats what frustrates me the most, and I am sure that is what eats Parcells alive. If they did those things vs the Colts you could probably at least flip that score around.

But, I will say that if this team rallies around Romo and minimizes those mental errors, they could really be dangerous come playoff time. I think Romo really has a chance to invigorate this football team. I hope he does...

Romo. Bledsoe has gotten so gun shy, he pays more attention to the defense coming at him than his receivers down the field. 14 years of pressure and getting slammed to the turf (ouch!) has seriously affected his confidence. Blitzes seem to make him nut up and forget that he needs to dump the ball out quickly. Romo is young and fearless because he hasn't been exposed to the years of pounding Bledsoe has. Simple case of age versus youth.

Romo's the man.:dalcowboys:

• 2 weeks later...

After yesterday I wonder if anyone would like to change their opinion of Romo.

Like Sean Salisbury says "Romo has it".

He even said he thought they were the best team in NFC. I hope he's right.

Romo looks to be the guy the 'Boys have been searching for since Aikman I know its only been 4 games but he is lightyears better than anyone else we have tried

his stats are like Aikman's were when Aikman was playing well Im really excited to see what the future holds for him and in this wk's game Manning did not look much different than Bledsoe

its not often that a 1st yr starter outplays prob the best QB of all-time

Originally posted by imyahuckleberry

After yesterday I wonder if anyone would like to change their opinion of Romo.

Like Sean Salisbury says "Romo has it".

He even said he thought they were the best team in NFC. I hope he's right.

Does Romo "Have it" ??? I love the way Romo plays, (or at least the way he has been playing)

I bleed Silver and Blue .. I watched the "Ice Bowl" and cried, I saw the Colts kick a field goal to go up 16-13 in SB V, and I have an autographed picture of Roger Staubach from when he visited Longview Sears in about 1970ish, right before he led the '71-'72 Pokes to victory over the Dolphins in SB VI, and have been in pain when the Steelers took SB X and SB XIII, and when they went 1-13 before Jones, Johnson, Aikman, Smith & Irvin, and endured Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Carter, Testiverde & Bledsoe, etc... (point is I am with the the "Boyz" win or lose.)

Is Romo the next overachiever turned Pro-Bowler turned Hall of Famer ?? or is he the next Danny White that was a real good QB but never presided over a SB Victory?? or is he the next Kurt Warner type (one or two year wonder then flame-out) ??? We just don't know...

But for now I like what I see!! I am a ROMO fan (for now)

I can relate Bobcat1976 to your memories of the boys. I recall everything you mentioned.

Only time will tell on Romo, but he's got it going on right now. I even heard he's trying to score on Jessica Simpson.

I do know he's light years ahead of the quarterbacks we've had since Troy retired.

I'm going with Romo on this one.

I'm not saying that Drew is a bad qb, but he didn't produce numbers with the Cowboys. In my mind he didn't take advantage of T.O. enough and he played too conservative at times. When Bledsoe was quaterback, alot of blame went on the O-line...ever since Romo's been qb nobody's really mentioned the O-line because Romo's five times more mobile than Bledsoe and can also throw good on the run.

I have known that Romo would be a good QB, but I wasn't sure putting him in vs. the Giants was a good idea. I have watched him in pre-season for 4 years and this year's pre-season he looked great. I was worried about how he would play in a regular season game since he had no in-game experience. I am glad to say that he has been a very pleasant surprise even though I was pretty sure he would be good. I think Bledsoe could be gone as soon as possibly the end of the season. In my opinion, Dallas has their future QB in Romo, so I think they should pick up a decent back-up QB that they can get for cheap so they will have more cap room.