Bo Talkington resigns at Overton

Mr. P

Well, that was last year and I guess you're referring to the football field....and I think this has no bearing on what mustangmania was commenting on....

Hmmmmm....West Rusk as not had a home field in two years and their coach is still there, so your argument is without merit...

I believe the mess this guy is talking about is how it took a year longer to get the field ready than what the citizens were told. A plan was made by the board and presented for the voters of Overton to vote on. As soon as they got their votes, they went and completely changed the plans up. As a voter I do not think it is right. There should have been another vote on the new plans. What a mess.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't totally disagree with this statement. We were told by the firm doing the work that we would play football in september of 2010 And they dropped the ball on that. But it was not because of lack of effort from some school board members. The main change that was made was on re locating the gymnasium and that was a financial matter. But once again that's a totally different post.

We were told by the firm doing the work that we would play football in September of 2010 and they dropped the ball on that. But it was not because of lack of effort from some school board members.

As I recall (since I was there covering those meetings for the paper) the board and OISD administration was just as displeased as the voters during this turn of events. I also know at least one board member who was furious that his son wouldn't be able to play a home game in his senior year. Just sayin' because, y'know, I don't think the board/admin was necessarily at fault in that fiasco. Like anything in life, hindsight is 20/20.

But, yeah, this is all water under the bridge at this point. I'm gearing up for the next stadium bond issue election... likely not gonna happen 'til 2050. ;)

coach T is a great coach and has been a great example of high character, discipline, and ethics in the past two years at overton high school. i didn't agree with every choice he made while he was here, but i'm not sure that could be said of anyone, ever. People wanting to say overton won't win because of SB, Admin, or parents have zero logic in their post. proof= basketball, baseball, volleyball, girls basketball, track, powerlifting, and so on. the focus of this thread should be thanking coach

T for his years of service to our school and our kids. the fact that he did it with a great ethics as an example for my sons means more to me than any record, be it 4-6 or 6-4 with a playoff run. he did it with no field in the first year, not even a practice field. sports is about teaching a kid to try when everything in him says to quit. coach T did an excellent job of that. and that is something a lot of coaches in 1a fail to do. and i only hope we can find another AD to do the job as well as coach T did.

THANK YOU COACH T FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!!!!!!

coach T is a great coach and has been a great example of high character, discipline, and ethics in the past two years at overton high school. i didn't agree with every choice he made while he was here, but i'm not sure that could be said of anyone, ever. People wanting to say overton won't win because of SB, Admin, or parents have zero logic in their post. proof= basketball, baseball, volleyball, girls basketball, track, powerlifting, and so on. the focus of this thread should be thanking coach

T for his years of service to our school and our kids. the fact that he did it with a great ethics as an example for my sons means more to me than any record, be it 4-6 or 6-4 with a playoff run. he did it with no field in the first year, not even a practice field. sports is about teaching a kid to try when everything in him says to quit. coach T did an excellent job of that. and that is something a lot of coaches in 1a fail to do. and i only hope we can find another AD to do the job as well as coach T did.

THANK YOU COACH T FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!!!!!!

Yeah,...what Ty said ....

"who cares what Carlisle and JB Sears did, they really sucked back then"

Just Brought it up since the question was asked... and it was unusual then and now.. said it probably wouldn't work.

he was 29-29... had 2 playoff teams in 6 years... if that "really sucked" its tough in O-town now.

Hope Overton finds the right fit.

If Overton wants a proven coach and a winner, then all they have to do is hire Willie Hargett...

Where's Coach Hargett at now? Lord, I used to hate him back in the day... those New Diana teams he coached, man, something else. Even if you beat 'em you were tore up in the morning. A very physical style of play. I hated it... as an opponent. ;)

Where's Coach Hargett at now? Lord, I used to hate him back in the day... those New Diana teams he coached, man, something else. Even if you beat 'em you were tore up in the morning. A very physical style of play. I hated it... as an opponent. ;)

That is a fact, when you played the Eagles back then the next morning you knew you had been in a tough game. Willie is in UG. I know we played Overton just about every year back then and it was always a very hard hitting, clean played football game. The Overton school board would be crazy not to consider this option. I used to laugh at some of the people in ND when they would complain about Willie's grind it out offense, and relentless defense, but you know what, the bottom line is this he won a hell of a lot of ball games, and was in the playoff's 14 of the 19 years here that he was head coach. Overton would be doing their school and communtiy justice by hiring this man.

That is a fact, when you played the Eagles back then the next morning you knew you had been in a tough game. Willie is in UG. I know we played Overton just about every year back then and it was always a very hard hitting, clean played football game. The Overton school board would be crazy not to consider this option. I used to laugh at some of the people in ND when they would complain about Willie's grind it out offense, and relentless defense, but you know what, the bottom line is this he won a hell of a lot of ball games, and was in the playoff's 14 of the 19 years here that he was head coach. Overton would be doing their school and communtiy justice by hiring this man.

Totally agree!!! Coach Hargett is a heck of a coach. ND had some of the toughest kids back in the 90's. They beat many teams that clearly had more talent, simply due to the fact that they were well coached and very tough. If ND had Hargett back and maybe a couple Clint Loggins on the team they would be back to the old days in no time.

Totally agree!!! Coach Hargett is a heck of a coach. ND had some of the toughest kids back in the 90's. They beat many teams that clearly had more talent, simply due to the fact that they were well coached and very tough. If ND had Hargett back and maybe a couple Clint Loggins on the team they would be back to the old days in no time.

Singlewing you are right, my son played with Clint and they were in the playoff's in 92,94,and 95. Went to Quarterfinals in 92 and 95. ND has not been the same since Hargett left. Don't get me wrong Coach Adans is a good coach, but Willie just had that nack for getting a whole lot more out of average kids than most Coaches. But I can promise you one thing, when Willie was there the kids would knock the fire out of you and I just don't see that in the ND kids since he left. That is what he would bring to Overton, tough hard nose kids that have no qiut in them.

I believe the mess this guy is talking about is how it took a year longer to get the field ready than what the citizens were told. A plan was made by the board and presented for the voters of Overton to vote on. As soon as they got their votes, they went and completely changed the plans up. As a voter I do not think it is right. There should have been another vote on the new plans. What a mess.

Why do schools let their stadiums get in such states of disrepair that they can no longer be used?

It's like they don't think about anything but today.

And this is not exclusive to Overton. I believe Carthage and West Rusk also found themselves in this same situation.

No real good reasons I'm sure. Just lack of maintenance or in west rusk case just old facilities that did not get updated soon enough from what I understand.

With as many highly-paid administrators as school districts seem to have these days -

You'd think somebody could figure out when a stadium has outlived its usfulness -

Before the school is left without a stadium.

Why do schools let their stadiums get in such states of disrepair that they can no longer be used?

It's like they don't think about anything but today.

And this is not exclusive to Overton. I believe Carthage and West Rusk also found themselves in this same situation.

They do it on purpose. The voters have no choice but to vote for a bond to replace it. Good way to get turf.