Alex Jones Trying To Weasel Out Of Accountability After False Flagging Sandy Hook

BarryLaverty

Such a cowardly weasel...

(Washington Post)

Sandy Hook families reject lawsuit settlement offer from Alex Jones
By Brittany Shammas
Yesterday at 6:26 p.m. EDT

“Infowars” founder Alex Jones offered this week to pay $120,000 per plaintiff to resolve a lawsuit filed by the families of six people killed in the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The response came within a matter of hours: no.

“The so-called offer,” lawyers for the families wrote in Connecticut court filings, “is a transparent and desperate attempt by Alex Jones to escape a public reckoning under oath with his deceitful, profit-driven campaign against the plaintiffs and the memory of their loved ones lost at Sandy Hook.”

Wednesday’s rejection sets the stage for the two sides to meet at trial. A jury is to decide how much Jones will pay over his false assertions that the Newtown, Conn., shooting — which left 20 elementary schoolchildren and six adults dead — was “a giant hoax.”

The defamation case has already been decided in favor of the families. In one of a series of legal defeats for the far-right commenter over his Sandy Hook falsehoods, Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis ruled in November that Jones was liable by default after he and his companies refused to turn over documents as required by the court.

She found him in contempt of court Wednesday after he skipped two depositions scheduled for last week in his hometown of Austin. His lawyers blamed an undisclosed illness, saying doctors had ordered him to not to work or sit for questioning. Yet as they were making that case, Jones was busy doing a four-hour broadcast of “The Alex Jones Show” at his studio.

Lawyers for the families had wanted him arrested.

Alex Jones must pay damages to Sandy Hook families in another defamation case, judge rules

In a statement posted to his website before the hearing, Jones said he had a “genuine and long-standing” desire to resolve the lawsuit, noting that the Sandy Hook shooting was “almost a decade behind us.” He portrayed the families’ lawyers as “ambulance chasers” and suggested they aim to destroy “Infowars.”

“We are not going to be driven out of business by ambitious lawyers or those who hate dissent,” he said.

The families behind the lawsuit, including relatives of four children and two educators killed in the shooting as well as a first responder who was at the scene, have waged the legal battle against Jones for years. They argue in court records that he has profited from spinning “outrageous, malicious and deeply hurtful lies” he knows to be untrue by suggesting that the shooting was a “false flag” operation perpetuated by “crisis actors.”

His baseless theories, they say, have come with real-life consequences.

“As a result of Jones’s campaign, the families and survivors of the Sandy Hook shooting have been forced to endure malicious and cruel abuse at the hands of ruthless and unscrupulous people,” said the complaint filed in 2018. “On a regular basis, the families and survivors have faced physical confrontation and harassment.”

Jones recanted his Sandy Hook comments in a 2019 deposition, blaming them on “a form of psychosis.” The settlement offer he extended Tuesday gave a few vague words of contrition: “Mr. Jones extends his heartfelt apology for any distress his remarks caused.”

But the families and their lawyers were not appeased. Attorney Christopher Mattei criticized Jones’s absence in the previous week’s scheduled depositions as “a cowardly display intended to cheat the plaintiffs of their right to put him under oath and ask him questions,” Connecticut Public Radio reported.

In seeking Jones’s arrest, the families’ attorneys said his “strategy of obfuscation and delay tactics is now all too familiar territory.”

Jones responded with an “Infowars” post titled “Sandy Hook Mafia Calls For Alex Jones’ Arrest: Legendary Talk Show Host Responds.” In it, he claimed he was “treated worse than somebody on death row.” His lawyers said in court records that he had willingly sat for depositions in other Sandy Hook litigation and was merely “listening to his doctors.”

Bellis, however, ruled that he had “willfully and in bad faith violated without justification several clear court orders requiring his attendance at his depositions,” Reuters reported. If he completes the deposition by April 15, she said, he can clear the contempt ruling. But beginning Friday, he will be fined $25,000 for each weekday he does not comply.

11 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Oh, please do go on and explain. :munch:

Look it up.....I DID explain when the incident originally happened......you either didn't take the time to read it, OR (more probable), you are getting old and losing memory capacity like kirt......:rofl:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Look it up.....I DID explain when the incident originally happened......you either didn't take the time to read it, OR (more probable), you are getting old and losing memory capacity like kirt......:rofl:

Let's say I slept since then...so Adam Lanza didn't shoot all those kids, because of his mental issues? This wasn't a made up event that either: A. Didn't occur at all or B. Was done by government forces or others to influence gun control? I want to make sure I am clear on that part of it. Alex Jones evidently wasn't. 

2 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Let's say I slept since then...so Adam Lanza didn't shoot all those kids, because of his mental issues? This wasn't a made up event that either: A. Didn't occur at all or B. Was done by government forces or others to influence gun control? I want to make sure I am clear on that part of it. Alex Jones evidently wasn't. 

You really do not know the definition of false flag? You are a teacher right? False flag does not mean it didnt happen Chief!

49 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

C. USED by libnuts to influence gun control.........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Biff, I know the definition of it. Was Sandy Hook a false flag? if so, why do you think that? 

I do not think it was a false flag but this government has done plenty enough dumb crap in the past to warrant people thinking that