Denison Vs. Marshall  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Denison in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Denison in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

On 11/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, Lion7000 said:

As a Mav fan you aren’t taking anyone lightly or for granted, but you gotta feel optimistic for a chance. 

I think Mount Pleasant showed us we cannot overlook anyone.  That loss still befuddles me.  How we performed in that game was TOTAL opposite of what we saw Vs. Pine Tree, Hallsville, Nac, and Whitehouse.  Even Tyler....though it was a loss.

We looked terrible Vs. Longview, Carthage, and Texas High.....but considering they are a combined (28-2).....  meh.

I'm expecting a really tough game Vs. Denison.

On 11/4/2023 at 1:40 AM, Mavchamp said:

Talk about an unexpected match-up!

Headed into the final week of the regular season Marshall hosted Whitehouse in a game that could see Marshall finish as low as fifth in the district standings or as high as the #2 seed.

For them to be out of the playoffs....some strange things were going to have to happen.

Of course they did happen.

Not only did MP blow out Hallsville to keep their dim playoff hopes alive..... they needed Marshall to lose and PT to upset Texas High.

Well.... Pine Tree did just that.... they beat THS..... which put MP on the cusp of the #4 seed.

Marshall was down 28-24 late in their game Vs. Whitehouse.

Down to 2 seconds on the 2 yardline..... the Mavs took the victory in heart-stopping fashion.  Eliminating MP....and slipping into the #2 seed.

How huge was that win?  Besides playing at home for the playoffs.... they don't have to face previously unbeaten and #1 Melissa or #7 Lovejoy in the first round on the road.

Denison will come to town.  A Denison team that's very talented and very dangerous.

Marshall's record won't win any beauty contests at (5-5).  But three of their losses came from teams that were ranked in the top 5 of their classes.   

Loss to #2 Longview- 5A Div I
Loss to #1 Carthage- 4A Div II
Loss to #4 Texas High- 5A Div II

Don't expect any tears from Denison.  They had a murderer's row of their own.....

Loss to Frisco Reedy (9-1)
Loss to Lovejoy (9-1)
Loss to Melissa (9-1)

-------------------------------------

I'll get all the good stuff posted in the next day or two.

Stats, previews, history

Marshall played Denison in 2009 4A Div I Region II semifinals at Hanby Stadium in Mesquite.  A game Marshall lead by 17 points at one point and saw it slip away at the hands of great Denison running back DJ Jones (RIP).

Does anyone know if the game will be televised like on you tube? I know we have talked about it but there are some if us jacket fans that have to work fir a living and can't make that 174 drive down to Marshall lol. We have YJ TV on YouTube but that is only for home games

10 minutes ago, Jackets02 said:

Does anyone know if the game will be televised like on you tube? I know we have talked about it but there are some if us jacket fans that have to work fir a living and can't make that 174 drive down to Marshall lol. We have YJ TV on YouTube but that is only for home games

One of the local radio stations does a live video broadcast

KMHT.

They will stream it live on Facebook if you find the KMHT page.

But here is a direct link for the stream:

https://c.streamhoster.com/embed/media/WasBNW/OkdiSASLs2B/r/kmht

All playoff games are pay-per-view due to UIL regulations.  You will have to get a subscription to NFHS network.  You can stream audio only for free though.  The subscription is worth it to me though if you can't make the game.  It gives you access to pretty much every playoff game in the state and you can go back and watch older ones too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I think Mount Pleasant showed us we cannot overlook anyone.  That loss still befuddles me.  How we performed in that game was TOTAL opposite of what we saw Vs. Pine Tree, Hallsville, Nac, and Whitehouse.  Even Tyler....though it was a loss.

We looked terrible Vs. Longview, Carthage, and Texas High.....but considering they are a combined (28-2).....  meh.

I'm expecting a really tough game Vs. Denison.

There are just some of those teams out there that are traditional powerhouses like Longview, Carthage, Melissa and Lovejoy although Lovejoy and Melissa doesn't have the same success as Longview and Carthage. What's amazing is watching these teams around here like Melissa, Celina, Anna that were all small schools not long ago but continue to prevail even in larger classifications. Denison has somehow managed to dodge Celina to date. Talk about a dynasty of football over a few classifications! Gunter is another one that could hang with Denison or Marshall easily! I look for Denison to be in a district with gunter and Anna soon as next realignment possible but definitely the one after that. Melissa and Celina will more than likely go to 6A soon. Probably Melissa 1st and Celina on realignment after that. I read an article that Celina will top out at 340000 people? It's only a matter of time before that will be a multi school town.

15 hours ago, Jackets02 said:

KMHT FM IN MARSHALL. According to the ISD, The game will be live streamed . Livestream Shortcut will be on the Station’s website. 

1 hour ago, Jackets02 said:

I look for Denison to be in a district with gunter and Anna soon as next realignment possible but definitely the one after that.

Gunter has 363 kids.

Denison has 1,372 kids.

Gunter doesn't even have that many kids in their entire school district.

If Anna and Denison aren't in a district this cycle, because they get sent opposite directions, they may never be. Anna is at almost 1500 and is on the way to 5A Division I next time, with a chance Denison drops next time (I don't think they will this time.

1 hour ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

Gunter has 363 kids.

Denison has 1,372 kids.

Gunter doesn't even have that many kids in their entire school district.

If Anna and Denison aren't in a district this cycle, because they get sent opposite directions, they may never be. Anna is at almost 1500 and is on the way to 5A Division I next time, with a chance Denison drops next time (I don't think they will this time.

True may be jumping the gun on gunter by 1 or 2 realignment.  That number of kids at Gunter is the Last reported number in which is not an accurate number today. It will definitely not be an accurate number in 2 years. Gunter is in the Celina area and we see what's going on there. 

Just now, Jackets02 said:

True may be jumping the gun on gunter by 1 or 2 realignment.  That number of kids at Gunter is the Last reported number in which is not an accurate number today. It will definitely not be an accurate number in 2 years. Gunter is in the Celina area and we see what's going on there. 

And it's doubtful Denison will drop and may not drop next realignment lol. It's not like these towns are shrinking!

9 minutes ago, Jackets02 said:

The number at Gunter (and Denison is literally from 12 days ago. They didn't add 150 kids in two weeks.   Gunter added nine kids from two years ago, there isn't a huge jump coming -- they have basically the same numbers at the junior high level. The elementary school has 404 kids in it. 

9 minutes ago, Jackets02 said:

And it's doubtful Denison will drop and may not drop next realignment lol. It's not like these towns are shrinking!

If Denison drops, it has nothing to do with it shrinking, it has to do with everyone else growing so rapidly. The 4A number has to come up to reflect that and Denison is getting pushed towards that number to where it will drop them despite whatever they add. Denison added 45 kids this time. Anna leapfrogged them this time because they added 500, much like Melissa did last time. 

10 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

If Denison drops, it has nothing to do with it shrinking, it has to do with everyone else growing so rapidly. The 4A number has to come up to reflect that and Denison is getting pushed towards that number to where it will drop them despite whatever they add. Denison added 45 kids this time. Anna leapfrogged them this time because they added 500, much like Melissa did last time. 

Lol leapfrog. Yep that is exactly what gunter and Van Alystine are about to do next time. Let's quit talking in the instant. I never said anything about right now in the moment. I said those numbers will not be accurate when the next realignment comes. It sure won't be accurate in the one after that. Maybe I was wrong on those numbers 12 days ago. 

1 minute ago, Jackets02 said:

Lol leapfrog. Yep that is exactly what gunter and Van Alystine are about to do next time. Let's quit talking in the instant. I never said anything about right now in the moment. I said those numbers will not be accurate when the next realignment comes. It sure won't be accurate in the one after that. Maybe I was wrong on those numbers 12 days ago. 

Also if that's the case with increasingly rapid uil #s  vs so called population there will be SEVERAL schools drop down to 4A!

21 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

The number at Gunter (and Denison is literally from 12 days ago. They didn't add 150 kids in two weeks.   Gunter added nine kids from two years ago, there isn't a huge jump coming -- they have basically the same numbers at the junior high level. The elementary school has 404 kids in it. 

Isn't a huge jump coming? Ok we will talk next year or 2. 

I keep looking for some stats on Denison....can't find any.

MARSHALL

Passing
QB Collier Slone is 96-199 for 1,287 yards with 11 TDs and 5 INTs

Rushing
RB Semaj Gatson (Jr) has 663 yards on 106 carries with 8 TDs.  He also has 79 yards receiving.
RB Landon Jones (Soph) has 450 yards on 97 carries with 8TDs.  He has 146 yards receiving.
RB Isaiah Bush (Jr) has 421 yards on 66 carries with 2 TDs.  He has 69 yards recieving.
RB's Alton Henderson (So) and Diego Smith (Jr) each have 150 yards a piece rushing
Marshall has used 8 different ball carriers this season

Receiving
WR Sawyer Whaley (Sr) has 393 yards on 22 catches with 3TDs
WR Raijon Simms (Jr) has 305 yards on 19 catches with 3TDs
WR DK Shaw has 132 yards on 11 catches for 3 TD's 
Marshall has had 9 different players receive catches this season.

Passing Yards: 1,287
Rushing yards: 1,895

I think what astonishes me more than anything looking at those stats.....

Those numbers are a little gaudy when you consider our offense was a complete no-show in basically three football games.....four if your honest.

We managed only 7 points in each game Vs. Longview, Vs. Mount Pleasant, and Vs. Texas High.  Really didn't have much offensive output at all in any of those games.

Toss in Carthage...and we only had 13 points and most of our offensive numbers came in the second half after the Bulldogs had the game in hand.

That means....most of our offensive output came in 6 games..... we were (5-1) in those games... and that one loss was a 1 point 5OT loss to Tyler.

ALL that to say this.......

When our offense has been good....they have been very good....almost (6-0) good.

But when our offense has been bad....they have been really bad... (0-4) bad being out scored 266-34 in those 4 games.

47 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I keep looking for some stats on Denison....can't find any.

MARSHALL

Passing
QB Collier Slone is 96-199 for 1,287 yards with 11 TDs and 5 INTs

Rushing
RB Semaj Gatson (Jr) has 663 yards on 106 carries with 8 TDs.  He also has 79 yards receiving.
RB Landon Jones (Soph) has 450 yards on 97 carries with 8TDs.  He has 146 yards receiving.
RB Isaiah Bush (Jr) has 421 yards on 66 carries with 2 TDs.  He has 69 yards recieving.
RB's Alton Henderson (So) and Diego Smith (Jr) each have 150 yards a piece rushing
Marshall has used 8 different ball carriers this season

Receiving
WR Sawyer Whaley (Sr) has 393 yards on 22 catches with 3TDs
WR Raijon Simms (Jr) has 305 yards on 19 catches with 3TDs
WR DK Shaw has 132 yards on 11 catches for 3 TD's 
Marshall has had 9 different players receive catches this season.

Passing Yards: 1,287
Rushing yards: 1,895

I look for them too on maxpreps which seems to be innacurate

• Mavchamp changed the title to 5A Division II Region II Bi-District: tDenison Vs. Marshall