Girls basketball in East Texas

BigRedFan

I can't remember the year, but Longview's state championship team several years ago would have to rank as the best. I know Winnsboro has had some great teams. I think this year's L-E team is the best it has had, yes better than those Aarica Ray and Jamila Ganter played for. This team is deeper. Unfortunately, they'll have trouble getting past second round because Kennedale is awesome this year.

the longview girls team from mid 80's led by angela lawson.....that team had some.............that team was loaded.......angela went on to be an all-american at la tech and win a national championship.....i believe they were ranked high in the national polls

Originally posted by rosenblatt3

The Winnsboro teams with Stacey Stephens were unbelievable, but I'd have to go with either Duncanville a few years back or the Mansfield team that won 3 or 4 straight.

were talking east texas not metroplex

Originally posted by CAPTTIGER

the longview girls team from mid 80's led by angela lawson.....that team had some.............that team was loaded.......angela went on to be an all-american at la tech and win a national championship.....i believe they were ranked high in the national polls

This team gets my vote also.

Longview's back to back teams of 1983 & 84 finished 77-1 with the only loss being

a one point loss to Houston Yates finishing 38-1 and ranked #3 in the USA TODAY

NATIONAL POLL. The 84 team went 39-0 and was named the National Runnerup.

Both teams led the country in scoring offense at over 80 points per game.

Shelia Daughtrey's North Lamar Pantherettes had 17 consecutive playoff seasons...and I believe won 10 district titles in that run...the pre-season games against Winnsboro were always worth the price of admission as the Hawkin's led Lady Raiders were most impressive...two awesome teams!

BTW, Shelia went on to be enshrined in the TAMU-C Coaches Hall of Fame with over 400 wins in her career...20+ win seasons were the norm for her!!! Not bad for a Canada native!

The Longview girls team from mid 80's led by angela lawson.....that team had some.............that team was loaded.......angela went on to be an all-american at la tech and win a national championship.....i believe they were ranked high in the national polls

The 83-84 Lady Lobo team was the best high school girls team I and many have ever seen--39-0. Four of the 5 starters(Lawson,Crooks, Brooks,Jimmerson) were all Division 1 signees in college. From 1980 until 1989, the Lady Lobos were 289-30. They were the winningest program in Girls B-Ball; in the nation.

Originally posted by luv-sports

The Longview girls team from mid 80's led by angela lawson.....that team had some.............that team was loaded.......angela went on to be an all-american at la tech and win a national championship.....i believe they were ranked high in the national polls

The 83-84 Lady Lobo team was the best high school girls team I and many have ever seen--39-0. Four of the 5 starters(Lawson,Crooks, Brooks,Jimmerson) were all Division 1 signees in college. From 1980 until 1989, the Lady Lobos were 289-30. They were the winningest program in Girls B-Ball; in the nation.

I also saw quite a few games of the 83-84 Lady Lobos. They were very impressive. They were also ahead of their time. It is the only time I have been to the state tournament. The state final game was never close. It was an amazing group of girls that played so well together as a team.