Week Three - West Sabine @ Elysian Fields

SteelJacket

Sounds like you all should coach. Good lord. Is there a more demanding fan base in East Texas than EF? I am not a fan of Ford's but I believe that he is a very qualified coach and has a good clue as to what offense is supposed to be. Look as long as he goes and has his morning coffee at the administration building and tell the supt. what a great basketball coach he once was and strokes the supt's fishing buddies ego he will be fine. The three before him didn't do that. You have to play the game to survive there.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you all should coach. Good lord. Is there a more demanding fan base in East Texas than EF? I am not a fan of Ford's but I believe that he is a very qualified coach and has a good clue as to what offense is supposed to be. Look as long as he goes and has his morning coffee at the administration building and tell the supt. what a great basketball coach he once was and strokes the supt's fishing buddies ego he will be fine. The three before him didn't do that. You have to play the game to survive there.

Im giving an opinion on our offense being too vanilla. Nothing more, nothing less You dont like it then dont read it. I have had this coaches back from day one and been an avid supporter but the film dont lie. Go watch the waskom vs ef from 2012 all kinds of different sets, motions etc. The stats dont lie. The receivers had 10 games last year and 2 games this year to prove themselves. The stats dont lie there either. Dylan Parker is your number one reciever PERIOD. 6'2", can run, can CATCH, and can jump ( dunking a basketball as a freshman) !!! Maybe i am just a stupid fan but even RAY CHARLES can see that its UNACCEPTABLE to play a team like Jefferson in a close game and never even attempt to throw him the ball. You put him in motion, change sides of the field, i dont care if he has to do 3 backflips and a cart wheel to get open but he is your first option on EVERY passing play. The Benefield kid has not dropped a single pass in any scrimmge or game this season- he is your second option. Period. Thats my opinion. I have the right to tell you what i think but you dot have to listen to it. Micheal Irving, randy moss or jerry rice was NOT the 4th option they were the first option. Parker may jot be jerry, micheal or randy but he is the best on our team and thats not an opinion because the FILM DONT LIE.

Im giving an opinion on our offense being too vanilla. Nothing more, nothing less You dont like it then dont read it. I have had this coaches back from day one and been an avid supporter but the film dont lie. Go watch the waskom vs ef from 2012 all kinds of different sets, motions etc. The stats dont lie. The receivers had 10 games last year and 2 games this year to prove themselves. The stats dont lie there either. Dylan Parker is your number one reciever PERIOD. 6'2", can run, can CATCH, and can jump ( dunking a basketball as a freshman) !!! Maybe i am just a stupid fan but even RAY CHARLES can see that its UNACCEPTABLE to play a team like Jefferson in a close game and never even attempt to throw him the ball. You put him in motion, change sides of the field, i dont care if he has to do 3 backflips and a cart wheel to get open but he is your first option on EVERY passing play. The Benefield kid has not dropped a single pass in any scrimmge or game this season- he is your second option. Period. Thats my opinion. I have the right to tell you what i think but you dot have to listen to it. Micheal Irving, randy moss or jerry rice was NOT the 4th option they were the first option. Parker may jot be jerry, micheal or randy but he is the best on our team and thats not an opinion because the FILM DONT LIE.

+1000

This is another question. Why put coaches in the pressbox with no headphones/ radio to be able to communicate to the sidelines?? We have a quarterback coach/ offense coordinator with no way to talk to the sidelines. Why aint that coach suggesting plays, inbetween series having a talk with the QB or the head coach. Qb coach to qb--Hey #11 this is what they changed too. They are doing this and this. So when you go back out throw this route on blank play ??? The head coach has alot of stuff going on during the game. Arguing with refs, coaching kids, studying what the defense is doing, and on and on and on. Then at the end of all that- he has 25-40 seconds to pick a play and get it in. Put on some headphones and discuss things with the pressbox. Just ideas. We are close as a team but to get over that hump we need to tweek some stuff.

Don't forget that the QB has a lot to do with where the ball is thrown. I know with our team one of the QB's jobs is to read the defense before the snap and look for the best target based on what the defense shows. Secondly, I know some VERY good football schools with AWESOME winning traditions that run extremely "vanilla" offenses very successfully. Thier philosophy is perfect execution of a simplistic playbook is better than poor execution of a complicated system. Just a thought.

Of course it had nothing to do with Jeffersons defense being in the backfield with your QB all night..........you must be a frustrated dad.

Of course it had nothing to do with Jeffersons defense being in the backfield with your QB all night..........you must be a frustrated dad.

I think that's part of the frustration, and no I don't have a player this year, but many of the comments this year are the same as last year, just different dads, lol! You have a 5 person line, and one back in the backfield, if the defense is rushing 4-5 the line is offically tied up leaving the one back to catch stragglers breaking through. If they are blitzing at all, you don't have blockers to cover. I know this offense leaves one defender for the QB to read, but if its coming at his backside he may be in trouble. My son played left tackle last year, as a senior, in the same offense, he was 2nd team all state his junior year and all district the three years he started for EF. He could handle 1 rusher 98% of the time, 2 rushers ocasionally, but he could never handle 3 coming from the outside. If you had another back, that would give your running game more options, a receiver out of the backfield, and an additional blocker if needed. Got nothing but respect for the coach, but I can see where some different formations ocasionally would at least make it a little tougher for the defense and give the offense many more options. He's still got a young team and maybe he has plans to open it up during the district race after they have a little more time playing in the system. This discussion can go on forever, cause there's always other viewpoints... shoulda, coulda, woulda, lol! But ultimately the coach is going to do what he thinks is best for the team, and I can definately see improvements from last year in the way their doing football business. Good Luck Jackets! Love the new tunnel btw!

Since you asked, each coach in their first season:

Benny Mitchell 8-2

Chad Morris 12-4

Scott Tyner 9-3

Phil Castles 8-4

Ted Patton 9-4

Jack Parker 6-4

Eric King 4-6

Scott Ford 3-7

so there you have it, six of the eiight previous coaches took less than two years to get their program going. so to speak.

Sometimes it's about the Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os.

Sometimes it's about the Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os.

You are absolutely correct if X's and O's puts the ball in the right Jimmies hand. I am just saying if joe proves he cant catch then why do you not throw it to jimmie. We can put joe to work in the offense but maybe joe needs to go in motion and lead block sometimes. Now i like jimmie and joe and coach Foe but sometimes we need to give joe a blow and bring in moe and let him play with his bros. Does that make sense?? Haha

You are absolutely correct if X's and O's puts the ball in the right Jimmies hand. I am just saying if joe proves he cant catch then why do you not throw it to jimmie. We can put joe to work in the offense but maybe joe needs to go in motion and lead block sometimes. Now i like jimmie and joe and coach Foe but sometimes we need to give joe a blow and bring in moe and let him play with his bros. Does that make sense?? Haha

I got it, but I can read that internet deal where all the letters are backwards and stuff, lol! Go Jackets!!!

Well see that's the problem he isn't doing any of that sit in the sups office drinking coffee kind of stuff.. If you will read previous post of how all of these want to be coaches who sit in the stands have warned him of this team, and think he should play this player here and that player there, and question why coaches in the press box don't have head sets to communicate it becomes more then obvious that EF doesn't need a person who has been coaching this game for years we need a bunch of want to be coaches because hell they have all the answers. It burns my ### because steeljacket when you speak at pep rallies half of the kids tune you out because they have read some of your deragotory post about the coach they respect. Yes, you might do a lot of things being a part of the athletic boosters or the president of it but you fail to realize how many kids read post, and you all fail to realize how many coaches read these post... Sadly I am a female, I may not can quote stats or don't have the desire to google this and that but what I can say is outside of rock and yj89 most of you other EF posters contradict yourselves from one week to the next... get on facebook and yall are singing a different tune like "hey turn the zebra's in for the bad call made in the jefferson game" but on smoaky its "haha ef dont have patience when it comes to coaches". I honestly don't understand why EF pays a coach seems we have plenty that would coach for free... You all make EF look like a joke because of all the guys who post from tatum, Hughes Springs, Arp, Waskom, CC, etc., EF is the only team who has people with the audacity to disrespect their kids coach on social media!!!!

Don't forget that the QB has a lot to do with where the ball is thrown. I know with our team one of the QB's jobs is to read the defense before the snap and look for the best target based on what the defense shows. Secondly, I know some VERY good football schools with AWESOME winning traditions that run extremely "vanilla" offenses very successfully. Thier philosophy is perfect execution of a simplistic playbook is better than poor execution of a complicated system. Just a thought.

Or maybe the coach has a bigger picture in mind by teaching the QB to be able to execute with a very "vanilla" offense.. That bigger picture being more of those types of letters that OSU has been sending the QB who is only a sophomore... Just another thought to add to ATLFalcons first thought

I think he will get this year and if things don't turn around then EF may be looking. Not a whole lot of patence with coaches in EF. Specially when they have the athletes to compete.

You do realize all the kids and parents know who you are? Before you say something along the lines of, I am not hiding, etc, think about this. All the kids just tune you out when you come around, they all know what you write about on here and talk about their coach that they have bought in and support. It is sad when a fine young man has to apologize to his teammates for things his dad post on this site. The kids should not have to shake their heads when the leader of the booster club comes around. As parents of players, we should do nothing but support out kids and their coach that they have bought in with. It makes it twice as hard for them to buy in when they hear and read the negative stuff their parents say about their coaches. Talking about looking for a coach after a year and 2 games( when your post was made) is just baffling. What is really mind blowing, is you get on here and try to talk football strategy like you know football. I know I do not and leave it to the coaches that do, but you and about 3 other parents think that since you see the film on your kids hudl acct, you know what is going on. Just because you can see Chinese on paper, does not mean you can read it. I could go on and on, but maybe you might get it. I know it gets old hearing my kid and other kids say, did you see what Mr. so and so wrote on Smoaky. If I had gone through what you have in the past 18 months, the last thing I would be doing would be on here throwing stones about coaches. I would be thankful I had another day and nobody could get a negative word in my mind. Just a thought, my friend.

You need to read the above post also, it applys.

You need to read the above post also, it applys.

Maybe the above statement does apply but i stand by what i said because Friday night Dylan had probably 200-250 yards receiving and 3 touchdowns. i will stand by my statement-- It is unacceptable to not attempt to get that kid in the game (every game) and get him some catches. If you was at the game Friday night then you should have been thinking- We need to throw number 10 the ball more often because this kid is good. Friday nights performance by him did not do anything to make me think im wrong.

Same should be said for Benefield because he has proved himself in 2 games and 2 scrimmages to be a gamer.

I might be a jer-k for saying it on here- For that "i apologize" but the content of what i said I will stand by it.

Elysian Fields will never change. Very sad that coaches have to go thru all that they do. Support is key where ever u go and it seems like in my opinion that if a coach there isn't a politician 100 percent of the time he will not last. Got to make this kids dad happy by listening to this and that, this kids dad thinks he is a fullback not a center, etc. Until EF fixes this they will not have a good coach for very long.