suggestion for Smoaky

AugustusMcCray

I can show the coach how to start his own forum just for coaches. Probably would be a hit!

I think I understand. Being an official i do have a site where only we can go and its nice to be open to discuss the topics that outsiders might not understand or try to turn into a look what he said about ......... I also understand why he asked here. this is a popular site that coaches already come to so the targeted group is already here. there was a site for coaches that closed down (the old coach. com) that i was a member of( a few outsiders were members but mostly it was a coaches only place) and i too miss it and now the coaches are looking for a new place.

Strawberry did create a great site that is very good and is growing in popularity .. I think that is your best option.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bear_Den

Maybe he means create a section on SDC that prompts you to enter a special password when you attempt to access it. That would be a lot easier to do even if this idea was considered.

Outlaw how did yall come out at regionals? anyone going to state?

I don't understand why u object to coaches having a spot to talk--is it b/c u won't be able to see what we say--thats a little nosey.

and camuchs---u are kinda helping me make my point---people hide behind screen names and bash coaches/schools/school boards etc... so don't hide behind a screen name and say something on a public forum that u wouldn't say to the coaches face.

why do yall object so much? I didn't say close down this site-just make another link. everyone can still get on this link but there could be another link just for coaches. whats the big deal?

Bleeds-ur gettin on my nerves. I'll pay ur gas bill if u wanna come by the school and talk to the kids--ask them if I care about them--#### i tell the kids all the time i love them. i do more for some of these kids than their parents do.

Bear Den-Boo jumped well--I had to leave before he finished--the meet got delayed b/c of the storm. I haven't heard about the relays but our 4x100 scratched out b/c all but 1 failed out. the 4x 200 is missing a few also and there is one gone from the 4x400. we had a good chance w/ a couple of the relays but grades wiped us out.

I hope Boo does well b/c I think Commerece is looking at him to run track. so hopefully he runs well--it would be a lot better if he had the other guys there to run w/ him.

I totally understand where Outlaw is coming from. I agree that for the coaches, a site that only they could enter would be a good thing for them.

However, for me, I like to get the ideals and comments of the coaches here in the regular threads. I fear that if the coaches had their own portion of this site, that they would not bother posting on any of the threads that are not coaches only. I don't want to just talk to fans and kids, I want to hear from coaches and officials, and get their take on whats going on. I want a good range of people that make comments on here.

Guest bleeds
Bleeds-ur gettin on my nerves. I'll pay ur gas bill if u wanna come by the school and talk to the kids--ask them if I care about them--#### i tell the kids all the time i love them. i do more for some of these kids than their parents do.

My my. Aren't we the sensitive one?

You asked for opinions on your idea. I don't think it's a good idea. That's my opinion. I may be wrong. The thing that sticks in my craw is your attitude towards parents and kids. Remember, you said it not me.

You may be the most compassionate coach in East Texas. If you do for your kids what you say you do, you're to be commended. But your comment indicates, at least to me and to a degree, that you have a level of disdain for the input from kids and parents. I have to assume you would feel the same way as I do if someone came on and said they wanted a forum where they didn't have to put up with all the #### from the coaches. See what I mean?

Maybe it was a bad choice of words on your part. No big deal. We all do that ocassionally. I honestly didn't intend to upset you or anyone else. As I said, those were just my thoughts.

Peace.

I don't understand why u object to coaches having a spot to talk--is it b/c u won't be able to see what we say--thats a little nosey.

and camuchs---u are kinda helping me make my point---people hide behind screen names and bash coaches/schools/school boards etc... so don't hide behind a screen name and say something on a public forum that u wouldn't say to the coaches face.

why do yall object so much? I didn't say close down this site-just make another link. everyone can still get on this link but there could be another link just for coaches. whats the big deal?

On which part am I helping out your point - the hypocrisy?

I can only speak for myself, but I have not "bashed" anyone, any school, or any school board or any etc. on here. (and if anyone thinks that I intended that in any of my posts, they would be mistaken) And there is certainly nothing that I have said on here that I wouldn't say to your face. You have got to get a little thicker skin. 'Cause I have not seen anything on here from parents that is "bashing" but I have seen some coaches comments that leave me wondering "what would his AD, principle, supt. or Board of Trustees (and the etc's too , of course) think if they read this?"

What gets on MY nerves, is that I keep hearing how parents(that are @ games) are always ragging on the coaches and the coaches don't like those kinds of parents, then I hear how the parents never come to any games, coaches don't like those kind of parents. Some of us parents come to every game, make sure our kid is at every practice, support the programs. and still I get the feeling like there may be some of coaches that will find fault with us too [from what I read on these boards.] Exactly what kind of parents (other than your own) do you like?

I don't object to the coaches having a place to go, especially if they are getting advice from other coaches about the sport (not the students). If you have a problem with a kid or a parent you should have the intrepidity to have a private meeting with those involved and discuss it. But I get the feeling that if there were such a place you wouldn't be so careful about not using the names of players with which you have parent problems. And I don't care what you say, some of these coaches will remember that - come time to vote for All-dist. In the past, the coaches at my kids school, sometimes have coaching clinics that they go to in the off-season(paid in part, by our boosters) ie. basketball clinics given by Pat Hall Summit, or B. Knight, and other legendary coaches. But with the coaching carousel spinning so fast, it's hard to put out that kind of money on a coach that you are not sure will be staying with your program. See, you ask for loyalty from us but you aren't will to give it back.

As a matter of fact, I've been saving all of my posts, and after I get permission from smoak and each of you that I will be quoting, I may just write a book. But I think I'll only sell it to other parents (this is a joke please told beat me up)

Guest YouBeSoCuteWhenBeMad

i say give it to 'em. in ET, if they finish third in a three team district and make the playoffs, they are gods.

many of them can't handle the fame with dignity. yep, i am painting with a broad brush.

Since the coaches want their own place have them get with some of their trash talking students that are in computer classes and have them setup their own website. I bet some of the students would love to have extra credit.

I bet when smoaky started thinking about this site he didn't go around whining to other sites let me have my own forum. The little bit I know about smoaky he took it on is own and did it himself or went to someone that could help him. (My opninion only).

TOC was no different than Smoaky. Any time a coach drafted a legitimate post about X's and O's, he would invariably get trashed by immaturity that is second to nothing on this site.

If ET coaches want a room of their own, great. But it shouldn't be restricted. What should be done is that Smoaky should allow the moderators to do their jobs--and if someone bashes a specific coach or breaks a rule--they should face the consequences. The success of any site is STRICTLY related to how well the forum is moderated. The mods on Smoaky do a pretty good job for the most part--but I think that they have felt handcuffed by some administrative decisions that have come down from the top. Image and marketing have taken priority over right and wrong.

Guest YouBeSoCuteWhenBeMad

why not let 'em post and allow us to read without comment?

oh, btw, it could be a revenue generater for SDC. Charge the

coaches a fee for the priviledge since the better ones in

smaller towns are getting awful close to six figures in salary,

not counting perks.

for relevancy, 100K can make you king in a small town.

no bleeds i'm not sensitive--but ur wrong--i didn't ask for your or any of these other peoples opinion--i asked for Smoaky's--his and his alone. and you guys do have a forum--THIS ONE!!

I don't want to start another site-i want to get on this one and talk w/ coaches-thats its-whats so bad about that?

I don't want a place to go and talk #### about kids or parents--i want to talk football, technique, strategy, share ideas, get info etc... and this is not meant to be rude but i don't want the opinion of an accountant, a bank pres, a machanic, a farmer etc...

what kind of parents do i like? the kind who take care of their kid-stay involved, support the entire program and support the coaches. if you have a problem-go talk to the coach-don't yell about it at a game, don't bring it up at the dinner table, don't tell ur son/daughter the coach is an idiot. just b/c u pay ur $3 to get in a game doesn't mean u can yell at the coach. I have a wife and a son--they sit in the stands and hear what the fans yell. i don't like that my son hears some of what he does. A good friend of mine had his wife and kids in the stands--his young daughter came up to his wife during the game and asked what a m-fer was-the mom was shocked and asked why--the girl said b/c that man keeps calling daddy that. i know i went on a rant there and that has nothing to do w/ this board but that stuff has spilled over onto these forums. recent example--Coach Feaster from Sabine--people have attacked him a lot on here the past year--i think he is a good guy. He tried to do a good job--SAbine didn't like how he went about it-fine he was let go-drop it-leave it alone--why talk bad about the man? What if his son/daughter, wife, mom, cousin etc... gets on and reads what is said about him. that stuff hurts-i'm sure he can take-just as i can take it--i have thick skin-i know "its all part of the territiory" but to do this stuff in public is wrong--there is nothing right about it.

anyways--this post has gone astray from where it began--i simply would like a place to talk w/ other coaches from this area--NOT ABOUT YOU OR YOUR KID, but about the game.

and bear den---Boo finished 7th. the 4x200 is in the finals, the 4x400 got edged out--but here is the kicker. the 4x100 would have went to state and the 4x200 would have won the region and went also. too bad some of the guys couldn't keep their grades up. could've been a good year for us.

Guest bleeds

Okay. Let's cool off for a minute.

When you post in a public forum, you open yourself and your comments up to the opinions of those who read your post. If you are not interested in those comments, maybe you should consider PM'ing or emailing David with your thoughts. Short of that, your comments are open to response from anyone who wishes to do so.

Have a nice day. :thumbsup:

ok outlaw... this is just what i gather from this thread.. and my OPINION.

sounds like either your too lazy to create your own forum, dont know how, or doesnt want to.

but that still doesnt mean somebody else has to do it. it might be a suggestion but it also might be alot of trouble to do.

AND, if the parents and kids get to you on here, then why continue to get on and post??

you continue to post because your still talking to other coaches.

to me, if you can't just pay no attention to what they say, then you dont have as thick of skin as you think. it might be irritating, but oh well, sometimes it just has to be dealt with.

im not saying coach's should or shouldn't have their own thread on here. i just think you should take some suggestions that have been posted on this thread.

Have a Great Day.

There's probably not a coach from T-ball to NCAA that hasn't been hammered by a parent at one time or another. I visit most of the football sites from smoaky, the old coach, coach huey, asn, texashsfootball, etc. I think for coaches, parents are a sore spot due to the abuse they have taken from a select few who handle their complaints wrong. We've all been in the stands and listened to the local idiot yell at the coaches and players or have seen parents, immediately following the game, chewing on the coach because Johnny didn't get enough playing time etc. It's the few bad apples that make the rest of us look bad in coaches eyes.

On the other hand....coaches....ya'll have too admit there are a few boneheads in your profession also.

I personaly don't see a problem w/ having a coaches corner on Smoaky.

oh there are some idiots that are coaches--i worked for one my 1st year coaching.

yoube... i can't respond. i really can't. words can't express......

jblady.. I DON'T WANT ANOTHER SITE!!! i want a coaches cornor here--on smoaky--i don't want a rival site. i have neither the time nor the know how to run a site nor do i want to compete w/ smoaky.

coaches are prima-donnas and thus be the slight. yew made it fix it.

the yew in this case is john and joan school board president.

to the coaches, if you can't take the heet git out of the kitchen before

you mislead any MORE young skulls full of mush.

now, there are good(good, lowercase) coaches that have been chosen

for the profession.

i dont even have words for what you just said.

and i can usually say somethin about ANYTHING.

:updown: thanks bleeds

like i said this took a turn-i don't dislike kids or parents--in fact i have a good relationship w/ most all the kids and parents, but guys like him are what ruin it for everyone--and the other side of the coin is guys like the coach i worked for my 1st year are why parents question coaches--b/c trust me-he was an idiot and he was hurting the kids and the program. and its sad b/c we had some talent and those kids that played for him for 2 years were cheated out of 2 years of their H.S. career.

Outlaw, I get what you are saying... and I agree with you. But, I think the solution is stricter moderation. When I joined SDC, the thing I noticed first was the great moderation. Things have grown since then and like someone mentioned the moderators have had their tokuses chewed and told to relax the moderation. I'm not a coach, but I still want to read about coaches talking football, strategy, technique, and sharing ideas. That's why I disagree with your idea. You guys teach us (parents) too.

This has been an interesting discussion. Personally I think anytime you can gain more knowledge even through a message board you are better equipped to do your job and that should benefit the kids. After all, thats what it is about. Good luck to you Outlaw in your quest and Bleeds you are always a good read. Thanks guys.