Pewitt 2013

brahmahater

Lets hear some opinions on how everyone thinks the bulls will do this coming year. I have been told they will be running some spread to take advantage of porters speed and athleticism. Going to be a big departure from what got them to the dance.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets hear some opinions on how everyone thinks the bulls will do this coming year. I have been told they will be running some spread to take advantage of porters speed and athleticism. Going to be a big departure from what got them to the dance.

So they are going to run the spread because they have one athlete? Have you ever seen a team run the spread without any athletes? Not pretty! I will believe that when I see it. Kumrow will run the same thing that's been run for years.

As a matter of fact there are lots of teams that do that every year.

Tell me who they are and exactly how successful they are. Might want to stick to three yards and a cloud of dust against teams that are more athletic than you are.

The spread takes a while to implement. It can be really ugly until the players get the hang of it.

If Pewitt wanted to change to a spread system they could make it work. They have athletes come through every year. But they would have to fully embrace it and results won't come immediately.

White Oak went from a similar offense to the spread and are having good results.

I wouldn't expect much changes from Pewitt and the offense other than what they run out of it with Porter. They have worked with different formations with him at QB at the lower levels with some success. I figure that is what you are hearing about. So it is nothing new to these boys just to those who haven't seen it. Porter is a different kind of QB than what Pewitt has had in a few years. He will be closer to Jarvis than McFarland but has a nicer touch on his passes. He does have an arm so we will throw more. Now it will matter who will catch those.

As for who is Porter? Porter is Isaiah Porter a to be Jr. He played Varsity this past year as the back that goes in motion and safety. He has played QB every year except this past one. He runs the Slot extremely well. It is hard to replace a multiple year starter but he will be fine. Getting his brother back on the field is more important. Pewitt also has a host of young backs that will be sophomores this coming year that we haven't seen in quite a few years. While none show out individually the group is very athletic.

I wouldn't expect much changes from Pewitt and the offense other than what they run out of it with Porter. They have worked with different formations with him at QB at the lower levels with some success. I figure that is what you are hearing about. So it is nothing new to these boys just to those who haven't seen it. Porter is a different kind of QB than what Pewitt has had in a few years. He will be closer to Jarvis than McFarland but has a nicer touch on his passes. He does have an arm so we will throw more. Now it will matter who will catch those.

As for who is Porter? Porter is Isaiah Porter a to be Jr. He played Varsity this past year as the back that goes in motion and safety. He has played QB every year except this past one. He runs the Slot extremely well. It is hard to replace a multiple year starter but he will be fine. Getting his brother back on the field is more important. Pewitt also has a host of young backs that will be sophomores this coming year that we haven't seen in quite a few years. While none show out individually the group is very athletic.

Ok cool im lookin foward to making the trip down there to pewitt this year you guys always are tough

Pewitt spread = Moving the tight ends out wide. Still 4 backs, still a Slot-T. Pewitt has had the athletes to go to a spread before and will have them again, but it takes time to implement a true spread, particularly coming from something this different. It's also not like we haven't had success with this, the Slot-T isn't going anywhere.

I feel pretty good about our backfield this year, between the Porters, Mackay, Ward, and all the other kids whose names I can't remember we oughta be able to find a workable group back there. Porter probably has the best arm we've seen in a while, but I don't know whose gonna be catching 'em even if Kumrow did let it loose. We've gotta make some major strides along the line though or it's gonna be a long season.

On defense, more of the same. Feel ok about the DBs and I expect the linebackers to make some good improvements, but we'll go as the line goes. Overall, I think we're gonna start resembling the Pewitt teams we're used to alot sooner this year. Nondistrict is brutal though, and that can take a toll on the kids psyche if they don't catch a couple wins. I'd say the threshold of success is probably another playoff birth, anything beyond that is gravy.

^Sorry about the length. I miss football.

Pewitt spread = Moving the tight ends out wide. Still 4 backs, still a Slot-T. Pewitt has had the athletes to go to a spread before and will have them again, but it takes time to implement a true spread, particularly coming from something this different. It's also not like we haven't had success with this, the Slot-T isn't going anywhere.

I feel pretty good about our backfield this year, between the Porters, Mackay, Ward, and all the other kids whose names I can't remember we oughta be able to find a workable group back there. Porter probably has the best arm we've seen in a while, but I don't know whose gonna be catching 'em even if Kumrow did let it loose. We've gotta make some major strides along the line though or it's gonna be a long season.

On defense, more of the same. Feel ok about the DBs and I expect the linebackers to make some good improvements, but we'll go as the line goes. Overall, I think we're gonna start resembling the Pewitt teams we're used to alot sooner this year. Nondistrict is brutal though, and that can take a toll on the kids psyche if they don't catch a couple wins. I'd say the threshold of success is probably another playoff birth, anything beyond that is gravy.

I look forward to seeing those young Brahmas on the field. Are you guys bringing back the big fullback?

Do you know what starters are returning?

I look forward to seeing those young Brahmas on the field. Are you guys bringing back the big fullback?

Not sure who you mean. Mackay probably got the most reps at fullback last season and he'll be a senior this year. He's not a real big kid though

We will have a few options to catch the ball. Ward, Johnston, Cox, Porter, as well as the group of sophomores. Line play will be crucial. I'm biased since this is my son's group of kids, when it comes to the line. I think this group of linemen will surprise a few.