MTV and R&R HOF are still morons

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,211 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

According to those humans of high musical integrity over at MTV, LL Cool J ermm.gif was “snubbed” by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame:

http://newsroom.mtv....e-neil-diamond/

Huh? Snubbed? Why was he even considered?

That’s right: nothing says “Rock & Roll” like LL Cool J getlost.gif

At least the R&R HOF finally got it right with Alice Cooper, but don’t talk to me about “snubs”:

Cheap Trick
Rush
Deep Purple
Thin Lizzy
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
KISS

#2 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Dec 21 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least the R&R HOF finally got it right with Alice Cooper, but don’t talk to me about “snubs”:

Cheap Trick
Rush
Deep Purple
Thin Lizzy
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
KISS

Are you really considering Cheap Trick a R&R HofF inductee material?.....lol I mean I can see the others.
Why Rush should get in on their sheer masculine vocals! That'll probably get me banned!...lol

#3 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,211 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

Cheap Trick should be a slam dunk ... I know, I know ... casual fans will base their whole career on their biggest hit: the inexcusable "The Flame" ... which is completely unfair. Their body of work, influence & longevity on a high level of musicianship make them more than "worthy".

#4 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Dec 21 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheap Trick should be a slam dunk ... I know, I know ... casual fans will base their whole career on their biggest hit: the inexcusable "The Flame" ... which is completely unfair. Their body of work, influence & longevity on a high level of musicianship make them more than "worthy".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "The Flame" is their best song! Didn't it sale more than any of their others?

HEHE....I should dismiss myself from this argument before my YOUTH gives way to my ignorance....lol

#5 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:"edibles" and "herbs"

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

The R&R HOF should know that music is like candy....you throw away the [w]rappers!....

... people just really don't realize the depth of talent in the musicians from CheapTrick.

#6 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (camuchs @ Dec 21 2010, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The R&R HOF should know that music is like candy....you throw away the [w]rappers!....

... people just really don't realize the depth of talent in the musicians from CheapTrick.

No they are really good. I just like ribbing him about it.

#7 mellon

mellon

Elen síla lumenn’omentielvo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

nowhearthis.gif LL Cool J got snubbed....Give me a break. Start a rap HOF and put all them suckers in there.
With that being said there is no logical reason why Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Spread your arms and hold your breath and
Always trust your cape.....Guy Clark

Old Charlie stole the handle..

#8 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:58 AM

Never understood Tom Waits. I dont think Tom Waits even understands Tom Waits. Who is Darlene Love? Dr. John? He did " Cover of the Rolling Stone" right, maybe? LL Cool J has no business in the R&R HOF. That would be like putting Brett Favre in the baseball HOF because he threw a ball.

#9 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:42 AM

No that's Dr. Hook you're thinking of - Dr. John did "driving in the right place - must have been the wrong time"

Tom Waits is a legend in the music world. I'm surprised he wasn't already in - since their peers are the voters.

#10 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,574 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

There are so many bands from the 70's that are overlooked. Alice should have been in years ago, while his influence has brought about some horrible bands he has to get a nod. I'll even agree with Neil Diamond. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he did write some great songs. I think many of the 70's bands are going to be done with, and their window has passed.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#11 coltsboy

coltsboy

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Cheapy I had a thought. Let's start a real music hall of fame. And let's stick with it. We won't add people who don't adhere to our standards. It sickens me that LL Cool J would even be mentioned. I assume he is a good rapper, but a rocker he is not. To induct him is to slap John Lennon, Elvis Presley, and all the other truly great ones across the face.
CHUCKSTRONG

#12 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (coltsboy @ Dec 22 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheapy I had a thought. Let's start a real music hall of fame. And let's stick with it. We won't add people who don't adhere to our standards. It sickens me that LL Cool J would even be mentioned. I assume he is a good rapper, but a rocker he is not. To induct him is to slap John Lennon, Elvis Presley, and all the other truly great ones across the face.

With such an eclectic taste in music, I would hate to see Cheapy's stringents.......hehe
Basically, anyone popular wouldn't get in....lol

#13 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

In the spirit of Christmas I'm gonna lay off the R&RHOF - as for MTV ---No Comment.

We are overlooking one very important 2011 Inductee - as did the piece Cheapy posted.
Why hasn't this been morely widely publicized?

nowhearthis.gif ATTENTION SHOPPERS!!!!

2011 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

LEON RUSSELL woohoo.gif

It's about #### time!!!!!! happy65.gif

I'm still in shocked that Leon's induction was "snubbed" by Cheapy. rant.gif But Merry Christmas anyway!

#14 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

coltsboy -- I would be satisfied if they simply changed the name of the current R&R HOF to something else, because you are correct: a Hall Of Fame with Rock And Roll in its tile AND with an inductee such as Run-DMC ermm.gif (I still can't believe they are members) IS a slap in the face to Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.

...speaking of Leon Russell -- has anyone heard his latest LP with Elton John? I have only heard great things about it smile.gif

#15 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Well I'm biased. It's the only new release I purchased this year. All of the other music I bought this year was older stuff.

#16 DieHardCubFan

DieHardCubFan

Teaparty Candidate for Sheriff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Location:Don't cry Barry...2012 will be here sooner than you think &amp; you'll be back home in Chicago...or was that Kenya?!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (HighRollin8s @ Dec 21 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "The Flame" is their best song! Didn't it sale more than any of their others?

HEHE....I should dismiss myself from this argument before my YOUTH gives way to my ignorance....lol

Yep! Youth = Ignorance! (Had to get you on that Highrollin!)

QUOTE (mellon @ Dec 21 2010, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nowhearthis.gif LL Cool J got snubbed....Give me a break. Start a rap HOF and put all them suckers in there.
With that being said there is no logical reason why Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

There already is a Rap Music Hall of Fame - in fact, there is one in each of our 50 states! It is called the State Penitentary!

It's all fun and games...until the Flying Monkeys attack!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
-- President Gerald R. Ford, August 12th, 1974

#17 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,876 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (DieHardCubFan @ Dec 23 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There already is a Rap Music Hall of Fame - in fact, there is one in each of our 50 states! It is called the State Penitentary!

HAHA!! Thanks DieHard, that was a good laugh.

I have to agree with HighRollin though on CT.....they blow, and the Flame was their best song.

#18 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (DieHardCubFan @ Dec 23 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That comment was more in reflection of Cheapy's age....lol

And I think RunDMC is only considered for Walk this Way because of the collaboration with Aerosmith. Which is a good song by the way. Oh and I'm 35 by the way......hehe

#19 DieHardCubFan

DieHardCubFan

Teaparty Candidate for Sheriff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Location:Don't cry Barry...2012 will be here sooner than you think &amp; you'll be back home in Chicago...or was that Kenya?!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (HighRollin8s @ Dec 23 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That comment was more in reflection of Cheapy's age....lol

And I think RunDMC is only considered for Walk this Way because of the collaboration with Aerosmith. Which is a good song by the way. Oh and I'm 35 by the way......hehe

Still alot younger than me Highrollin! LOL

Of course, Cheapy is a CT homer so i cna see him wanting them in...however, there is absolutely no reason why Rush & KISS are not in the HOF - except for the fact that the MT/HOF people are high on crack and wouldn't know good rock & roll if Gene Simmons went up to them & bit there heads off!
It's all fun and games...until the Flying Monkeys attack!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
-- President Gerald R. Ford, August 12th, 1974

#20 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (DieHardCubFan @ Dec 23 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still alot younger than me Highrollin! LOL

Maybe so, but I'm willing to bet I've lived the life of an old man in my short time. Health wise.
Honestly though, I don't even know who all is in the R&R Hall of fame. I don't really care either. Good music to me, is good music, if it's country, rock and roll, or whatever! Louis Armstrong is one of the greatest and he's Jazz. Music is one of the great creations of humans that know's no prejudice. If it's good, it's just good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users