Why do Officials think they have to be the main attraction

astro321

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched three great games this weekend at the Class A region 3 tournament at TJC, and in all 3 games their was one official in each game that thought we all payed our money to see him call a game.Come on guys this is not about you, it is about all the young man that play their hearts out for a chance to get to Austin. In the 3 games I watched, Tenaha-Cayuga, Grapeland-Clarksville and Tenaha-Clarksville there were calls in each of these games that could have changed the outcome. The one official in the Tenaha-Clarksville game probably made 70% of the foul calls, come on man this is the Regional finals, let them play. The UIL needs to look at who they send to the regional tournaments. We get better officials during the regular season then we got this weekend and you all know being Class A you don't get the cream of the crop during regular season games. I am not saying that the officials beat us tonite but when a team shoots 44 free throws and we shoot only 14 something ain't right. Congratulations to Clarksville on the win and good luck in Austin

Saw the whole tournament as well. Spoke to UIL evaluators today. The crew that worked the Tenaha - Cayuga game graded out at a 96. In other words, they got an A. The Roxton - Dodd City crew also got an A. Do not have the grades for the other games but know they did not grade out very well. The Tenaha - Clarksville game had some game management issues that should have been attended to and weren't which is what hurt that crew. The inconsistency also hurt that crew. The highest grades given were for the Tenaha - Cayuga game, the Douglas - Dodd City game and the Roxton - Dodd City game. I went down to Nacogdoches to watch the Region 3 Class 2A final and I can promise you, I thought the officiating in Tyler was better.

It is very easy to holler at the officials about "letting them play" and then the first time the officials do that, then the same people are hollering "get em off" or "they are over their back". In a close game that is hotly contested on both ends of the floor, it becomes an advantage / disadvantage game and is extremely difficult to officiate for the main reason that we want the kids to decide the game, but making sure that everything stays consistent on both ends of the floor. NOBODY will be happy with the officiating especially when they are on the losing side of the scoreboard. Been that way for years. That is why the officials who work these games go to camps each year.....to improve their skills and provide the best service to the schools that they can. Hats off to the refs in all sports!

Longhorn Fan you were one of the officials that called the Tenaha-Cayuga game and the Roxton-Dodd City game. Who was the UIL evalutors someone from your chapter. It's funny that the only two grades you got was the games you and the Kaufman Chapter called. I don't know how they grade the officials but they need glasses also because I am not the only one that said that the officiating was horrible. You even over ruled one of your co-officials on a call. Of course you are going to say the officiating was better in Tyler then Nacogdoches because you was one of the officials. Remember it is not about you.

I saw games in Tyler and Nac and have to agree that the officiating was better in Tyler. My hats off to the officials that are willing to go out there and call games night in and night out. Like others have said the games are not for you. In fact the games are not for any of the adults involved. The games are for the kids. The goal of the official needs to be keeping the game safe and fair. Not getting caught up in the crowd reactions, or letting coaches get your attention and talk to you every single time you are standing in his area. Just offer the coach your whistle and take his clip board if he won't leave you alone.

When I hear the cry "Let them play" - I never hear anyone say how they want them to play. What I have learned is perspective has a huge influence how we see the game.

Applies to more tham one sport, too, right?

Axioms:

The losing team usually complains more

Refs call it both ways,

one team just commits more fouls., not their fault.

Refs are human, and will make mistakes.

Nobody seems to get mad when the kids do, even if it's "ALL" about them.

Fans imply that the referees are cheating, by the calls of "call it fair, or both ways".

They don't have any money riding on it. That dog don't hunt.

"Let'em play" quickly turns into "foul", when it's your boy getting hammered.

Complaints about the quality usually come from people who have never officiated something.

Otherwise, there'd be a lot less griping, and more appreciation of how difficult it is to tune out the crowd, and do your job.

Despite what some may think, it AIN'T about the MONEY!

No way people do it unless they also have love of the game, and the kids in mind.

Granted, there are a certain 10% in every group that give it a bad name, but nobody is assigning them to you every game.

Most do a better job than you would, and probably behave better as a fan, too.

Dismount: Soapbox

Applies to more tham one sport, too, right?

Axioms:

The losing team usually complains more

Refs call it both ways,

one team just commits more fouls., not their fault.

Refs are human, and will make mistakes.

Nobody seems to get mad when the kids do, even if it's "ALL" about them.

Fans imply that the referees are cheating, by the calls of "call it fair, or both ways".

They don't have any money riding on it. That dog don't hunt.

"Let'em play" quickly turns into "foul", when it's your boy getting hammered.

Complaints about the quality usually come from people who have never officiated something.

Otherwise, there'd be a lot less griping, and more appreciation of how difficult it is to tune out the crowd, and do your job.

Despite what some may think, it AIN'T about the MONEY!

No way people do it unless they also have love of the game, and the kids in mind.

Granted, there are a certain 10% in every group that give it a bad name, but nobody is assigning them to you every game.

Most do a better job than you would, and probably behave better as a fan, too.

Dismount: Soapbox

WELL SAID!!!!!

If you will read my post I didn't say the officials beat us. I am saying you should get the best officials to call a Regional tournament. I bet you most of the officials that called the Region 3 tournament where either the President, Sec. or a board member of the chapter. If these games where played at the state tournament, I bet you the UIL would have not liked it either.

Astro, hate to tell you this but out of both chapters working Region 3, only 2 of the officials were chapter board members. 1 from each chapter.

Kicked back in the stands eating a hotdog - from an elevated position - arm chair officiating. You have no idea the difficulties facing officials these days. Walk down to floor level - evaluate the speed of the players, the angle and views from ground level - a lot different. Most officials do a great job - are there people officiating that should not be anywhere near a sporting event - absolutely. Just as there are those preaching, teaching, coaching and playing that should look for other things to do. We are in need of good officiating candidates - please contact your local chaper or www.taso.org - plenty of links to all sports officiating.

Kicked back in the stands eating a hotdog - from an elevated position - arm chair officiating. You have no idea the difficulties facing officials these days. Walk down to floor level - evaluate the speed of the players, the angle and views from ground level - a lot different. Most officials do a great job - are there people officiating that should not be anywhere near a sporting event - absolutely. Just as there are those preaching, teaching, coaching and playing that should look for other things to do. We are in need of good officiating candidates - please contact your local chaper or www.taso.org - plenty of links to all sports officiating.

Dryving two if ya no wat i meen! Sum folkz can even rite mus les dryve!

ESPN, CBS, ABC have all done undercover stories on the corruption in sports. From the Grade School level to the College level. Involving gambling, organized crime, and extortion. To say "Oh it doesn't ever happen in my kids sport" might be naive. Some of the kids, families, and yes Agents have schalorships & big money at stake. To think that refs, coaches, and parents aren't involved with the outcome of games at the Reg. and State level might be naive.

Then again, we might live in a perfect world.

ESPN, CBS, ABC have all done undercover stories on the corruption in sports. From the Grade School level to the College level. Involving gambling, organized crime, and extortion. To say "Oh it doesn't ever happen in my kids sport" might be naive. Some of the kids, families, and yes Agents have schalorships & big money at stake. To think that refs, coaches, and parents aren't involved with the outcome of games at the Reg. and State level might be naive.

I KNOW you did not just go there!!!!!!!!!!

Man don' t you know it - while reffing the Little Dribblers the other day, I was offered a $5000 bribe by the mafia that was hanging out in Whitehouse Jr High Gym. Guido actually said he would break my knees if I didn't accept. Then there was that time while umpiring the Little League T-Ball game that a sports agent asked if I would drop his name to Timmy (the first baseman). Ok - I'll say it - "UNCLE"

Man don' t you know it - while reffing the Little Dribblers the other day, I was offered a $5000 bribe by the mafia that was hanging out in Whitehouse Jr High Gym. Guido actually said he would break my knees if I didn't accept. Then there was that time while umpiring the Little League T-Ball game that a sports agent asked if I would drop his name to Timmy (the first baseman). Ok - I'll say it - "UNCLE"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Nobody got owned. He just proved he knows nothing about officiating basketball.....otherwise he would be out there doing it. Pretty easy to throw darts from the cheap seats!

For your information, I officiated High School Basketball for 25 years, Football for 30, and Baseball for 12. So I know about officiating. I have called my sure of games in all 3 sports which included many many playoff games. Why would you as a official come on here and tell everyone what you graded out at the Regional Tournament. If i was the official you over ruled in the game we would have a talk after the game. Why would you put yourself in that postion to call the Tenaha-Cayuga game when it is two teams you get to play in your playoff preview. When I officiated it wasn't about the big games with the big crowds, it was about doing the best job for both teams that where playing whether it be in Gary or Longview. Just because you go to camps doesn't make you a good official. One thing that makes a good official is when the game is over and nobody from either team even noticed you where there. If you would read my first post, I never said the officials beat us or helped us win. Remember it is not about you but about the kids.

LOL.....

That is a classic . Smoaky Hall of Fame post.. FUNNY.

Have you hugged a ref today?

For your information, I officiated High School Basketball for 25 years, Football for 30, and Baseball for 12. So I know about officiating. I have called my sure of games in all 3 sports which included many many playoff games. Why would you as a official come on here and tell everyone what you graded out at the Regional Tournament. If i was the official you over ruled in the game we would have a talk after the game. Why would you put yourself in that postion to call the Tenaha-Cayuga game when it is two teams you get to play in your playoff preview. When I officiated it wasn't about the big games with the big crowds, it was about doing the best job for both teams that where playing whether it be in Gary or Longview. Just because you go to camps doesn't make you a good official. One thing that makes a good official is when the game is over and nobody from either team even noticed you where there. If you would read my first post, I never said the officials beat us or helped us win. Remember it is not about you but about the kids.

That is funny! You are the one who made it an issue. If you knew anything about officiating, then you would also know that the UIL makes the assignments LONG in advance of the Regional Tournament and NOBODY put ANYBODY in a position of working teams. Just because they were in the Playoff Preview doesn't mean jack! You are hilarious!

. One thing that makes a good official is when the game is over and nobody from either team even noticed you where there. If you would read my first post, I never said the officials beat us or helped us win. Remember it is not about you but about the kids.

reply kinda long but did produce two good statements

+2

First of all i didn't see the game between Cville and TenHa i did look at the rosters and noticed Cville has a big size advantage. I figure Tenaha had to foul to keep Cvill from scoring the easy basket in the paint and Cville got hot on free throws

I work somewhere in good ole east texas....we been gettin a lots of chuckles about this thread at work.... Hows old doomer feel about this topic....please doomer....dont hold back....where u at the game doomy..i did not attend the game...what happened in tyler doomr.?.?

Bunch o reel fast guys tryd to chase chayse down a bunch of reel fast gyant guys n ever tyme the lil fast guys caut up the stryped guys would give the gyants charity shots. 44 of them. Thats aL i saw.