Celina vs Bishop Lynch

TCU44

If they come out focus and clean up some of the silly mistakes and sloppiness displayed in the Paris game, then Celina can name their score. If they don't take a step forward from Week 1 to this, Bobcats by 2-3 scores.

This is a spot where I wish we'd scheduled someone a bit more on the contender side. I know we'll get our toughest test of the regular season in a couple weeks against Anna, but it'd be nice to have at least a pair of those type games before the district slate starts.

Bishop Lynch does have some athletes. I don't want to undersell them too hard. They moved the ball in chunks against LD Bell last week. But most of their drives stalled out, and they just couldn't finish. The Friars QB can throw it pretty well, and he's got some decent targets to choose from. That said, Celina's defense is better than LD Bell's defense, and Celina's offense (specifically the o-line) is better than Bell's.

All that to say, Lynch has enough talent to trip up the Bobcats if they try to overlook the Friars. A focused Bobcats group wins comfortably, though.

7 hours ago, Ballboy23 said:

Tied 35-35 at half, Celina pulls away for 77-41 win over Bishop Lynch. The Bobcats rolled up 600 yards of rushing.

600 yards rushing, 120 and 2 TDs passing. Had a 97-yard TD run called back and several other big gains overturned by stupid penalties.

This is as balanced and as skilled of a Celina offense as we’ve had since 2015. Not as deep at the receiver position as that year, but we’ve got some guys who can make plays. Porter at QB is the epitome of a leader. Gutierrez and Williams at RB are the duo we’ve been looking for for a while.

From a talent standpoint, the offensive line is up there. But my LORD they are sloppy right now. And I don’t mean technique. They have GOT to clean up the senseless holding calls and extracurricular hands after the whistle. The best player of the bunch got yanked from the game for personal foul penalties, and he also had one last week. Coach Elliot finally had enough. If that player can keep his head on straight, he’s an all-state caliber OL, and the offense will have a chance to peak with him. If he continues the way he’s gone, he’s gonna become a toxic drive killer.

Defensively, we gave up too many easy plays early. And then we started to stop Bishop Lynch only to muff two punts inside the 10, and another one deep in our territory. Another turnover later gave the Friars even more momentum. I’d say they scored 21 legitimate points and the rest were throwaway gimmes. We held them to just 6 points in the second half, and it didn’t even feel that close over the last 24 minutes.

Like I said earlier though, Lynch has some dudes. Three of them, actually. PJ Washington at receiver/returner, a legit QB and a fantastic RB. And that’s it. Those three are the only reason it was as close as it was.

All that to say, there’s still a ton to be excited about with this Celina team. Defense needs to make some big adjustments and have some younger guys decide they’re gonna step up. But the offense is further along than I thought it’d be and has a much higher ceiling than I expected.

Got Prosper Walnut Grove on Friday, and then what is likely the only true-contender test the following week against Anna. Mark the calendars for that one.