Brandon Carter

rednblack2

Johnson isn't a poor man's Vince Young because he is nothing like VY. I don't think he is like McNabb either. Why do we have to compare him to black qb's when making a comparison?

From the clips I've seen, I would say he is most similar to Roger Staubach.

But just for comparison on VY lets look at the stats.

Jerrod Johnson in '09 (best year)

3579 yards passing

30 passing TD's

8 Interceptions

506 yards Rushing

8 Rushing Tds

Vince Young in '05 (best year)

3036 yards passing

26 Touchdowns

10 Interceptions

993 yards rushing

12 rushing tds.

hmmm... who looks to be the poor one now?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson isn't a poor man's Vince Young because he is nothing like VY. I don't think he is like McNabb either. Why do we have to compare him to black qb's when making a comparison?

I wasnt comparing them because they are black lol. I just think their style of play is alot alike. Both are great athletes that use their feet in the pocket. The difference in that and typical athletes like VY and Vick is that Mcnabb and Johnson are natural QBs that are athletic. VY and Vick are athletes that happen to play QB.

Johnson ability to extend plays, move the pocket, and use great downfield vision to find the open receiver under distress is what makes him like Mcnabb. Not skin color.

I wasnt comparing them because they are black lol. I just think their style of play is alot alike. Both are great athletes that use their feet in the pocket. The difference in that and typical athletes like VY and Vick is that Mcnabb and Johnson are natural QBs that are athletic. VY and Vick are athletes that happen to play QB.

Johnson ability to extend plays, move the pocket, and use great downfield vision to find the open receiver under distress is what makes him like Mcnabb. Not skin color.

I understand, but I'm just saying, alot of the qualities you just described also describe Staubach. Who, unlike McNabb, delivered in the big game.

I understand, but I'm just saying, alot of the qualities you just described also describe Staubach. Who, unlike McNabb, delivered in the big game.

i'm just going to toss this out there but maybe (if WETSU is like me) wasn't alive when Staubach played in the NFL. So when somebody describes those qualites McNabb comes to mind first because he has actually played in this last decade.

But just for comparison on VY lets look at the stats.

Jerrod Johnson in '09 (best year)

3579 yards passing

30 passing TD's

8 Interceptions

506 yards Rushing

8 Rushing Tds

Vince Young in '05 (best year)

3036 yards passing

26 Touchdowns

10 Interceptions

993 yards rushing

12 rushing tds.

hmmm... who looks to be the poor one now?

Stats are for losers. If you watched what Vince did in 2005 and think what Johnson did in 2009 was better you're bonkers and the biggest Aggie apologist ever.

Johnson

I just confirmed you are bonkers. You just compared Jerrod Johnson to Roger Staubach. I know what you're thinking. You want to say, "Well, you did too!!!" That's not the case. I didn't compare Colt to Roger Staubach as I only stated he had more college victories than Staubach.

Go watch clips of stauback scrambling for a big run or throwing a deep pass. Then go watch a clip of Johnson and tell me they do not have similar running styles and throwing mechanics...

Stats aren't for losers. Stats prove when a great player is playing on a crappy team. I know, its hard to accept that the almighty VY may actually be inferior to some run of the mill aggie. Guess we will just have to wait a couple years and see who has the more productive NFL career. Because I'm almost positive Johnson won't be playing in a national championship next year. Not with the crappy recruiting job we did.

Go watch clips of stauback scrambling for a big run or throwing a deep pass. Then go watch a clip of Johnson and tell me they do not have similar running styles and throwing mechanics...

Stats aren't for losers. Stats prove when a great player is playing on a crappy team. I know, its hard to accept that the almighty VY may actually be inferior to some run of the mill aggie. Guess we will just have to wait a couple years and see who has the more productive NFL career. Because I'm almost positive Johnson won't be playing in a national championship next year. Not with the crappy recruiting job we did.

hmmm, this then means that Graham Harrell was just a great player playing on a crappy team? then if stats are so important, why did he not get drafted? he set the NCAA record for throwing yards and td's.

Stats are for losers. If you watched what Vince did in 2005 and think what Johnson did in 2009 was better you're bonkers and the biggest Aggie apologist ever.

Then why should we care that Colt McCoy has won more games than anyone? Is that not a stat?

While i will agree that the defense was great last year...Colt has not always had the luxury of a great defense.

Not all of his 45 wins came when he had a great defense.

Jerrod Johnson may be a great QB but bro don't compare him to VY on stats alone.

VY put Texas back on the map as a national power.

If anyone could single handly beat a team it was him...Ask Michigan in the 04 Rose Bowl

Go ask the great team ever assembled in the 05 Rose Bowl.

Jerrod Johnson is good but he'll always be looking up at VY in the college football world

well thats cool, I guess. A bold prediction no doubt seeing as Jerrod has a season left to play and he has already beaten VY as far as stats go.

I guess he could always flop and have like a 2,500 yd season with 15 ints. But that would be pretty friggin tragic and unbelievable considering last year the majority of his receivers were true freshmen. I think we lost less than 10 starters. Defense is still probably gonna ####. But they should at least be better than last year.

What are VY's accomplisments? Won 2 rose bowls, one of which was a national championship. Not sure that makes you a the greatest ever, cosidering Chris Leak also won a NC. Also won the Maxwell and the Davey O'brian.

This arguement will never be settled while JJ is playing at A&M. The only way this argument will be settled is at the NFL level. And i know this may come as a shock, but I doubt it will be to hard to surpass what vince has done in the leage as of now.

well thats cool, I guess. A bold prediction no doubt seeing as Jerrod has a season left to play and he has already beaten VY as far as stats go.

I guess he could always flop and have like a 2,500 yd season with 15 ints. But that would be pretty friggin tragic and unbelievable considering last year the majority of his receivers were true freshmen. I think we lost less than 10 starters. Defense is still probably gonna ####. But they should at least be better than last year.

What are VY's accomplisments? Won 2 rose bowls, one of which was a national championship. Not sure that makes you a the greatest ever, cosidering Chris Leak also won a NC. Also won the Maxwell and the Davey O'brian.

This arguement will never be settled while JJ is playing at A&M. The only way this argument will be settled is at the NFL level. And i know this may come as a shock, but I doubt it will be to hard to surpass what vince has done in the leage as of now.

I dont think it is possible to compare qbs that play on different teams really...Offenses are usually too different and the defense and all the other variables. I think when it boils down to it you have to look at who is more important for their team. I think VY was one of those take over a game players. Take him off that team and Texas is slightly above average, not national title caliber. Jerrod Johnson put up huge stats last season but never showed to take over a game like VY did. Now i think both are equally important to their team in terms of both are what makes the offense go.

When it boils down to it i think from what we have seen so far in their careers they are like this. VY is a gamer. He is a guy who can take over a game and win it with his legs and some big plays all by himself. JJ is a guy who overall is a better QB probably than VY but hasnt showed that game breaker ability on a consistant basis that VY has. Pretty much i think that in terms of attributes that make a guy a great QB Johnson is better. But there are few that can change a game with his legs from the QB position like VY. Two totally different styles. Impossible to completly "prove" who is better.

Your probably right WETSU. But, I'd have to say that all the attributes that you described for VY have yet to translate at the NFL level. Which is probably why he had his mental breakdown or whatever that was. Anyway, he is getting better. I am just anxious to see what JJ is able to do when he gets there. So far he is shaping up to be the prototypical nfl qb, (tall, smart, big arm) but its hard to judge what a qb will do at the pro level. Vince was picked on his production alone, had he not won all those big games he would've been a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Thanks Crankthatcrabtree for reminding us what this thread was originally about...

I know... right? sheesss... ya say one little thing about McCoy being overrated and you can lather some UT fans up into a frenzy. lol.

Then try sticking to the thread topic without taking a cheap shot at someone that has no bearing on the thread and things like this won't happen. Pretty simple, unless you're a Tech fan apparently.

Then try sticking to the thread topic without taking a cheap shot at someone that has no bearing on the thread and things like this won't happen. Pretty simple, unless you're a Tech fan apparently.

Thread Subject: Brandon Carter

Total Posts: 45

Posts referring to Carter: 4

Came here looking for info and opinions on Brandon Carter, but learned nothing.

85lobo,

At least most of the other posts are about football. After telling everyone to stick to the topic and not take cheap shots, you did neither! Thanks for your contribution.

Back to the subject. Don't follow the NFL, but was surprised Carter was not drafted. Definitely think he has the size and skills to play there, but his game persona and behavior are probably not positives. I understand he's a smart kid though. Now he has an opportunity and it is up to him to do something with it.

Thread Subject: Brandon Carter

Total Posts: 45

Posts referring to Carter: 4

Back to the subject. Don't follow the NFL, but was surprised Carter was not drafted. Definitely think he has the size and skills to play there, but his game persona and behavior are probably not positives. I understand he's a smart kid though. Now he has an opportunity and it is up to him to do something with it.

Carter is to slow (that is why he was not switched to tackle in college)to make it and he was way over-rated he only got talked about becuase of his tats and then add to that he is a drama queen and gets stupid peneltys he will not make it past the first round of cuts.

I thought the last time I saw Tech play they were talking about Carter and his weight. Listed at 354lbs but was actually playing at closer to 374, or I thought it was something to that effect. If he indeed does weigh that much, he'll have to shed some pounds to have the stamina and be anywhere near effective and a contributor.

I hope he makes it and becomes a star, I always pull for the local guys. I could sure do without having to see all those tatoos though. Just doesn't look right.

Actually is was JV_ that derailed the thread. Pretty simple. But okay. I know we gotta keep it that way for UT folks. :smirk: Reread my posts and edit your reply. I tried to keep going back to Carter. It's the UT folks who get worked up when someone says something about colt. And btw, I didn't take a cheap shot at Colt. I actually said a couple of times in the thread he should have went before Bradford. Next....