your thoughts on enclosing highschool football stadium

draconian

Indoor practice facilities at the high school level are a major waste of money. Kids can get along just fine practicing outside...they've been doing it for the last 5,000 years of athletic competition. Set up a scholarship fund instead.

I wouldn't say that. Been at places where we had an indoor and it can be a huge advantage as far as preparation goes. Practicing in a gym is terrible and I don't think there's a coach around that likes to do it, however, sometimes the weather doesn't allow you to be outside and keep kids safe. An indoor facility does that. Also, cold/inclement weather has little effect on baseball, softball and some track and field events as you can still get some quality reps in if you have to go inside. Also, during the offseason you can throw 7 on 7 without worrying if the weather is going to cooperate, and reps is what makes all the difference in improving ability levels for receivers, QB's, and DB's. To make the statement that "they've been doing it for the last 5,000 years" is absurd. Do you see anyone wearing a suspension helmet anymore, or how about the old Cramer J-Pads, does "Spot-Bilt" even make cleats anymore, seen a dropkick in a game in the last 50 years? In athletics, if you don't keep up with the Jones's you're going to get left in the dust. Indoor facilities are expensive but I do believe they have merit.

Let me ask you this about Sulphur Springs. They have a grass field yes? In 4a the majority of their road games are played on an artificial surface. Lets just say we have a season where there is a lot of rain (2009 ring a bell). The rain makes their grass fields to where you can't really get anything accomplished on them. They wind up practicing in the gym most of the time. Now lets look at their opponents for these away games who are getting to practice on turf. The large quantities or rain have no affect whatsoever on their field and they are able to get outside and practice.

So for 5 games out of the year (with three of four being district games possibly) SS is at a disadvantage before they ever step onto the field due to lack of being able to get quality reps at practice. I believe that an indoor facility is merited in this case.

Indoor fields are an illustration of the missplaced priorities we have. They are a nice - yes, necessary - no. Many school administrators are going to wish they had not gotten into the athletic facilities arm race in the next budget cycle. A turf practice field would eliminate most issues with outdoor practices. Lighting is an issue - yes.

Don't get me wrong, they are nice when times are good. I suspect extracurriculars are going to take a big hit in the next 15 months. High school football staffs of 15 coaches are going to be a thing of the past as scarse resources are allocated.

I hope I am wrong in my rubbing of the crystal ball.

I wouldn't say that. Been at places where we had an indoor and it can be a huge advantage as far as preparation goes. Practicing in a gym is terrible and I don't think there's a coach around that likes to do it, however, sometimes the weather doesn't allow you to be outside and keep kids safe. An indoor facility does that. Also, cold/inclement weather has little effect on baseball, softball and some track and field events as you can still get some quality reps in if you have to go inside. Also, during the offseason you can throw 7 on 7 without worrying if the weather is going to cooperate, and reps is what makes all the difference in improving ability levels for receivers, QB's, and DB's. To make the statement that "they've been doing it for the last 5,000 years" is absurd. Do you see anyone wearing a suspension helmet anymore, or how about the old Cramer J-Pads, does "Spot-Bilt" even make cleats anymore, seen a dropkick in a game in the last 50 years? In athletics, if you don't keep up with the Jones's you're going to get left in the dust. Indoor facilities are expensive but I do believe they have merit.

Actually Joaquin's Patrick Gandy dropkicked an extra point in the Rams' blowout playoff win over James Bowie in the '07 Bi-District playoff game at Tatum.

Let me ask you this about Sulphur Springs. They have a grass field yes? In 4a the majority of their road games are played on an artificial surface. Lets just say we have a season where there is a lot of rain (2009 ring a bell). The rain makes their grass fields to where you can't really get anything accomplished on them. They wind up practicing in the gym most of the time. Now lets look at their opponents for these away games who are getting to practice on turf. The large quantities or rain have no affect whatsoever on their field and they are able to get outside and practice.

So for 5 games out of the year (with three of four being district games possibly) SS is at a disadvantage before they ever step onto the field due to lack of being able to get quality reps at practice. I believe that an indoor facility is merited in this case.

Save the money and put it into a stadium and turf

SS whole stadium is a dump and not a proper 4A stadium. A team like SS deserves a nice stadium. Practicing outdoors hasnt hurt SS on Friday nights at all in the recent years so I think they could do without an indoor facility for now.

We've been trying to get a new stadium or at least get turf put in the one we have now for some time now. Our administration and older voters just haven't found it necessary. I have no clue how we ended up getting the indoor facility. It's nice and all, but id rather have something to be proud of on Friday nights