Lobos Spring Football

I'm pretty sure, by now, the Marshall coaches know what the Lobos are all about. They may add a couple new wrinkles in every year, but we don't have a problem with knowing what the Lobos will line up and run. The trouble is that we know what is coming, just have to find a way to stop it. I think the Marshall coaches like when Longview tries to get fancy on offense, it usually leads to punts. If they just lined up and ran it 90% of the time, we would probably get worn out sooner and lose by bigger margins. How many starters return on the lobo offensive line? They will have to mature fast if they are young. The Mav D-line will be a brick wall this year, if they keep working hard. So far in spring that has been the glaring strong point.

all new starters,but all very good!!!...reloading!...skill players will be much better than last year!!.....maybe one of longviews fastest teams in memory!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the hieght and weight of the O AND D lines?

The two DE's are monsters.

George Polk (6'2 210) was set to start this past season, but was unable to due to a season ending energy suffered in the Hallsville Scrimmage.

The other DE is an animal. Larry Thomas is a D1 DE who did a helluva job this past season, most notibly in the Tomball game where he recorded numerous sacks. At 6'3 220, Larry gained MVP honors at the North Texas Top 100 Showcase and Combine in February. He also took a visit to Oklahoma not long ago, along with Burton and Jackson.

The two Super Sophomore's in Cornellious Williams(5'11 245) and Jaylon Porter(6' 205) are returning to the interior spots.

O-Line is lead by:

Clark Orren(6'1 230) Moved over from the defense. A true definition of WORKHORSE. Pure Muscle.

Jermikal Partner(6' 260) Scary good, especially in the run blocking.

Others are fighting for their spots, and trust me, there are good candidates. I'll give a update on oline as the spring progresses.

offense loaded.....fullback dominated guyer deontre wilson 6'1 230 is back.....both d1 wide recievers back,,,hawkins in state finals for 100 and 200 meters....jhaston fagans halfback is also back after gaining over 1300 yards even missing last few playoff games with ankle injury....tory white and deonte wall are potentail great running backs and only freshman and sophomore!....and it goes on!

Re: Spring football?? Spring game???

I saw them for the first time yesterday and i'll be the first to say that they will definitely contend for the district championship......in fact, the Lobos(Longview) are gonna have their hands full!!!

This is a quote from etsupersite.com forums that I thought the Lobo faithful will enjoy. (I did not post this one since I havent stepped foot in Marshall since December).

This is a quote from etsupersite.com forums that I thought the Lobo faithful will enjoy. (I did not post this one since I havent stepped foot in Marshall since December).

Same story every year, same results.:blush:

I dont think most Mav fans on a large scale think we can beat Longview at the moment. Longview is clearly a step above us right now....and has been for almost a decade.

Yes.....many of the games have been competitive (definaltely more competitive than the final scores show) but at the end of the day.....we get worn down in the 4th quarter every year. I honestly dont think they are consistently 2+ touchdowns better than us. But depth of the Lobo bench, our bonehead decisions (on offense mostly), and turnovers always seem to lead to our demise.

Until we can beat them again.....I dont think there is any sense in talking about it. Longview is clearly better than we are right now. It will even out again....but until that happens.... Mav fans have to sit and endure the never-ending smack talk.

I dont think most Mav fans on a large scale think we can beat Longview at the moment. Longview is clearly a step above us right now....and has been for almost a decade.

Yes.....many of the games have been competitive (definaltely more competitive than the final scores show) but at the end of the day.....we get worn down in the 4th quarter every year. I honestly dont think they are consistently 2+ touchdowns better than us. But depth of the Lobo bench, our bonehead decisions (on offense mostly), and turnovers always seem to lead to our demise.

Until we can beat them again.....I dont think there is any sense in talking about it. Longview is clearly better than we are right now. It will even out again....but until that happens.... Mav fans have to sit and endure the never-ending smack talk.

i agree with upi on some points but problem is the game is 4 quarters.i do believe longview is 2 touchdowns better. do you actually think marshall could have gone close to 5 rounds in 5a playoffs?..probably not. marshall makes mistakes every year due to playing a better team.the games are competitive for a while. also, if you are going to play a superior team the first game is where you will get them rather than 3 games down the road when they have gotten the rust off. sooo, if marshall played longview in game 4 it might be even worse. either way marshall plays tough. nothing against them. good solid team.kings program is just going to a different level ever year. tey are consistantly very good even when they lose alot to graduation. now thats what a good PROGRAM is about!

I have to say a lot of people down King but I was one of those fans that drove to all those first and second round early playoff exit games and I hated it. Longview is a different program now. Longview can compete with anyone, and beat anyone on any given day. That speaks volumes for our football program.

if marshall played longview in game 4 it might be even worse.

Weren't the 2008 and 2009 games like the 7th games of the season? It was a one point game at half time both years. But like I said...... Longview pulls away. Mainly because of their depth IMHO. The Longview bench is much deeper than ours. And no doubt they have had better coaching the last 4 seasons (no further comment needed).

And yes....Longview gets better as the season progresses.....but so do we...lol. Had we not lost our QB last year for the entire second half of the season....yes...I think we would have had a better run than we did. But it was what it was. We had a hurt QB and a coach/offensive unwilling or unable to make the adjustments to keep us competitive.

No....I do not think we would have gone 5 rounds deep in 5A. We lost to the #4 team in 4A in the first round 24-21. Shouldn't have. But did.

I still dont think Longview is consistently 14+ points better than us. Just have to disagree. Better than us yes..... there is no doubt. 0-10 speaks for itself in the last decade.

The week we play @ Indy Stadium on Saturday at the Border Battle and our open date....I plan on watching Longview play....unless it's 300 miles away.

And yes....Longview gets better as the season progresses.....but so do we...lol. Had we not lost our QB last year for the entire second half of the season....yes...I think we would have had a better run than we did. But it was what it was. We had a hurt QB and a coach/offensive unwilling or unable to make the adjustments to keep us competitive.

The funny part is the QB was our offense. Hurt QB= no more offense.

I dont want to come on the Longview thread and say that Marshall could beat Longview or who is better or whatnot... I was just stating some of the quotes from the "stands" watching Mavs Spring ball. I do think the one year Marshall had the players to beat Longview was 2009. 5 straight turnovers in the 2nd half was their nemesis and the game even stayed competitive after that, even though the score indicated otherwise. Longview is clearly one of the elite programs in the state. Division 1 talent all over the field each year.

The funny part is the QB was our offense. Hurt QB= no more offense.

I dont want to come on the Longview thread and say that Marshall could beat Longview or who is better or whatnot... I was just stating some of the quotes from the "stands" watching Mavs Spring ball. I do think the one year Marshall had the players to beat Longview was 2009. 5 straight turnovers in the 2nd half was their nemesis and the game even stayed competitive after that, even though the score indicated otherwise. Longview is clearly one of the elite programs in the state. Division 1 talent all over the field each year.

Those people in the stands, have they been to a Lobo practice?

Or are they just saying that out of stupidity?

Those people in the stands, have they been to a Lobo practice?

Or are they just saying that out of stupidity?

I would guess the latter... I wouldn't know, I am just a spectator in Fort Worth :)