Angels overreact and reportedly sign Albert Pujols to a 10-year deal

cheaptrick77

If this report is indeed accurate, not only do I think this is a foolish, foolish deal for the Angels, but I also feel sorry for the fans of St. Louis. As devastating as late October was, I still have a lot of respect for the St. Louis fans. That's a top-notch baseball town. Pujols was a deity there, and the Cardinals were ready to break the bank for him. He could have retired from there on the same level as Stan Musial, but he chose to forsake the organization and that legacy. It sickens me.

Stupid stupid stupid move for the Halos. Great move for the Rangers. An old club has just handicapped their team for at least the next 5 seasons, the last 5 take a look at ARod. Rangers dont need to over react to this move. I'd rather have the core guys locked up than one man.

Sorry I posted a new topic about this before I saw this one.

Why would you go away from Miami or St. Louis and like Ratface said you could retire as one of the best of all time from there?

i really thought he'd go to miami. new stadium, new manager, new name, new look, blah blah blah. instead he'll be a thorn in our sides for the next few years.

Is it just me or has anybody else wondered where the Marlins suddenly got all this money? Pujols showed his character on this deal. Not much difference in money to stay with the redirds. St. Louis will come out ahead in this deal.

i read that they're trying to parlay this move into a better tv deal. they also will have to battle the dodgers more under their new ownership for fans in the area. no doubt pujols is a great hitter and wilson is a good pitcher, especially with the other starters. however, i think the deals are too long and what about the other guys for the angels? the rookie 1st baseman was one of their bright spots last year. santana is gonna be the #4? lot of money to pay a number 4. this move may work in the next couple of years, but i see it hurting them in the long run.

Is it just me or has anybody else wondered where the Marlins suddenly got all this money? Pujols showed his character on this deal. Not much difference in money to stay with the redirds. St. Louis will come out ahead in this deal.

No idea where that money is coming from. Maybe they didn't want to spend until they moved into their new stadium.

I agree with that St. Louis will come out good. They are one if the few teams that Pujols would be bigger than. They still have a very good team they is getting its best pitcher back.

On a personal note, I lost a lot of respect for Pujols today.

No idea where that money is coming from. Maybe they didn't want to spend until they moved into their new stadium.

I agree with that St. Louis will come out good. They are one if the few teams that Pujols would be bigger than. They still have a very good team they is getting its best pitcher back.

On a personal note, I lost a lot of respect for Pujols today.

You are right on.

St. louis was in the ballpark of this amount and years................were is the loyality. I would understand if the years were different but they werent

Lost respect also.........esp that he is going to the angels. I hated him for 7 games this year, get to hate him for alot more games now.

I am a long-time diehard Cardinals fan. Contracts aside, my preference was for Pujols to finish his career as a Cardinal. Months ago, I expected this to happen. More recently, I started preparing myself for either outcome. Therefore, my response to the news is "Good luck to all and no hard feelings."

I haven't particularly lost respect for Pujols. Thought he might be willing to take a bit less money to remain a Cardinal, but the Angels' offer was clearly higher - roughly 15%. (I hope he passes on the "I just had to do what was best for my family" routine, however.) Most any other athlete would do the same. And many of us might leave our current employers for a 15% raise as well.

The Cardinal organization is a winner in my book and I'm very pleased with how they handled things. They made their best, fiscally responsible offer and now are free to address other priorities. The team and the organization are always bigger than any single player. The Cardinals will move on from this and should be competitive in 2012 and beyond.

The Angels have acted irresponsibly. I feel fortunate that the Cardinals didn't pay $250-260M (and maybe even the $220M they offered) to keep Pujols. The Angels may believe they can cover their investment in Pujols with increased revenue generation. That's their call. But in terms of on-field production over 10 years, I feel they have taken a huge risk and almost certainly overpaid. This is no knock on Pujols. I don't think anyone in the history of the game could deliver this kind of value starting at age 32.

To Albert: It's been a fabulous 11 years. Your time as a Cardinal (especially 2 WS wins in 3 appearances) will never be forgotten. Best of luck in the future.

To the Cardinals: Thanks for a great championship season and for positioning the team for success in the future. Hoping for a 12th WS title in '12.

To Rangers fans: Looks like you'll seeing AP throughout the season instead of just October. Good luck.

I'm already curious to see if Pujols takes out one of those "thanks for everything" half or full page ads in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch giving gratitude to the fans for his time there. If he does, what's he going to say? "I couldn't pay the light bill with what the Cardinals were offering me."

The Cardinals' fans and the organization itself are too classy to have that copout fed to them. Pujols should be ashamed and embarrassed.

WOW -- I am pleasantly surprised that you guys are not overreacting & waiving fire and pitchforks the Rangers direction to “counter” and “do something”. All of my Facebook Rangers fans are on suicide watch today!

I personally look forward to the challenge & say BRING ON THE ANGELS ... the pressure is on them for overspending, NOT the Rangers.

Pitchers and catchers report in 72 days

How can anybody be upset with this team? We didnt overpay for a #2 pitcher, we shouldnt sign Prince Feilfer to a huge contract when that would cost us core guys down the road and we have guys in the farm system that we can work with(call ups/trade bait).

WOW -- I am pleasantly surprised that you guys are not overreacting & waiving fire and pitchforks the Rangers direction to “counter” and “do something”. All of my Facebook Rangers fans are on suicide watch today!

I personally look forward to the challenge & say BRING ON THE ANGELS ... the pressure is on them for overspending, NOT the Rangers.Pitchers and catchers report in 72 days

+1

i haven't lost any respect for him. You cant blame the guy for going somewhere else who wanted to pay him 50 million more. Atleast he's not Lebron and quit on his team in the championship finals before leaving. He delivered them one last championship.

I can't believe Pujols is leaving St Louis ... he could own that town if he stayed and finished his Hall of Fame career there. Don't know what's the difference between the Angels and the Cards contract offers, but assuming it's a few million different, what can you buy with the extra money that would make a difference? I don't see how this helps Pujols at all. Pitiful!

Look at the stats. In 2011 Pujols batting average, OBP, slugging, BB, and RBI's were the lowest of his career. OF HIS CAREER!!!! Yea he missed a few games but only had 50 less plate appearances than last year. We all know that during a players free agent year, their stats go up, not down. This is a sign of things to come. Good move Angels!!

Go Rangers!!

I hate to see Pujols go to the Angels, but he will make a lot more money in California than St. Louis. Even with a comparable contract in St. Louis the endorsement deals will start to flow. I know the Angels don't like having the backseat to the Rangers, so they did what they had to do to bring in the best player in the Major Leagues.

St. Louis has never tried to make a solid contract offer to Pujols, until this off season. They could have already locked him up, but didn't. With incentives Pujols stands to make $280 million with the Angels. I don't blame him one bit, without incentives it's $40 million more than what St. Louis offered. On top of that he doesn't have Tony LaRussa anymore.