Texas 2014 Recruiting

Lobo97

Texas recruiting has been on a tear lately. They already have 3 commitments for 2015 and have now picked up 5 commitments (and they are ALL defense!) for 2014 in the past 10 days...

DT Trey Lealaimatafao, San Antonio TX

DE Jake McMillon, Abilene TX

DT Courtney Garnett, New Orleans LA

LB Otaro Alaka, Cypress Falls TX

and now LB Andrew Beck, Tampa FL

I also like how much they are branching out to the South East.

Other commitments for 2014,

WR Roderick Bernard, Houston

RB Donald Catalon, Houston

C Terrell Cuney, Jasper

RB Daniel Gresham, Ft Worth

LB Cameron Hampton, Dallas

QB Jerrod Heard, Denton Guyer

WR Lorenzo Joe, Abilen

OT Demetrius Knox, Ft Worth

DE Derick Roberson, San Antonio

more to come....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Olaka is a big pick up as well as Beck. The Longhorns are getting more involved with oos players. They are filling need positions at LB, WR and DL but now they need to pick up some DB's. After all the doom and gloom of february the recruiting news out of Austin is a nice change.

BTW, I'm wondering what Heard is thinking after watching Swoopes at the spring game?

Olaka is a big pick up as well as Beck. The Longhorns are getting more involved with oos players. They are filling need positions at LB, WR and DL but now they need to pick up some DB's. After all the doom and gloom of february the recruiting news out of Austin is a nice change.

BTW, I'm wondering what Heard is thinking after watching Swoopes at the spring game?

I imagine he's thinking "can't wait to start in 2 years".... Lol

They need a whole new set of LBs

I'm hoping Santos has made the strides they have claimed. He looked good in the spring game, but was going against the 2nd team offense. I also thought Peter Jenkins looked pretty good. If those two guys step up, Texas will make huge improvements at the LB position. If not, then Hicks will be the only LB worth a dang again, and that will only matter if he can actually stay healthy.

They need a whole new set of LBs

I think you're wrong. Santos, Jinkens and Hicks should be an upgrade from last year. Hicks has proven he can play when healthy, Jinkens has come on strong since the last few games of 2012 and Santos is the "crazy white boy" in the middle.

I did and I think Swoopes is a big, strong physical kid who can run the football. I still don't dnow what kind of passer he is.

I'm hearing & reading that he has Jamarcus Russell type arm strength. His accuracy will have to get better though. That's what redshirts are for.

I'm hearing & reading that he has Jamarcus Russell type arm strength. His accuracy will have to get better though. That's what redshirts are for.

What everybody is all up in arms about is his ability to break an arm tackle and escape pressure. His throwing in the spring game was very limited. He is very far from being the next star at Texas. He has loads of potential and with the proper coaching/development he can become great. He isn't nearly as fast as expected.

What everybody is all up in arms about is his ability to break an arm tackle and escape pressure. His throwing in the spring game was very limited. He is very far from being the next star at Texas. He has loads of potential and with the proper coaching/development he can become great. He isn't nearly as fast as expected.

Yes I realize this. I watched the game. The word from the practices is that he has a very strong arm. Rumor has it that he has already passed Conner Brewer on the depth chart.

I still don't see how that great of an athlete on translated into 2 wins on the 2A level?

I still don't see how that great of an athlete on translated into 2 wins on the 2A level?

Whitewright had zero talent around him. He missed one game due to injury and Whitewright forfeited the last game. According to the stats on the MaxPreps Whitewright page he had 873 yds passing and 1367 yds rushing in 8 games.

I've seen lesser athletes dominate in higher levels.

And they were probably surrounded by better talent.

I'm not necessarily defending Swoopes, just the situation. Heck, as a Longhorn fan, my opinion of him wasn't near as high as it was before, but that's because of his performance and not the teams record.

That being said, look at Barry Sanders. Most people have him anywhere between 1-3 as the top RB of all time. How many playoff wins did he get though out his career?

And they were probably surrounded by better talent.

I'm not necessarily defending Swoopes, just the situation. Heck, as a Longhorn fan, my opinion of him wasn't near as high as it was before, but that's because of his performance and not the teams record.

That being said, look at Barry Sanders. Most people have him anywhere between 1-3 as the top RB of all time. How many playoff wins did he get though out his career?

NFL and 2A ball is a little different lol

I'm not comparing the NFL and 2a ball, I'm comparing the situation and the situation is he same at ALL levels!

Kinda sad I had to explain that.

Barry Sanders was a superstar playing with the greatest football players in the world. Swoopes was one of the top ranked Texas high school athletes playing in a subpar level of 2A ball. It was a poor comparison lol.

Barry Sanders was a superstar playing with the greatest football players in the world. Swoopes was one of the top ranked Texas high school athletes playing in a subpar level of 2A ball. It was a poor comparison lol.

Again, we are NOT comparing the two levels, but the perspective! Outside of Sanders, Detroit was one of the worst teams in the league leading to zero success even with a player as good as Sanders. THAT is the comparison.

Sanders was a great player on such a lousy team even he couldn't lead them to success.

Swoopes was a great player on such a lousy team even he couldn't lead them to success.

Good grief, it's like trying to explain to a group of toddlers how to turn the light on.