WEEK 6: Marshall (1-3) Vs. Hallsville (2-3)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Hallsville  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Hallsville by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Hallsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/2019 at 12:30 AM

45 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Is this a decent rivalry at all? Suprised these two only met after Marshall dropped down from 125A in the early 2000s.

The series started in 2000.... we didn'y become district rivals until 2002.

Interesting fact...... Marshall, Hallsville, and Pine Tree have ALWAYS been in the same district since 2002.... but we've bounced between the old North District (MP, Texas High, SS) and the South District (Nac, Jax, JT, WH) since 2002.

Decent rivalry?  Depends who you ask.  I think the players take it seriously because the teams know each other in most cases.  I don't think the average fan gets over excited about the series. 

And like the stats I shared above.... about half the games have been decided by one possession.  At least in the first decade of the series.

TBH..... Hallsville has been dominated most of the series outside of the 2011-14 years when Marshall was in a total rebuild.  Take those four seasons away and Marshall leads 14-1.  

Bobcats haven't really been great....even when we were bad.

But...... we've always had a Texas High or a John Tyler that dominated the district before we started dominating it.

I'd love to see this series become a huge rivalry.  It SHOULD be one considering we are 14 miles apart. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The series started in 2000.... we didn'y become district rivals until 2002.

Interesting fact...... Marshall, Hallsville, and Pine Tree have ALWAYS been in the same district since 2002.... but we've bounced between the old North District (MP, Texas High, SS) and the South District (Nac, Jax, JT, WH) since 2002.

Decent rivalry?  Depends who you ask.  I think the players take it seriously because the teams know each other in most cases.  I don't think the average fan gets over excited about the series. 

And like the stats I shared above.... about half the games have been decided by one possession.  At least in the first decade of the series.

TBH..... Hallsville has been dominated most of the series outside of the 2011-14 years when Marshall was in a total rebuild.  Take those four seasons away and Marshall leads 14-1.  

Bobcats haven't really been great....even when we were bad.

But...... we've always had a Texas High or a John Tyler that dominated the district before we started dominating it.

I'd love to see this series become a huge rivalry.  It SHOULD be one considering we are 14 miles apart. 

I always wondered why some schools never played each other especially back in the day where games and travel were more difficult .

8 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

I always wondered why some schools never played each other especially back in the day where games and travel were more difficult .

I think there were several reasons why Marshall and Hallsville didn't play until 2000.....

1.  Until the 2000's.... Hallsville had always been significantly smaller.  But as white flight picked up for them.... the gap closed in.... and continues to close in.  HHS is one of only a couple of 5A schools in East Texas with INCREASES in enrollment.  Most ETx schools in 5A are decreasing.

2.  Most of Hallsville's history.... they have been pretty terrible.  Don't mean that as a slam...but.... how long has it been since they won a district title?  They've only been in the playoffs a couple of times since we joined them in 2002.

3.  When they were in the lower classifications.... they were usually in huge districts with 7-8 teams, which meant only a couple of non-district games.

4.  Old Bobcat Stadium.  Marshall never played there.  Our first game in Hallsville was at the current stadium.

JMHO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gramps said:

I know at one time they played for the Harrison county cup and I also remember the two mayors of the towns making friend bets! What happen with all that?

The same thing that happened to the Marshall-Longview rivalry. Hallsville has turned into a giant underdog most seasons. The difference being our enrollments are much closer. So Hallsville can turn things around and make this game fun again eventually. Other than a rare team like the 2015 Mavs, Marshall just can't make up for the depth and numbers Longview has over them. 

Hope to see another step forward tonight.

If we leap as much as we did from the Carthage game to Lindale game.... I'll be thrilled.  Improve every week...we will be fine.

This season is still very much alive for a district title and a playoff run.

Winning cures all ills. 

That 0-3 start will be a distant memory.... how many people even remember last year's 1-2 start?  

GO MAVS GO!

Yeah. 
It can’t be that hard to fix. 
otherwise it would be a challenge for most teams.... and it’s not.   

If we learned anything from how last season ended.... every. Single. Point. Matters.