🔴 Sooners 2022 thread

Mr. P

On 11/26/2022 at 8:17 PM, bordertown said:

I had been reading good reports in spring training. Surprised to see him drop off the depth chart. Think Riley recruited him. Kid has a motor.

I am not sure that he has a natural position in BV's defense. He is too small to be a DE and I don't think is fast/quick enough to be a LB.

• Like 1

"With Wease’s pending departure, the book is all but closed on the 2019 WR trio that consisted of Jadon Haselwood, Trejan Bridges, and Theo Wease that heavily underperformed in the eyes of many Oklahoma fans."

That says it all right there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

"With Wease’s pending departure, the book is all but closed on the 2019 WR trio that consisted of Jadon Haselwood, Trejan Bridges, and Theo Wease that heavily underperformed in the eyes of many Oklahoma fans."

Extremely disappointing class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Who would guessed that Drake Stoops would be the best WR from that class.

• Wow 1

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Here is fun fact for you. 

Oklahoma's defense played 741 snaps in Big 12 conference play and only 1 offensive holding penalty was called on the other teams all season.

Miraculous...   especially so when you consider the fact that everyone who knows anything about football knows there is holding on literally every play. It's all a matter of how much it impact the success of the play. 

The fact that it's only called once...   well...   there you go. 

Oklahoma players dealt with widespread cultural changes, and "it was pretty rough"

"The biggest thing about [Venables]... he brought a lot of things that players have to get adjusted to, especially Coach Schmitty (strength coach Jerry Schmidt) coming back. I mean, there's no teeter-tottering on the line and stuff like that. You got to do the things he wants you to do the ways he wants you to do them. Basically, that's the biggest thing, is just getting adjusted to that.

“The hardest thing is with leadership and stuff like that. I mean, us older guys have gone out there and won games. But as far as through Coach Venables and the things he wants, and the ways that he wants things to be done, I mean, it's hard to be leaders to that stuff when we're new to it, too. I feel like that was the biggest change this year, as far as in the summer workouts and stuff. We were all buying into Schmitty and we can all do that, and then we get to the season, where game planning is different, hotel situations might be different, how we travel, like how we do the meetings at the hotel, all that stuff is different. So it just takes some getting adjusted to."

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Miraculous...   especially so when you consider the fact that everyone who knows anything about football knows there is holding on literally every play. It's all a matter of how much it impact the success of the play. 

My favorite thing is when you play a mobile QB and they refuse to call holding. Pretty much anytime a QB moves in any direction that is unexpected by the OL on a pass play there is holding.

Edited by Valhalla
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Lol I remember lots of A&M fans complaining that LSU was holding every play and only got called once Saturday night. And then I saw the LSU fan site and they were complaining about A&M holding every play. 

I see it the way I see targeting- I wish they would be consistent in their calling it. It feels weaponized when I see what looks like blatant holding or textbook targeting go uncalled and then my team gets called for the most ticky tack of offenses. Sounds like it disproportionately affected OU this year. That's frustrating.

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The fix is in, UT bros. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I felt that way when A&M was leaving. Especially against Kansas State. I don’t remember anything specific but it felt blatant at times. 

I expected it, just didn't think it'd be so...  overt. 

Oh well. I always say: never leave the outcome up to the refs. 

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Wayna will be a Day 3 or undrafted guy.

He's stagnated, even regressed. Not sure what's up with that. He has more raw potential than young Trent...  just didn't put in the work that Trent did. It's a bummer. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

He's stagnated, even regressed. Not sure what's up with that. He has more raw potential than young Trent...  just didn't put in the work that Trent did. It's a bummer. 

I don’t think he ever cared about the college part of it. 

He might be a guy who gets to league and explodes just because of his potential.

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic