Week Five: Longview at Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-1, 1-0) vs Lancaster Tigers (1-3, 0-1)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/23/2023 at 12:00 AM

2023.pnglancaster.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-1) AT LANCASTER TIGERS (1-3)

DATE: Friday, August 22nd
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium in Lancaster, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LANCASTER BROADCAST: n/a
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview GameDay
LANCASTER LIVE STREAM: n/a

longview.png LOBOS LEAD SERIES 4-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 3-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 3-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Lancaster.
Longview has won the last four meetings with the Tigers.
The two schools have never played at Beverly Humphrey Tiger Stadium.
The two schools have never played on September 22nd.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
09.23.2022 - Longview 21, Lancaster 13 - Lobo Stadium
11.19.2021 - Longview 34, Lancaster 14 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
12.18.2020 - Longview 56, Lancaster 22 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
11.21.2008 - Longview 49, Lancaster 22 - John E. Kincaide Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
It's the rivalry that has dominated Lancaster's schedule for the previous four season. First, in 2020, the Lobos knocked off the #2 ranked Tigers 56-22 at Mesquite Memorial before watching Longview do the same less than a year later in a 34-14 defeat once again in the Area Round of the post season. Then came realignment, which saw Longview and Lancaster enter into the same district for the first time. Last year, the Tigers at halftime looked poised to knock off the Lobos at their own home. However, Longview pitched a second half shut out to knock off the Tigers once again, 21-13. It was the fourth straight win for the Lobos to open the series against one another. Now, Longview heads to Lancaster for the first time inside the confides of Beverly Humphrey Tiger Stadium. The two teams have taken completely different paths thus far in 2023. Longview opened the season with a close defeat to 6A state ranked McKinney High, 23-21, which saw the Lobos fall in the final seconds on a late field goal. Since then, the Lobos have rolled over their competition, outscoring them 112-14 with one game called at halftime. Lancaster has taken the opposite. Struggling in their season opener behind five turnovers, the Tigers knocked off Dallas Skyline 28-14 before getting blasted by two time defending state champion South Oak Cliff by 21. Despite a close loss to Denton Guyer at home, the Tigers saw their district opener again fall by the waist side in a shocking 28-21 loss to the McKinney North Bulldogs. For the Lobos, a 42-0 win over rivalry Lufkin has Longview riding high. Despite having their game cut in half against Tyler Legacy, the Lobos showed no fatigued outside of the first drive of the contest. After that, Longview used a stiffling defense and massive special teams play to give their offense great field position to dominate the Panthers all night long. The Tigers saw North jump out to a 21-0 lead, and while they climbed back into the contest, losing star back Kewan Lacy at the start of the fourth quarter really dimmed any hope of completing the comeback. Tiger Stadium will be the 122nd stadium Longview will have played in in their long, storied history.

WEEK FOUR RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Lancaster 21 McKinney North 28
Lufkin 0 Longview 42
Tyler 21 North Mesquite 6
West Mesquite 0 Forney 69

WEEK FIVE 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Longview at Lancaster
ForneyLufkin
McKinney North at Tyler (Thursday)
North Mesquite vs. West Mesquite

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS:
1st. Forney (4-0, 1-0)
2nd. Tyler (4-0, 1-0)
3rd. Longview (3-1, 1-0)
4th. McKinney North (3-1, 1-0)
5th. Lufkin (3-1, 0-1)
6th. West Mesquite (2-2, 0-1)
7th. Lancaster (1-3, 0-1)
8th. North Mesquite (1-3, 0-1)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW:
Last game - Humble Kingwood Park defeated Baytown Sterling, 34-7. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill defeated Crosby, 49-34. La Porte defeated Baytown Lee, 48-20. Port Arthur Memorial defeated New Caney Porter, 45-28. Baytown Goose Creek Memorial is off.
This week - Baytown Goose Creek Memorial plays Baytown Lee. Humble Kingwood Park hosts Crosby. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill hosts La Porte. Port Arthur Memorial hosts Baytown Sterling. New Caney Porter is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 3-1 (1-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (214-46 in 20 seasons) (Playoffs: 49-18)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 773-357-52 (Playoffs: 78-45-1)
Playoff Appearances: 48
Last Playoff Appearance: 2022, Class 5A Division I State Semi-Final
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.24 - at McKinney - Loss 23-21
09.01 - at Marshall - Win 48-7
09.08 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 28-7 (Half Game)
09.15 - vs Lufkin - Win 42-0
09.22 - at Lancaster
10.06 - at Forney
10.13 - vs North Mesquite
10.20 - at McKinney North
10.27 - vs Tyler
11.03 - at West Mesquite

LANCASTER TIGERS
Record: 1-3 (0-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Leon Paul (20-8 in 3 seasons) (Playoffs: 2-2)
First Year of Football: 1919
All-Time Record: 528-443-30 (Playoffs: 26-26-0)
Playoff Appearances: 27
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (1): 2012 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.25 - at Dallas Skyline - Win 28-14
09.01 - at Dallas South Oak Cliff - Loss 42-21
09.08 - vs Denton Guyer - Loss 28-20
09.14 - at McKinney North - Loss 28-21
09.22 - vs Longview
10.06 - vs Tyler
10.13 - at Forney
10.20 - vs West Mesquite
10.27 - at North Mesquite
11.03 - vs Lufkin

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 22nd
In 1916, Mineola defeated Longview 18-0 with three second half touchdowns.
In 1922, Geno McCreary tallied two touchdown runs to knock off Pittsburg, 13-6, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1926, Marshall dominated Longview, 46-0, at Fair Park in Marshall.
In 1930, Weidman returned a fumble 6-yards for a touchdown as the Mavericks dominated Longview, 31-0, in Marshall.
In 1939, Longview defeated Dallas Adamson, 2-0, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1944, Alvin Griffith tallied three touchdowns as Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson rolled the Lobos, 41-0, in Port Arthur.
In 1950, Sonny Jones rushed for two scores and the Lobos defeated Nacogdoches, 13-0, at Lobo Stadium. The Dragons were held to 122 total yards.
In 1961, Charles Brockwell hauled in a 13-yard pass reception for a score in the only score of the game of the Lobos as Shreveport Byrd knocked off the Lobos, 21-8, at State Fair Stadium. Two 85-yard rushes in the second half gave the Jackets the victory.
In 1967, Ralph Blount kicked two field goals while Gregg, Sistrunk and Rodney Hill tallied touchdowns in a 27-13 Longview victory over Houston North Forest at Jones-Cowart Stadium. Longview threw for 211 yards on the night.
In 1972, Larry Harkless rushed for three touchdowns as the Lobos rushed for over 400 yards in a 38-25 victory over Dallas Hillcrest at Lobo Stadium.
In 1978, Sam Lanier and Victor McGee rushed for touchdowns for the Lobos but George Legiato’s touchdown with 52 seconds and the missed extra point gave the Lobos and Killeen Kangaroos a 13-13 tie at Leo Buckley Stadium. Longview finished with negative 2 yards passing on the night.
In 1989, Ernest Hunter rushed for three touchdowns and 140 yards as the Lobos rolled Galveston Ball, 49-7, at Lobo Stadium. Longview rushed for 426 yards on the night.
In 1995, Isiah Stoker rushed for three scores, including a 60-yarder in the third quarter, as Longview defeated Texas High 29-12 at Grim Park in Texarkana.
In 2000, LaRandall McKind and Joel Armstrong rushed for scores for the Lobos in a 33-14 beat down by Monroe Ouachita on the Lobos at Lion Stadium. Longview threw for 229 yards on the night.
In 2007, Johnny Garrett rushed in from 7 yards out in the final two minutes of the game to lift Longview to a 24-20 victory over John Curtis on national television. Mark Johnson rushed for two scores on the night.
In 2017, Mesquite Horn put up 549 yards of offense on the Lobos, becoming the second ever DFW team to score 50 points on the Lobos as the Jags knocked off Longview, 52-34. The second half turned for the Lobos, as Haynes King would become the starting quarterback of the Lobos from there on, throwing for over 260 yards on the night.

lobohowl2.GIF
Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lion7000 said:

On the surface looks like a mismatch then you see who they lost to and played well against. This should be great and technically could decide the District championship. I am assuming this is your biggest challenge. 

I'm still convinced Forney is our biggest challenge. They haven't played anyone with a pulse but...man. They've just been so efficient and so impressive. And we have to go to a stadium we've never been to.

Fleener will have those boys ready to play that first weekend of October.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VonG said:

Before the season I picked Lancaster to win this district. Now that we are 4 games in. I've seen enough. Longview wins with no problem. 

Played some big boy games and played them close. I wouldn’t be so confident. However, Longview is a big boy program in their own regard.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think we are giving Lancaster too much grace right now. They are not a playoff team right now. but I know Tyler and lufkin gotta show they can beat them which I think both of us can. 

my projections for now. 

1. Longview

2. Forney

3. Tyler

4. McKinney North

5. Lufkin

6. Lancaster

7. West Mesquite

8. North Mesquite

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean y'all just struggled with North Mesquite lol

You were same person that thought we would get drove by Mesquite horn lol. And Lancaster is 1-3 and about to be 1-4 but go off lol. If we were 1-3 we would’ve been told we’re the worst team in the district lmao. Lancaster will be 1-4 when they play us and still people will think they are the second best team lmao. 1-6 will be coming there way in 2 weeks.

Edited by NODAYSOFFTX