Vandal2106

Van vs Aubrey  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Van
    • Aubrey

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, squidward tortellini said:

Sulphur Springs would be cool. I like that their stadium doesn’t have a track. It’s also pretty close to halfway and Aubrey folks won’t have to drive through as much of the metroplex.

Very good idea. That would work for both teams!

• Like 1

Gilmer will handel Aubrey easily. Van had to many penalties and intercepions and fumbles giving Aubrey really short field to many times. Not sure about the offensive play calling tonight either. Oh well maybe next year Vandals! Oh yea Aubreys quarterback also was their starting defensive end and punter.

51 minutes ago, longhorn said:

Gilmer will handel Aubrey easily. Van had to many penalties and intercepions and fumbles giving Aubrey really short field to many times. Not sure about the offensive play calling tonight either. Oh well maybe next year Vandals! Oh yea Aubreys quarterback also was their starting defensive end and punter.

The interception Aubrey returned was pretty fortunate for Aubrey. However, Aubrey forced the fumble, and the second interception was on 4th down (Aubrey returned it about 10 yards past the line of scrimmage). Most of Van’s mistakes were caused by Aubrey. Aubrey also had a 50 yard touchdown called back, and Van’s touchdown late in the 4th was largely due to Aubrey penalties.

The ball probably bounced Aubrey’s way a few more times, but I thought the officials were pretty fair and Aubrey was clearly the better team tonight.

Based on Gilmer’s schedule results and what people have said on here about their defense, I think Aubrey has a shot. The matchup seems very similar to the Aubrey vs Center game last year - Aubrey has multiple good backs that I think Gilmer will have trouble stopping. Aubrey will obviously have a hard time stopping Gilmer, but I think Gilmer is more likely to turn the ball over.

Based on the 2021 Gilmer team dismantling Celina after Celina dismantled what was probably Aubrey’s best team ever, Aubrey has no shot.

Edited by squidward tortellini

1 hour ago, longhorn said:

Yes but after that Gilmer will get it handed to them whether it be Carthage or Pg. 

15 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

Yes but after that Gilmer will get it handed to them whether it be Carthage or Pg. 

Hate to agree with you, but I think you are right.

Gilmer will have a snowball's chance in hell against Carthage or PG.

That Carthage vs. PG game should be a darn good game. If any of you are close, I would encourage you to show up and support East Texas High School Football and go to this game.

It's going to be a good one and will likely decide who wins State in 4A D2.

13 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

Hate to agree with you, but I think you are right.

Gilmer will have a snowball's chance in hell against Carthage or PG.

That Carthage vs. PG game should be a darn good game. If any of you are close, I would encourage you to show up and support East Texas High School Football and go to this game.

It's going to be a good one and will likely decide who wins State in 4A D2.

I really think that if Gilmer doesn’t come out and play bal then Aubrey will win. I’m pulling for Gilmer. I do think Carthage will shut Pg down though even though they are loaded with seniors. What year did the LE qb go over to pg? Do you know? I’ve watched a few of their games and can tell he is their main squeeze. 

43 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

I really think that if Gilmer doesn’t come out and play bal then Aubrey will win. I’m pulling for Gilmer. I do think Carthage will shut Pg down though even though they are loaded with seniors. What year did the LE qb go over to pg? Do you know? I’ve watched a few of their games and can tell he is their main squeeze. 

I agree with you, Carthage will grind PG down and win.

The kid PG has at QB came from LE when he was in 9th or 10th grade, I can't remember. He's been hurt and had injuries every year that he has been at PG. As far as I remember this is the first season that he has played the entire season without missing a lot of games due to injury. He's a heck of an athlete, but not a QB. They just put him back there and let him go, he's that good of an athlete, and has a good football IQ.....

1 hour ago, Unbiased1 said:

Aubrey controlled the line of scrimmage defensively all night. Van just didn’t play well period. While Aubrey is a good football team, they cannot win a race with Gilmer. Hate to see Van’s season end with that effort. 

Can Gilmer stop Aubrey though? I’m genuinely asking - haven’t seen Gilmer all year, I’ve just heard their defense is really bad.

With the athletes Gilmer has, I assume they have some guys that can cover. So that leads me to believe that Gilmer is more susceptible to a running team.

If Gilmer has tackling problems, they will really struggle with Aubrey’s leading rusher who is a physical runner. I think he was Aubrey’s leading rusher last year too, but he was hurt during the game against Center.

Edited by squidward tortellini

1 hour ago, squidward tortellini said:

Can Gilmer stop Aubrey though? I’m genuinely asking - haven’t seen Gilmer all year, I’ve just heard their defense is really bad.

With the athletes Gilmer has, I assume they have some guys that can cover. So that leads me to believe that Gilmer is more susceptible to a running team.

If Gilmer has tackling problems, they will really struggle with Aubrey’s leading rusher who is a physical runner. I think he was Aubrey’s leading rusher last year too, but he was hurt during the game against Center.

Aubrey just needs to play Aubrey ball. Long sustained drives that eat the clock and result in 7 points.  Get a few stops or turnovers on D, and keep the score low.  Limit the mistakes and pre-snap penalties.  Gilmer is likely going to break some long plays and score quickly.  That’s just a given.  But the Aubrey offense can be the best defense by keeping Gilmer offense on the sideline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squidward tortellini said:

Gilmer is a lot more athletic than Van. I think their defense is good enough to get a couple of stops and/or generate a turnover. Their defense has struggled with the run, especially when teams can run a zone read with an athletic QB. Van only had 40 yards rushing the entire game. Gilmer has a RB that is arguably one of the most explosive backs in 4a. He can torch any defense if he gets to the second level. I’m not trying to dog the Van kids, but just a poor effort all the way around with the turnovers and penalties. Aubrey will have to show they can throw the ball to stay in this game. Gilmer can score too fast throwing or running. It’s not so much I think they just shut Aubrey down, I just do not think Aubrey can score as consistently as Gilmer. 

20 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

Gilmer is a lot more athletic than Van. I think their defense is good enough to get a couple of stops and/or generate a turnover. Their defense has struggled with the run, especially when teams can run a zone read with an athletic QB. Van only had 40 yards rushing the entire game. Gilmer has a RB that is arguably one of the most explosive backs in 4a. He can torch any defense if he gets to the second level. I’m not trying to dog the Van kids, but just a poor effort all the way around with the turnovers and penalties. Aubrey will have to show they can throw the ball to stay in this game. Gilmer can score too fast throwing or running. It’s not so much I think they just shut Aubrey down, I just do not think Aubrey can score as consistently as Gilmer. 

Not doubting Gilmer’s athleticism/ability to score quickly at all - I think it’s very possible that Gilmer wins by a significant margin. However, I also think Aubrey has a decent chance of forcing a turnover and then executing some long drives and controlling the clock.

The first game of the year, Aubrey lost to Sunnyvale by 3, but Aubrey has improved significantly since then, and I think Aubrey’s style of play is better suited against Gilmer (obviously I may be wrong).

29 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Aubrey just needs to play Aubrey ball. Long sustained drives that eat the clock and result in 7 points.  Get a few stops or turnovers on D, and keep the score low.  Limit the mistakes and pre-snap penalties.  Gilmer is likely going to break some long plays and score quickly.  That’s just a given.  But the Aubrey offense can be the best defense by keeping Gilmer offense on the sideline.

Exactly