Mavchamp

Texarkana Vs. Marshall  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blowout
    • Texas High in a close one
    • Texas High in a close one

Marshall is not any faster than JT or LV. The difference in those two teams games against THS was the ability of their quarterbacks to run with the ball while effectively faking to their running backs. The quarterback that Marshall had last year was that type of QB but he was not as good a player as the JT and LV QBs. I have not seen those ball handling and running abilities in the Marshall QBs this year. I'll give you Marshall boys a tip. Play Franklin at QB and I will guarentee a Mav victory. Like I said, Marshall, IMHO, is not as good of a team as they were last year. Franklin and Co. had better be at their best because THS is going to surprise you. Gomer Pyle says, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!!! A young THS team has matured and if Marshall does not play a big game on the defensive side of the ball, then its going to be a long night for the Mavs. By the way, even IF the Mavs should win, my spaceship will be there until the end of the game. Aliens do not have tails to tuck between their legs and run. But a flea bag steer does. Beam me up Scotty! :notworthy: :alien: :notworthy:

Our Qb this year is no Darius Jones, but who is? He is more dangerous to good defenses though. A good defense could go all out against the run and contain us. This years qb will keep defenses honest, and therefor make it difficult to shut us down. He is a true Qb that also has good speed. He isn't keeping the ball very much this year on the zone read, but he will keep it and outrun many defenders when you least expect it. We also have our wild mav Qb that can break it for a big gain on any play when we need it. I do think we are a better overall team this year than last. Offense is averaging just as much if not more points a game than last, Including much more passing yards. Secondary is just about the same as last year. D line is young and probably not quite to last year status yet, but our Lb's are probably the best in the district and do a good job of helping out the young line. There are some spots that are weaker than last year, but its the areas of improvement since then that has us better at this point in the season. Also, we had so many talented guys out with injury late in the year. We are in much better shape right now, knock on wood.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall's curent QB isn't Darius Jones, but he is something Jones WASN'T: a PASSING QB.

Jones was a decoy at QB more often than not. His passing yards were a fraction of what Fitzgerald has so far this season.

Having a REAL passing game is what makes the Mav offense better than it was last season. In '08 it went something like this: STOP DARIUS, STOP THE MAVS. And so it went.

This year...... it's more diverse.

Fitzgerald is 51-104 for 812 total yards with 3 games remaining. He's the #2 passer in the district behind SS's Lee. Darius was not much of a threat to throw last year.

Jamal Anderson (556), JC Haigwood (356), and a couple of others are keeping the running game going. That "other" category has racked up more than 700 yards combined. Meaning.... who will get the ball can drive a defense crazy.

This years offense for Marshall is significantly better than it was last year. 351 total yards a game shows that.

Defense has been Marshall's downfall, but not so much run defense.

13-4A's defenses on average have given up 1202 yards rushing. Marshall has given up 1,194. That is BELOW the district average. The Mavs are #4 in Rush defense. Head of Texas High, Hallsville, and PT.

Defensive weakness? Through the air.....by a LONG shot. Mavs have given up 1882 in passing. B y far more than anyone else in the district. Ths district gives up an average of 1,022 through the air. Needless to say, the Mav defense has been torched through the air.

Stats dont win games....but those stats exist for a reason....because of trends happening on the field.

I think for Texas High to beat Marshall......they will have to use Sorensen's arm to do it.... and mix it with the run. I'm just not sure the Tigers will be able to smashmout their way to a win like Longview did. I could be wrong.

Marshall will #1 have to hold on to the ball. #2 keep the Tiger offense on the sidelines, #3 play solid pass defense when Sorenson is out there.

Both defenses have shown to have fatal flaws. Texas High struggled to stop Longview just as Marshall did. This is going to come down to who's offense is clicking best come Friday.

The Mavs have the talent to win it......and they are healthy unlike last year's game in Texarkana.

Big game.....the winner takes firm control of their destiny as the #2 team, while the loser could be left battling for #3/#4. Both have good teams left on their schedule.

Marshall and Sulphur Springs

Texas High and Hallsville

neither are gimmies for any of them.

And for the record...... Steers dont get fleas. Apparently your black hole of a mouth couldn't get in touch with that out of this world brain of yours or you would have known that. And I'm a "city guy".

I think there's a HUGE chance that this district will have a 3 way tie for 2nd. Texas High-Marshall-Sulphur Springs.

I agree.

If Hallsville pulls off an upset or two it could be a 4 way tie.

I may be disallusioned, and Texas High may set me straight tonight, but I think there is no clear-cut favorite after Longview.

Now....if they Tigers beat us down tonight.....I will have other thoughts.

All of this talk about Darius Jones last year in that Texas High game is trash. Fitzgerald played at least half of that game at QB. Flashback to last year... Darius Jones went down in week 3 or 4 last year with an injury to his ankle. He was mainly used as a decoy at WR to add a "speed threat" to the outside or they would put him at QB when they wanted to run with him. Fitzgerald stepped in and ran our offense smoothly last year. His zone reads were good and have improved tremendously this year. To think that Fitzgerald is a step down from Darius Jones is just trash. Dogon, if we beat Texas High in a clean game, I will have a bowl of crow sitting right here for you to come back and eat :)

Marshall evidently has great speed. However, Texas High has played John Tyler & Longview. Not sure the speed advantage will be something we haven't seen before.

Longview had a hard time adjusting to Marshall's speed until the 3rd quarter. The depth, power, heart and 5 turnovers is what killed Marshall against the Lobos.

I may be disallusioned, and Texas High may set me straight tonight, but I think there is no clear-cut favorite after Longview.

I agree with that is a 3 tier district. Tier 1 -Longview, Tier 2 - Texas High, Marshall, Sulphur Springs, Hallsville, & Tier 3 - Mt Pleasant and Pine Tree.

The only way I see a 4 way tie is Mt Pleasant beats SS or Marshall.

I agree with that is a 3 tier district. Tier 1 -Longview, Tier 2 - Texas High, Marshall, Sulphur Springs, Hallsville, & Tier 3 - Mt Pleasant and Pine Tree.

The only way I see a 4 way tie is Mt Pleasant beats SS or Marshall.

Hallsville at the top of that tier 3. They are not in the same tier as Texas High Marshall and Sulphur Springs

Hallsville at the top of that tier 3. They are not in the same tier as Texas High Marshall and Sulphur Springs

I guess it depends on what you base the "tiers" on. Over the past 4 years or so, its been the same 5 teams fighting for playoff spots. Tx High, Marshall and Lview have all shown that they can do whatever is needed to get there. Hallsville is always in the mix fighting for one of those spots. This year, they are not quite to that level, but most years they can compete.

Guest Sideliner
I dont think Longview had any problems with Marshalls speed.

Then why were their db's burned for four touchdowns. I will answer for ya. SPEED!