• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham Falls to Carthage, 13-12

<H3 class=author>KAUZ Sports

</H3>Story Created: Dec 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM CST

Story Updated: Dec 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM CST

All season long, the one Achilles' Heel that opponents had found in the Graham Steers was in the kicking game. Graham did not convert a field goal all season and missed several extra points.

And Saturday night at Ford Stadium in Dallas, it finally came back to bite them.

Trailing 13-0 at halftime, the Steers scored a pair of second-half touchdowns, but missed the extra point after the first and failed on a two point conversion attempt after the second, coming with 1:22 remaining in the game.

I remember it (kicking game)was a factor in the Pitt game, also. They had the advantage on special teams over Graham.

I think both Defenses showed up Big time, and Carthage came out on top. Graham played closer than I would've thought, and it must've been something to see. I was not far away, but couldn't get out in time to get there. Boy, I wish I had!

Congrats to both teams on getting there, but especially to the Bulldogs on their historic season of 16-0 and back-to-back titles!

Just curious, now that we won back to back state championships, can we say that Carthage has an awesome team, awesome Coaches, and had an awesome year? or is that being arrogant? or cocky? or the many other things we've been called...

Go ahead, your team and coaches have EARNED it! :notworthy:

Now, if I, or anyone else from my town were to say that same thing about our team........ :hmm: ........we would definitely be accused of those things. :no: Oh, well........we're of a kindred spirit. We're all from East Texas! :hug:

:happy65: Good job, 'Dawgs! Way to finish!

I'm just hoping we now lose the title 'baseball school'!

It will take more than two or three good seasons in football to get rid of that moniker. Carthage has been consistently good in baseball for 2 decades that I know of and possibly 3 but i'm not familiar with the baseball program in the 80s

One thing I just dont get about Grahams decision on the extra point. Kicking was out of the question, and everyone in the stadium knew that. Including a more than stingy Carthage defense. Why have your UT commit off the field for the most important play of the season? Carthage probably still would have stopped him, just not a wise coaching decision in my opinion.

One thing I just dont get about Grahams decision on the extra point. Kicking was out of the question, and everyone in the stadium knew that. Including a more than stingy Carthage defense. Why have your UT commit off the field for the most important play of the season? Carthage probably still would have stopped him, just not a wise coaching decision in my opinion.

We in Graham are wondering the same thing. A pass/run option had a chance.... running a trick play that you haven't run all year has little chance. I still say if Graham would have made the 2 pt. conversion, it would have been real interesting to see what would have happened when Carthage got the ball back! (last post, I have to get back to a real life)