Blown perfect game... by the umpire

h-town12

HOWEVER ... I am willing to compromise ONLY if a future MLB instant replay policy is similar to that of the NHL’s – where an “eye in the sky” (in a location other than the ballpark -- MLB offices in New York?) would CALL DOWN to the crew chief & say, “you might want to look at this” in special situations like last night.

I DO NOT want flags on the field & I DO NOT want x-amount of "challenges" per game. The less interference with the flow of the game, the better...

yes i like that way as well..though the NFL way is not even thatbig of a deal anymore.

and FLOW of a baseball game? LOL..yea i love the "flow" of the batter stepping out, the pitcher stepping of the rubber, time outs, stoppage in play..there is no flow lol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i like that way as well..though the NFL way is not even thatbig of a deal anymore.

and FLOW of a baseball game? LOL..yea i love the "flow" of the batter stepping out, the pitcher stepping of the rubber, time outs, stoppage in play..there is no flow lol

I have to agree with CoachBennett. When has there ever been a flow at a baseball game. It's always been starting and stopping, and throwing over to first base, spitting out a sunflower seed or what not. There was a protest by the Yankees on the supposed "flow" of the game. There isn't one.

No bad call has EVER lead DIRECTLY to a team losing a title.

Instant replay would breed lazy umpires ... might as well just let computers judge the game ... the gaming era fan's ### dream! :w00t:

I do believe you are wrong. Take a look at the 1985 World Series between KC and the Cardinals

I have to agree with CoachBennett. When has there ever been a flow at a baseball game. It's always been starting and stopping, and throwing over to first base, spitting out a sunflower seed or what not. There was a protest by the Yankees on the supposed "flow" of the game. There isn't one.

You guys just miss the point of the game completely...while the waiting might seem boring and slow to a lot of people, that is what makes the game great. It's the anticipation of the guy getting a clutch base hit or working out of a bases loaded situation, or Galaragga pitching a perfect game until the 27th batter...

You guys just miss the point of the game completely...while the waiting might seem boring and slow to a lot of people, that is what makes the game great. It's the anticipation of the guy getting a clutch base hit or working out of a bases loaded situation, or Galaragga pitching a perfect game until the 27th batter...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

where was I complaining? I am one who does not care if a game goes 2 hrs or 4hrs..and I dont think adding replay ruins any flow..because IMO baseball has no real flow..and that is the greatness of it.

A truly perfect game would be one where the pitcher never threw a ball outside the strike zone! Perfect games are just for statistical purposes and record books that become useless trivial knowledge at some point.

The real story here is about amazing sportsmanship, being a real man (both Joyce and Galarraga), admitting mistakes, and moving on.

The sun came up this morning! Galarraga even got a new shiny red Corvette! BTW, Gerald Laird caught for the Tigers today and he said Joyce had a great game! A true professional!

where was I complaining? I am one who does not care if a game goes 2 hrs or 4hrs..and I dont think adding replay ruins any flow..because IMO baseball has no real flow..and that is the greatness of it.

The flow would be when runners are on base, and a play is reviewed. If the play was originally an out and is overturned, what happens to the runners? In football it's easy just to replay the down, it's all little bit more complicated than that in baseball with runners in motion.

If you overturn a fly out, how many bases do you award the batter?

Too many variables in baseball to have widespread replay IMO.

The flow would be when runners are on base, and a play is reviewed. If the play was originally an out and is overturned, what happens to the runners? In football it's easy just to replay the down, it's all little bit more complicated than that in baseball with runners in motion.

If you overturn a fly out, how many bases do you award the batter?

Too many variables in baseball to have widespread replay IMO.

IMO it would not effect the runners at all

lets say 2 on no outs..ball hit in the gap..both runs score the hitter tries for a double and is called safe..they review it and he is out...since not the end of the inning everyone else is not affected by the actual call...flip and he was called out but is safe...still same thing

So unless the baserunner is directly involved I dont think it will be that big of an issue

I do believe you are wrong. Take a look at the 1985 World Series between KC and the Cardinals

I am very familiar with the 1985 World Series, thank you :D

Don Denkinger' blown call did not lead DIRECTLY to the Royals' 1985 Championship. It started a "chain reaction", if you will, but that blown call is not the reason the Royals won the Series. They still had to score two runs in the 9th to win Game 6 AND win Game 7.

IMO baseball has no real flow

Perhaps "flow" was a poor choice of words ... although I do believe Baseball has a unique & subtle "flow" to it (a discussion for another day) ... I was thinking more of disrupting a pitcher's rhythm (flow and rhythm go together, eh?). I would hate to see a long delay ruin a solid pitching performance.

Bud Selig should grant the appeal and award the perfect game. This is why protests are allowed in baseball for all the purists out there.
Protests are allowed only when the interpretation of the rules is involved, not for judgment calls that are disagreed with.

PROTESTING GAMES.

Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire’s decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final.

Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game.

I am very familiar with the 1985 World Series, thank you :D

Don Denkinger' blown call did not lead DIRECTLY to the Royals' 1985 Championship. It started a "chain reaction", if you will, but that blown call is not the reason the Royals won the Series. They still had to score two runs in the 9th to win Game 6 AND win Game 7.

Perhaps "flow" was a poor choice of words ... although I do believe Baseball has a unique & subtle "flow" to it (a discussion for another day) ... I was thinking more of disrupting a pitcher's rhythm (flow and rhythm go together, eh?). I would hate to see a long delay ruin a solid pitching performance.

This is how I look at it..if a call is close enough for a replay than most likely he manager will be out to discuss..in that time they could have a replay viewed by an eye in the sky and the verdict sent down

This is how I look at it..if a call is close enough for a replay than most likely he manager will be out to discuss..in that time they could have a replay viewed by an eye in the sky and the verdict sent down

As long as there are no flags on the field or "challenges", I could live with that.

I know most of you guys roll your eyes at the mere mention of the NHL, but someone in Toronto is watching every game & every goal gets a quick review. If every MLB game is being watched by someone, I agree ... the time that a manager and/or player argues a controversial play allows plenty of time for an "eye in the sky" to "call down".

As long as there are no flags on the field or "challenges", I could live with that.

I know most of you guys roll your eyes at the mere mention of the NHL, but someone in Toronto is watching every game & every goal gets a quick review. If every MLB game is being watched by someone, I agree ... the time that a manager and/or player argues a controversial play allows plenty of time for an "eye in the sky" to "call down".

I also dont have a problem with each team getting a challenge..the manager simply would go out to argue the play and be able to say I would like to see it replayed

I see no problem with things being left alone....if it ain't broke, don't fix it........don't ruin a great game just because a few malcontents are trying to seek perfection....

Yea people are malcontents for wanting to always improve something to make it better.

Yea people are malcontents for wanting to always improve something to make it better.

Don't take it personally...I was referring to Hannity, Olberman, and Mike and Mike.......I should have clarified that.....but yes, they are malcontents...not contented with the way things are, they will seek perfection but will never be able to achieve it because we are imperfect humans.....BUT in seeking perfection, they will change the game to something we won't even recognize in a while........

Don't take it personally...I was referring to Hannity, Olberman, and Mike and Mike.......I should have clarified that.....but yes, they are malcontents...not contented with the way things are, they will seek perfection but will never be able to achieve it because we are imperfect humans.....BUT in seeking perfection, they will change the game to something we won't even recognize in a while........

ic what ur saying..and yes it is a balance of changing to much to seek perfection, problem is you can go to th opposite where your allowing the imperfections THAT CAN BE CHANGED hurt the end product

When I saw the replay for the first time, my jaw dropped. How in the world could he have made THAT call. He wasn't even close to being safe. That was the single worst thing I had ever witnessed in baseball.

ic what ur saying..and yes it is a balance of changing to much to seek perfection, problem is you can go to th opposite where your allowing the imperfections THAT CAN BE CHANGED hurt the end product

If it hasn't hurt the game in over 150 years, I don't think it's going to hurt it any time soon.....