Life After Romo Retires/finds a New Team

Stafford is another Romo, and will never lead a team to the Super Bowl. They are too similar to even consider. I think we need to draft a solid quarterback, and as Gosselin points out, they have only drafted two quarterbacks/three if you count Isaiah Stanback who they switched to receiver. Last I heard Stanback was a personal trainer in Dallas now. I think you don't have to draft a quarterback in the first round for them to be successful, but they should have someone training in the wings.

Stafford is another Romo, and will never lead a team to the Super Bowl. They are too similar to even consider. I think we need to draft a solid quarterback, and as Gosselin points out, they have only drafted two quarterbacks/three if you count Isaiah Stanback who they switched to receiver. Last I heard Stanback was a personal trainer in Dallas now. I think you don't have to draft a quarterback in the first round for them to be successful, but they should have someone training in the wings.

I agree, they both have demonstrated a knack for finding ways to lose big games. At some point, JJ is going to regret not drafting one of the young franchise qbs and at least getting him into the system. All NFL QBs are one play away from a career ending injury, Romo closer than most ..

I had to do it lol, the Redskins pretty much left the blueprint of what to never do...Well them and Ditka with the Aints when they gave away their draft for Ricky Williams.

He wasn't going to last very long with his style of play in the NFL. Too awakward and injury prone

Please tell me on the last 10 years drafting in the middle of the round what young franchise Qb their was to draft?

It's not that easy

Tom Brady was a 5th rounder, Aaron Rodgers 1st round 24th pick, Russell Wilson 3rd Round, Drew Brees 2nd Round, and Joe Flacco 1st Round 18th draft pick, Those are players that I would have as my starter. There are some that were drafted in the top 10 that I wouldn't want. Some might add Andy Dalton who was a 2nd rounder, but I don't think he's that great. He's good, but not great.

Tom Brady was a 5th rounder, Aaron Rodgers 1st round 24th pick, Russell Wilson 3rd Round, Drew Brees 2nd Round, and Joe Flacco 1st Round 18th draft pick, Those are players that I would have as my starter. There are some that were drafted in the top 10 that I wouldn't want. Some might add Andy Dalton who was a 2nd rounder, but I don't think he's that great. He's good, but not great.

Franchise QBs don't HAVE to be 1st round picks, but waiting until the later rounds isn't the answer 95% of the time. Brady is an extreme exception. Waiting until the 5th or later round to go after a QB or recycling retreads like JJ is doing is a recipe for failure in my opinion. The Cowboys will be behind the 8 ball when/if Romo goes down again probably for a season ending injury ...

^

Oxymoron

My point exactly! woul

People need to understand that we had more needs that were just as important. The picks we made seem to be spot on. Dallas is still looking at qb's and I am sure they will hit on one but there is no need to draft a qb high for the sake of doing it. Maybe a couple of them would work out here. I doubt that it would have been smart to get one without other things being in place. It's hard enough to win even with a much better qb like we have in Romo. I still am not sure all the fuss. Romo has been hurt pretty bad over the years. And he will heal slower as he gets older. But his play is still at a superior level. My point would be that EVERY team is just one play from losing their starting qb. Dallas is no different. Dallas still has capable backups and will continue to look for others. We may find our heir in Free Agency or even trade.

Franchise QBs don't HAVE to be 1st round picks, but waiting until the later rounds isn't the answer 95% of the time. Brady is an extreme exception. Waiting until the 5th or later round to go after a QB or recycling retreads like JJ is doing is a recipe for failure in my opinion. The Cowboys will be behind the 8 ball when/if Romo goes down again probably for a season ending injury ...

Brady is the only exception in the NFL now. Thinking back in the past Johnny Unitas wasn't drafted until the 9th round, Bart Starr 17th round, Roger Staubach in the 10th, Joe Montana 3rd, Kurt Warner undrafted signed as a free agent with Green Bay but was quickly released, Mark Brunnell 5th round, and of course Romo undrafted. They can be found, but you have to look under a lot of rocks. We've seen how Cleveland has been so inept with quarterbacks in the first round. So I'm not saying it can't be done. We've seen a lot of 1st rounders that were complete busts.

In the past 20 years, we should have at least drafted more than two quarterbacks with the revolving door we've seen from Aikman to Romo. I didn't expect much from Quincy Carter after reading his hands were too small. We've simply been using retreads as replacements. I actually think if Cassel plays well in the next two games that Weeden is out.

Brady is the only exception in the NFL now. Thinking back in the past Johnny Unitas wasn't drafted until the 9th round, Bart Starr 17th round, Roger Staubach in the 10th, Joe Montana 3rd, Kurt Warner undrafted signed as a free agent with Green Bay but was quickly released, Mark Brunnell 5th round, and of course Romo undrafted. They can be found, but you have to look under a lot of rocks. We've seen how Cleveland has been so inept with quarterbacks in the first round. So I'm not saying it can't be done. We've seen a lot of 1st rounders that were complete busts.

In the past 20 years, we should have at least drafted more than two quarterbacks with the revolving door we've seen from Aikman to Romo. I didn't expect much from Quincy Carter after reading his hands were too small. We've simply been using retreads as replacements. I actually think if Cassel plays well in the next two games that Weeden is out.

This will be the last year with the Cowboys for either Weeden or Cassel. They will not keep both for next season. We will either see a younger Free Agent or another draft pick next year.

Dallas has had too many holes to waste a 1st round pick on a guy who is not going to be on the field.

From 1999 - 2007 it wouldn't have hurt. All we drafted was Quincy Carter with a pick under round 3 ????? Drew Bledsoe was on the downside of his career when he was released by the Bills. He did have a decent season in 2005 throwing for 3639 yards, but he only threw 23 touchdowns with 17 int's. I think you always need to have a young gun in the wings waiting. Tom Landry always had one with LeBaron/Meredith (3rd Rounder), Meredith/Morton (1st rounder), Morton/Staubach, Staubach/Longley (1st round supplemental), Staubach/White (3rd Round), White/Carano (2nd round went to USFL), White/Hogeboom (5th round), White/Pelluer (5th round), Pelluer/White, and then it went down hill.

Jerry has shown since Aikman was around that he wasn't going to have a quarterback competition. Steve Beuerlein, Rodney Peete, Bernie Kosar, Jason Garrett, and Wade Wilson were all pickups. Since Jerry has taken over the team, the Cowboys have only selected Aikman, Steve Walsh, Bill Musgrave, Quincy Carter, and Stephen McGee in 27 years.

Going back Dallas drafted Lowden Shingler in the 12th round 1962, 1962 2nd round Sonny Gibbs, 1964 Billy Lothridge 6th round, Roger Staubach 10th round, Jerry Rhome 13th round, 1965 Craig Morton 1st Round, 1967 Steve Laub 8th round, Paul Brothers 16th round, 1969 Bob Beldon 12th round, 1971 Steve Goepel 12th round, 1972 Gordon Longmire 17th round, 1973 Dan Werner 8th round, 1974 Danny White 3rd round, Keith Bobo 12th round, 1976 Cornelius Greene 11th round, 1977 Glenn Carano 2nd round, Steve DeBerg 10th round, 1980 Gary Hogeboom 5th round, 1983 Reggie Collier 6th round, 1984 Steve Pelluer 5th round, 1986 Stan Gelbaugh 6th round, and 1987 Kevin Sweeney 7th round. That's 25 years.

Dallas needs to draft a couple of quarterbacks in the next two years with a 3rd round pick are higher, and I don't want Stafford running the Cowboys.

From 1999 - 2007 it wouldn't have hurt. All we drafted was Quincy Carter with a pick under round 3 ????? Drew Bledsoe was on the downside of his career when he was released by the Bills. He did have a decent season in 2005 throwing for 3639 yards, but he only threw 23 touchdowns with 17 int's. I think you always need to have a young gun in the wings waiting. Tom Landry always had one with LeBaron/Meredith (3rd Rounder), Meredith/Morton (1st rounder), Morton/Staubach, Staubach/Longley (1st round supplemental), Staubach/White (3rd Round), White/Carano (2nd round went to USFL), White/Hogeboom (5th round), White/Pelluer (5th round), Pelluer/White, and then it went down hill.

Jerry has shown since Aikman was around that he wasn't going to have a quarterback competition. Steve Beuerlein, Rodney Peete, Bernie Kosar, Jason Garrett, and Wade Wilson were all pickups. Since Jerry has taken over the team, the Cowboys have only selected Aikman, Steve Walsh, Bill Musgrave, Quincy Carter, and Stephen McGee in 27 years.

Going back Dallas drafted Lowden Shingler in the 12th round 1962, 1962 2nd round Sonny Gibbs, 1964 Billy Lothridge 6th round, Roger Staubach 10th round, Jerry Rhome 13th round, 1965 Craig Morton 1st Round, 1967 Steve Laub 8th round, Paul Brothers 16th round, 1969 Bob Beldon 12th round, 1971 Steve Goepel 12th round, 1972 Gordon Longmire 17th round, 1973 Dan Werner 8th round, 1974 Danny White 3rd round, Keith Bobo 12th round, 1976 Cornelius Greene 11th round, 1977 Glenn Carano 2nd round, Steve DeBerg 10th round, 1980 Gary Hogeboom 5th round, 1983 Reggie Collier 6th round, 1984 Steve Pelluer 5th round, 1986 Stan Gelbaugh 6th round, and 1987 Kevin Sweeney 7th round. That's 25 years.

Dallas needs to draft a couple of quarterbacks in the next two years with a 3rd round pick are higher, and I don't want Stafford running the Cowboys.

What is the Stafford remark about. I do not recall anyone on the Cowboys talking about him.