Newton vs Gunter 3A DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

NewtonNation

Who takes the title?   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 12:30 AM

4 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

I do believe this is the most hyped 3A D2 title game I've seen in a while just because of how dominant both teams have been all season. I'd say Newton has seen a tougher schedule because of their strong non-district schedule and I honestly think their road in the playoffs has been a little tougher. Just my opinion. 

I think Newton has played the tougher non-district schedule, but Gunter has played a tougher playoff schedule.  Newton's playoff opponents average 33.6 ppg and give up 18.8 ppg.  Gunter playoff opponents average 43.2 ppg and give up 18.5 ppg. 

3 minutes ago, LSUTIGERS said:

I don’t think Newton has had a tougher playoff schedule. Gunter has had Daingerfield, Holiday, & ND.

2 minutes ago, Pax said:

I think Newton has played the tougher non-district schedule, but Gunter has played a tougher playoff schedule.  Newton's playoff opponents average 33.6 ppg and give up 18.8 ppg.  Gunter playoff opponents average 43.2 ppg and give up 18.5 ppg. 

Fair assessment...... Both had rather weak districts

4 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Fair assessment...... Both had rather weak districts

Yep, pretty even (and weak) districts.  Newton's district opponents average 24.7 ppg and give up 28.3 ppg while Gunter district opponents average 23.1 ppg and give up 28.4.  Both Gunter and Newton could have won every district game by as many as they wanted. 

5 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

Nice, you see what I did there? I said one of the best and if not the best! Win-win situation 😂😂

Actually I think WR’s defense is better than Newton’s. WR held us to less yards and points....and we were healthy when we played them.

Just now, Nick2011 said:

Them boys were tough that’s for sure! Our LB’s were both beast and didn’t get much attention. They are both returning next year! 

West Rusk is moving up to Div 1, aren't they?  Did I hear that right?

5 minutes ago, LSUTIGERS said:

Actually I think WR’s defense is better than Newton’s. WR held us to less yards and points....and we were healthy when we played them.

Both had great run defenses.....Newton has a great pass defense as well,  much better than WR in my opinion. Which is why I give them the nod. It ain't like y'all tested either one through the air to find that out lol

25 minutes ago, LSUTIGERS said:

I don’t think Newton has had a tougher playoff schedule. Gunter has had Daingerfield, Holiday, & ND.

And Canadian is a better team than any of those.  Gunter had to drive the ball (and did) rather than get big chunks of yardage.  Not as many big plays against Canadian as against  other opponents.  Canadian far and away better offense than any team we played and the same last year.  Those 2 games they were the best offense out of 31 games.  We gave up 27 (though 7 came after we fumbled on our 10 yard line early) and gave up no where close to that against any other team.

Canadian a great team.  Gunter is just better.

1 minute ago, GTAlumnus said:

And Canadian is a better team than any of those.  Gunter had to drive the ball (and did) rather than get big chunks of yardage.  Not as many big plays against Canadian as against  other opponents.  Canadian far and away better offense than any team we played and the same last year.  Those 2 games they were the best offense out of 31 games.  We gave up 27 (though 7 came after we fumbled on our 10 yard line early) and gave up no where close to that against any other team.

Canadian a great team.  Gunter is just better.

I agree just forgot to put them on the list.

1 hour ago, Pax said:

I'm from Gunter.  I'm a fan of Gunter.  I've never implied otherwise.  While I wouldn't put it as eloquently as you just did, sure - I guess I'm latching onto Gunter's sack.  Though I can't help but conclude that since the only argument you have here is ad hominem in nature, you must not disagree with the actual substance of what I said. 

Don't mess with my homeboy Pax! He will beat you down with metrics and a dictionary! Pax you keep beating them up with logic and intellect! :medal:

6 hours ago, Pax said:

Yeah, not too sure what you saw that you think is glaringly obvious defensively in the ND game that makes you think Newton would have extra success.  Gunter starters were completely out of that game by the 9:27 mark of the 3rd quarter after Gunter took a 59-0 lead.  At that point, New Diana had run 28 passing plays for 56 yards and 2 interceptions and 15 running plays for 19 yards. If there's a game out there that is a demonstration that Gunter's defense could be exploited, it's not the ND game.

I was just looking at the massive voids left on the field when ND spread it out. It's the 20 yards of nothingness just past the line of scrimmage that Foster loves and he is crazy fast. I'm sure 

gt will be ready for that though. If not, Foster could have a whale of a game. Thats what I saw. No biggie.

BTW The QB for ND couldn't run out of sight in a week. 

• Thumbs Down 1