friday night football

floating the river

trot lining on the lake - or any kinda of fishing on the lake

BBQ Brisket in the back yard

Listening to music off the tailgate

Hunting anywhere in this great state

Thanking God I wasn't born a Yankee or worse yet - Califiornian

Thanking God I wasn't born a Yankee or worse yet - Califiornian

Hey now, I was born in Indiana. Tell you what I love Texas though. May not have been born here but i sure as heck got here as fast as I could. But things to see in Texas:

The state capitol.

Watch the sunset over a lake.

I think the best thing about Texas is that everyone is your neighbor. People here will bend over backwards to help another out.

You just know that when God made the world Texas was his best work. There is no other place with the beauty of this state. I think personally God's imagination can be seen all throughout Texas

1. Chicken Fried Steak at Mary's Cafe in Strawn.

2. Coconut Cream Pie at JJ's Country Store in Cotulla.

3. Swimming in the Frio River.

4. Deer Hunting in the Hill Country. Dove Hunting in West Texas.

5. Texas -OU

6. Texas -Texas A&M Halftime

7. Any Mexican food and beer in Austin.

8. Sunsets at The Oasis on Lake Travis.

9. BBQ in Lockhart.

10. Bluebonnets in Brenham.

1. Chicken Fried Steak at Mary's Cafe in Strawn.

:highfive:

Chicken fried at Mary's that is awsome somebody else knows about that place.

-------------------------

At Flossies across the street all you could eat steak for 10 dollars and a 32oz cold daddy for 2.50 and this was back around 1999.

-------------------------

And if you find yourself in Mingus Tx you better mind your manners.

1. Home and visiting with my family and friends. Any State Line sign that says Welcome to Texas. I know I'm back on the land that I love.

2. Yearly trips to Galveston, I know the water and beaches aren't pristine, but my family has gone every year. Riding the ferry over to Pt. Bolivar takes me back to being a kid, and I'm glad I passed that tradition down to my stepsons.

3. Going to Six Flags. With a stop at the Panchos in Arlington.

4. Rangers games with friends.

5. Going to Concerts with the ex-Bonehead Nation at Superpages.com Center, The Glass Cactus, The Granada, Billy Bob's, Nokia, The Majestic, and The House of Blues.

6. Camping out at Big Bend National Park, Davy Crockett State Park, Caddo Lake State Park, and just a day at Monahans Sandhills State Park and Palo Duro Canyon.

7. Swimming at Sandy Beach at Lake O' The Pines and Lake Perky.

8. Going to San Antonio to walk the sacred grounds of The Alamo, a nice dinner on The Riverwalk, then going to Sea World, and then Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

9. Playing Trivia with my friends at various places in the DFW Metroplex and Webster, TX.

10. Eating at various places that are indigenous to me.

that first night in Sept. when everybody is 0-0....the crowd is there...the band is playing for the first time.....it's still hot and muggy....but you can just feel it in the air...

the kids rush on the field...clean new uniforms....cheerleaders running in front of them...the band fires up the fight song.....

i don't care where your from...if it's not in texas...it's just not the same!

that first night in Sept. when everybody is 0-0....the crowd is there...the band is playing for the first time.....it's still hot and muggy....but you can just feel it in the air...

the kids rush on the field...clean new uniforms....cheerleaders running in front of them...the band fires up the fight song.....

:cry:

That was a great discription. I can't wait until opening weekend.

Watch the sunrise in a deer stand in the Hill Country.

Watch the sunset in a deer stand in the Hill Country.

How about watching the sunrise/sunset from your front porch in the Hill Country??

I'm so blessed! :w00t:

Brings tears to my eyes!

Wouldnt trade my upbringing for nothing, I know some have changed:

1. Bustin a waremelon that had been sitting in the freezer since morning

2. Sweating at football practice or construction work, and how good a cold shower felt, and how proud of the days work you did.

3. Riding on the front hood of the car while Daddy drove, and shooting rabbits with 22s, and nobody cared or called the cops.

4. Finding a honey hole of bream or crappie and catching one with every cast.

5. Waitng until 2 in the afternoon to eat Sunday Lunch: Fried chicken, potatoes gravy and biscuits, and fresh iced tea--you didnt drink it at every meal- so it was special. Phone didnt ring, nothing was open, so You just stayed home-- and rested.

6. Playing football or baseball with kids in the neighbohood- no adults- made our own rules-little guys got 4 strikes-not enough for a game- you played flies and skinners, or workup

7. Watching a good squirrel dog work

8. SWC football-No one cared about a national championship, just who was best in Texas-and we were the best state in football

helping your grandparents put in the garden.

stopping at the dairy queen for an ice cream cone.

getting your first driver's lesson in your grandpa's lap on an oiltop road.

coon hunting. not racoon hunting. girl from up north i went to school with wanted to go racoon hunting.

fishing and hunting. you can have a lot of fun with a cane pole and a .22.

a local barbershop. you get your weather, news, sports, politics, preaching all in one place.

• 3 weeks later...