Mineola's Nic Watkins skips senior year in HS--heads to NE Texas C.C.

Smoaky

This story on Nic Watkins of Mineola actually ran a few weeks ago, but I just received the text and wanted to put this up for everyone to read and discuss.

David Smoak

-----

By GARY EDWARDS

The Monitor Staff

They aren’t the first family to steer their teenager away from high school and toward college early but they may be the first in East Texas to do so.

One of the top high school baseball players in the area will not be returning for his senior year at Mineola High School. Nic Watkins, a three-time all-district player his freshman through junior seasons, has withdrawn from high school, will take the GED exam and has already accepted a scholarship to play baseball at Northeast Texas Community College.

He is following his dream which is a path he hopes will lead to his playing professional baseball.

It isn’t as cut-and-dried as it may appear.

“As everyone close to the Mineola baseball program probably already knows,” Nic’s father Rodney Watkins said Sunday, “we’ve had an issue with the weight program and how it relates to our son.”

“It’s important that people understand we aren’t saying the weight program at Mineola High School is wrong, we are saying it is wrong for our son,” the father said.

“My main gripe has been that it (the program) is wrong for pitchers and not necessarily anybody else. And our son is a pitcher.”

“It’s not what I think that’s important here,” the elder Watkins went on, “we have a family member who is a professional baseball player and he told us pitchers shouldn’t lift heavy weights during the season.”

“A major league scout said heavy weights and pitching do not mix” and a Tyler doctor, “Dr. Wupperman at Azalea Sports Clinic told us you cannot lift heavy weights and pitch,” Watkins said.

“I don’t have a problem with weightlifting,” Watkins went on, “it’s lifting heavy weights over their heads that I have a problem with.”

Watkins went on to say that his son was asked to lift more weight than the family felt necessary and when he was told by an

Arlington-based pitching coach who is a former major league pitcher that “if you continue to let Nic lift heavy weights it is your fault when he has to have shoulder or elbow surgery in the future,” it had an affect on Watkins.

“He chastised me for not taking care of Nic,” the father said.

Unable to reach an agreement regarding the weight program with the athletic department, the elder Watkins said he began to look at the available options.

UIL prohibits moving from one school to another for athletic reasons, he said. Tyler, Longview and Austin were all options, as were private schools in Dallas and Tyler, which do not come under UIL jurisdiction.

The younger Watkins has played select baseball in Dallas for the past six years and during that time he’s played in a number of states from California on the West Coast to Georgia and Florida on the East Coast.

“I’ve probably worn out five cars,” during that time, Watkins said.

“We felt backed into a corner, with few options,” other than Nic staying in Mineola and simply not playing high school sports, when a recent Sports Illustrated article provided them an opening they didn’t know existed.

The article was about a high school sophomore, Bryce Harper, in Las Vegas, Nevada, who may be the first athlete to forego high school by taking a GED test and moving on to junior college.

“I would never have known it could be done if Bryce Harper hadn’t done it,” Watkins said.

While the article indicates that Harper is following this path to make him eligible for the major league baseball draft in June,

Watkins said Nic’s situation is different.

The Watkins are making this move “to further his education and allow him to pursue his passion, which is baseball,” the father said.

The move hasn’t been without some stress on the Watkins. “This has been really tough on the family,” Watkins said. “My mom graduated from Mineola, Anita and I graduated from MHS and our two older children graduated from MHS and you’d be a fool not to feel like a piece of you is here.”

“We aren’t mad at the school and we will continue to support the school. Our hearts are in this school district and we’ll always be supporters of MHS, but I do think this is the best thing to do for Nic.”

Watkins went on to say the goals are for Nic to get a college education and to maximize his opportunities on the baseball field.

Like many parents who have emotional issues watching their children go off to college, Watkins said, “Yes I worry. He’s got to be a responsible person quicker in life than he normally would be.”

The 6’ 1” and 223-pound athlete is expected to play four positions in college. He has been told he will be played at third base, catcher, first base and pitcher.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story on Nic Watkins of Mineola actually ran a few weeks ago, but I just received the text and wanted to put this up for everyone to read and discuss.

David Smoak

-----

By GARY EDWARDS

The Monitor Staff

They aren't the first family to steer their teenager away from high school and toward college early but they may be the first in East Texas to do so.

One of the top high school baseball players in the area will not be returning for his senior year at Mineola High School. Nic Watkins, a three-time all-district player his freshman through junior seasons, has withdrawn from high school, will take the GED exam and has already accepted a scholarship to play baseball at Northeast Texas Community College.

He is following his dream which is a path he hopes will lead to his playing professional baseball.

It isn't as cut-and-dried as it may appear.

"As everyone close to the Mineola baseball program probably already knows," Nic's father Rodney Watkins said Sunday, "we've had an issue with the weight program and how it relates to our son."

"It's important that people understand we aren't saying the weight program at Mineola High School is wrong, we are saying it is wrong for our son," the father said.

"My main gripe has been that it (the program) is wrong for pitchers and not necessarily anybody else. And our son is a pitcher."

"It's not what I think that's important here," the elder Watkins went on, "we have a family member who is a professional baseball player and he told us pitchers shouldn't lift heavy weights during the season."

"A major league scout said heavy weights and pitching do not mix" and a Tyler doctor, "Dr. Wupperman at Azalea Sports Clinic told us you cannot lift heavy weights and pitch," Watkins said.

"I don't have a problem with weightlifting," Watkins went on, "it's lifting heavy weights over their heads that I have a problem with."

Watkins went on to say that his son was asked to lift more weight than the family felt necessary and when he was told by an

Arlington-based pitching coach who is a former major league pitcher that "if you continue to let Nic lift heavy weights it is your fault when he has to have shoulder or elbow surgery in the future," it had an affect on Watkins.

"He chastised me for not taking care of Nic," the father said.

Unable to reach an agreement regarding the weight program with the athletic department, the elder Watkins said he began to look at the available options.

UIL prohibits moving from one school to another for athletic reasons, he said. Tyler, Longview and Austin were all options, as were private schools in Dallas and Tyler, which do not come under UIL jurisdiction.

The younger Watkins has played select baseball in Dallas for the past six years and during that time he's played in a number of states from California on the West Coast to Georgia and Florida on the East Coast.

"I've probably worn out five cars," during that time, Watkins said.

"We felt backed into a corner, with few options," other than Nic staying in Mineola and simply not playing high school sports, when a recent Sports Illustrated article provided them an opening they didn't know existed.

The article was about a high school sophomore, Bryce Harper, in Las Vegas, Nevada, who may be the first athlete to forego high school by taking a GED test and moving on to junior college.

"I would never have known it could be done if Bryce Harper hadn't done it," Watkins said.

While the article indicates that Harper is following this path to make him eligible for the major league baseball draft in June,

Watkins said Nic's situation is different.

The Watkins are making this move "to further his education and allow him to pursue his passion, which is baseball," the father said.

The move hasn't been without some stress on the Watkins. "This has been really tough on the family," Watkins said. "My mom graduated from Mineola, Anita and I graduated from MHS and our two older children graduated from MHS and you'd be a fool not to feel like a piece of you is here."

"We aren't mad at the school and we will continue to support the school. Our hearts are in this school district and we'll always be supporters of MHS, but I do think this is the best thing to do for Nic."

Watkins went on to say the goals are for Nic to get a college education and to maximize his opportunities on the baseball field.

Like many parents who have emotional issues watching their children go off to college, Watkins said, "Yes I worry. He's got to be a responsible person quicker in life than he normally would be."

The 6' 1" and 223-pound athlete is expected to play four positions in college. He has been told he will be played at third base, catcher, first base and pitcher.

having had a youngster to play college baseball and was drafted by baltimore,you'd better get your education before thinking about the majors. most kids spend three to seven years in the minors making about 1500.00 per month simply to fill farm teams for the majors. all i can say is i'm glad mine chose the education route instead being tossed around the minor leagues.

Seems odd that the AD would draw such a hard line in the sand over one athlete. I also think that a doctor's prescription would supersede the AD's prescription. With the history of success in the Mineola baseball program, it also seems odd that community support wouldn't be overwhelming. This is a very interesting story.

Watkins said Nic’s situation is different.

The Watkins are making this move “to further his education and allow him to pursue his passion, which is baseball,” the father said.

I would say that Mr. Watkins definitely has his priorities straight as far as the education vs. pro ball scenario go.

I'm just puzzled by how they couldn't come to an agreement regarding the weight program. If I am correct, he was not going to play any other sport his senior year. How could there be a problem? Does Mineola even have off-season baseball?

I worked out with an LSU commit last week. He is not playing any other sport this year and he was following a workout designed for pitchers by an MLB club. We weren't at the school.

Also, Dr. Wupperman is not just a run of the mill doctor. I've spoken to him at length over the past 2 months and his knowledge of pitchers is unreal. He trained under Dr. James Andrews and is no stranger to the weight room.

Seems odd that the AD would draw such a hard line in the sand over one athlete. I also think that a doctor's prescription would supersede the AD's prescription. With the history of success in the Mineola baseball program, it also seems odd that community support wouldn't be overwhelming. This is a very interesting story.

If you notice in the article the AD was never given the oppritunityto give his side of the story by the local newspaper. So I think there is more to it than what was written.

Look, Mineola has allways been a baseball town first and foremost for as long as I've known. The story that Adam Moore just made the majors last week was on the front page of the paper, and it's a great story and everyone is proud for Adam. But I think that if you are going to bring in an AD and his new staff every few years, but then tell them through your actions i.e., community support for baseball mainly/only, then that is why we never have very much success in any of the other sports.

I think we as a community should give all of our support to the AD and his staff, I know that I'm happy with the work they have done with my son and dauthers and I have see great things comming up through the classes moving up from JH.

Anyway, good luck to Nic, he is a good young man and I hope his dream comes true.

Go Jackets!

the weight room is for everyone. Coaches, and AD's need to realize every sport is not geared to lift heavy. Baseball and basketball don't need heavy training espcially during season. This is a battle I know.

This is a battle everywhere. At my old HS the baseball guys were always trying to get out of lifting for this reason, but since were such a football driven region all the coach cares about is getting stronger for August. It really dosn't matter if it messes up someone's 3 pointer or curveball.

the weight room is for everyone. Coaches, and AD's need to realize every sport is not geared to lift heavy. Baseball and basketball don't need heavy training espcially during season. This is a battle I know.

Tiger Woods is a 300 pound bench presser. Seems like its working well for him!!

If your bigger, faster and stronger you will be better at any sport!!!!!!!

The weight argument is nothing but a bunch of bull!!!!!

Helecopter parents (parents that swoop in like a blackhawk, pull their kids out of a situation and lay a line of ground fire to destroy everything that endangered their childs wishes) coming to the rescue of a lazy kid not willing to work hard.

Just my opinion

I have a movie about Michael Jordan... At one point during the movie he talked about how Lifting Weights took him to a new level on the basketball court... It showed a clip of him bench pressing 315 about 5 times... I used to show it to my basketball coaches...

Also, I know a kid who was drafted in the 1st round this year (pitcher)... And He tells me that his trainer makes him lift weights over his head all the time!!!

Helecopter parents (parents that swoop in like a blackhawk, pull their kids out of a situation and lay a line of ground fire to destroy everything that endangered their childs wishes) coming to the rescue of a lazy kid not willing to work hard.

Just my opinion

There not against lifting just the lifting MISD was offering. Theres different ways to lift. For pitchers it needs to be lighter weighs more reps to ease tension in the elbow to have a longer career. And obviously this kid isn't lazy or he wouldn't be a 3 time 1st all district player going into his senior season.

Just my opinion

So you think a kid playing ball in college is lazy? HAHA... The hardest workouts I have ever done was baseball offseason in college...

So being bigger, faster and stronger will help be better in anysport? I disagree.

Zoneblitz...learn to read. The dad doesn't want his son lifting heavy weights during the season. Gus your argument for Michael Jordan is retarded. He is a world class athlete. He is not a high school kid. Lifting weights is great...there is no question. But as with everything else lifting is not good for your body if not done properly. This dad is doing something for his son that he thinks is the best for his son. You football nazi's that talk about lifting...and showing your basketball coaches this and that make no sense.

So you think a kid playing ball in college is lazy? HAHA... The hardest workouts I have ever done was baseball offseason in college...

So being bigger, faster and stronger will help be better in anysport? I disagree.

I saw plenty of lazy kids playing college baseball. I would like to hear that conversation in which an athlete says, "you know, I did o.k., but if I had been weaker I would have done much better."

Your kidding... Right???

I would say that Mr. Watkins definitely has his priorities straight as far as the education vs. pro ball scenario go.

I'm just puzzled by how they couldn't come to an agreement regarding the weight program. If I am correct, he was not going to play any other sport his senior year. How could there be a problem? Does Mineola even have off-season baseball?

I worked out with an LSU commit last week. He is not playing any other sport this year and he was following a workout designed for pitchers by an MLB club. We weren't at the school.

Also, Dr. Wupperman is not just a run of the mill doctor. I've spoken to him at length over the past 2 months and his knowledge of pitchers is unreal. He trained under Dr. James Andrews and is no stranger to the weight room.

Nic Watkins and parents approached AD and Supt. numerous times and both said every athlete in MHS would complete the same workout(designed for football) no exceptions. The coaches told Watkins kid during last years baseball season if he did not complete the designed heavy lifting he would be benched and never play for MHS baseball again. Go figure!!!!

Nic Watkins and parents approached AD and Supt. numerous times and both said every athlete in MHS would complete the same workout(designed for football) no exceptions. The coaches told Watkins kid during last years baseball season if he did not complete the designed heavy lifting he would be benched and never play for MHS baseball again. Go figure!!!!

Wow and thanks for the reply. I knew there had to be a catch. I've met Mr. Watkins and he did not strike me as the "helicopter dad" that someone else referred to.

This is a very sensitive issue. The first thing to look at is that all kids are different. Some kids are going to bulk up faster than other ones. Common sense has to take over in this at some point. Offseason lifting and in season lifting are different. The whole key here is stretching. Most kids mess up because they do not stretch correctly. I am not for heavy, heavy lifting during the season for pitchers. After pitching and coaching at a high level I can tell you that this does not work.

Well... HGH made those MLB players bigger, faster, stronger... And all that did was help them hit 70+ homeruns a year...

Oh... I didnt know you were talking about players not following rules..

But this thread is about Nic Watkins and why he chose to play college ball this year, not Bonds and Mark Mcgoldberg..

Zoneblitz...learn to read. The dad doesn't want his son lifting heavy weights during the season. Gus your argument for Michael Jordan is retarded. He is a world class athlete. He is not a high school kid. Lifting weights is great...there is no question. But as with everything else lifting is not good for your body if not done properly. This dad is doing something for his son that he thinks is the best for his son. You football nazi's that talk about lifting...and showing your basketball coaches this and that make no sense.

Well thank you... But lifting weights did not affect Jordan jump shot... It dont hurt Tiger Woods golf swing... Did not hurt Barry Bonds baseball swing... Did not hurt Rodger Clemens throwing... But here is what I do not understand... How can lifting weights 3 days a week for less than 45 minutes hurt somebody???

If you were to lift weights then go Throw, Shoot, Swing a bat or a golf club... It would not hurt you at all... But when you lift all off season then go to baseball practice and you have not thrown a baseball in months... Then you will have problems... And of course those problems get brought back on lifting weights!!!!

Oh... I didnt know you were talking about players not following rules..

But this thread is about Nic Watkins and why he chose to play college ball this year, not Bonds and Mark Mcgoldberg..

My bad... You said something about... How you disagree about being Bigger, Faster and Stronger will help you in any sport... Just trying to help you out there... Stud!!!

I expected the football haters on here to come firing at me and you proved me right.

This is more about jealousy of the popularity of football than it is about anything else.

I feel sorry for the kid missing out on his senior year that is a very special time.

In my opinion shame on the parents!!! I understand the young man is probably a good baseball player but if he was really a standout he would be going to a much bigger school would 't ya think?

So come on fire at me with your excuses but we all know the truth deep down.

BIGGER< FASTER AND STRONGER MAKES YOU BETTER AT EVERY SPORT PERIOD!!!!!

If he is that good of an athlete he should have played football also. Would have made him a better baseball player

I know I will hear about that comment also but go to the MLB website and look at the bois of players and tell me how many pro's also played football and other sports. I have looked it up maybe you should also!!!