Westwood's Problem

masterblaster

I know that alot of people wondering what is going on at Westwood. I believe that they are getting what they wanted. Westwood had turn the corner in their football program under Coach Jones during his last year. Coach Anderson took over and him and the rest of the coaches kept things giong in the same direction. They were 7-5 and bi-district champs in 2007. They followed that up with a 7-3 District Championship year. In 2009 they finished 5-5 losing the last game of the year and that is what kept them out of the playoffs. Coach Anderson then left because they did not want to give him omer money. It is at this time that some board members wanted to go in another direction. They made it clear that they did not want Coach Mays to get the job. The wanted change. So the people in charge of giving the Supt a name pick someone other than Coach Mays. Coach Mays would have kept things the way they were. The kids knew what was expected of them and what would happen if they did not act right. But it was the wisdom of the powers that be wanted change. Well they got it, they are most likely headed to a 0-10 season. If Westwood want to go back to the way things were they need to offer the job to Mays instead of opening it up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to add a few more things

1. This team is young - Almost no returning starters

2. With no prior history - Price was in trouble from get go

3. Tevin Watson moved - Can't say enough about him - Team Leader - Team Player - Essary had to be doing backflips when he enrolled.

One other point - Does not matter how We got here - We are here - We can either fold and go home - or put'em on - stap'em up and get better - Good Luck the rest of the season Westwood

I have been around awhile and I saw Friday what I thought I would in a Westwood team!! They played hard, made some plays and like most HS teams missed some plays! But overall I felt they gave all they had and never shutdown!

Now who should get the job or wants the job I have no idea! But if your kids sellout and play hard then you will be ok.

They do have some good size in the line!!!

Westwood has been in trouble for a while! It starts from the school. They do not care about athletics there. The funding is down and they are more worried about bringing in good teachers rather than good coaches. I am the first to say I believe academics are important but at some point you have to raise your coaching stipends and bring in good coaches for your athletes to produce!

Westwood has been in trouble for a while! It starts from the school. They do not care about athletics there. The funding is down and they are more worried about bringing in good teachers rather than good coaches. I am the first to say I believe academics are important but at some point you have to raise your coaching stipends and bring in good coaches for your athletes to produce!

I don't see why they can't do both. Yes their stipends could be better, I am sure. I am not a budgetary expert, so I do not know if they are capable of raising pay much simply because their tax base is small.

I don't see why they can't do both. Yes their stipends could be better, I am sure. I am not a budgetary expert, so I do not know if they are capable of raising pay much simply because their tax base is small.

Should've hired Finney.

I agree but good coaches and good teachers are hard to come by especially in smaller school districts.

As for everything else, Westwood doesn't want to make the needed sacrifices to build themselves a good athletic program!

Westwood still has four coaches left over from there playoff days. I don't think that they all of sudden there bad coaches because of what happen this year. There is more to it than that.

I agree - Everytime this subject comes up there are people that feel if the Coaches are not paid well and Westwood needs new facilities - We have improved our facilities - New Stands, All Gyms are air-conditioned, new field house/weight room, new score board and track. This was all done without a bond election, which means taxes did not go up. Also we built a new science wing and art department again - without raising taxes.

There is a tax rollback on the Nov 2 ticket - If it passes - the Coaches and teachers will also get a raise. So get out and vote

Maybe we should pay our coaches more.

Maybe as much as

Fairfield:

2005 2-7-0 114-202 David Armstrong

2006 1-9-0 David Haynes

2007 2-8-0 David Haynes

2008 3-7-0 Darrell Piske

2009 1-9-0 Darrell Piske

or Elkart:

2005 4-6-0 234-252 Doug Black

2006 4-6-0 Jason Ives

2007 0-10-0 Jason Ives

2008 3-7-0 Tim Lewis

2009 1-9-0 Tim Lewis

Maybe Crocket:

2005 8-2-0 262-178 Stephen Burrow

2006 7-5-0 Stephen Burrow

2007 8-4-0 Paul Parsons

2008 6-5-0 Paul Parsons

2009 1-9-0 Paul Parsons

Or Even Palestine:

2005 8-3-0 429-294 Glen Tunstall

2006 9-3-0 Glen Tunstall

2007 5-5-0 Glen Tunstall

2008 3-7-0 Booker Bowie

2009 6-5-0 Booker Bowie

I am not trying to put down any area schools and I hope it is not taken that way. I am trying to make a point that spending more of your tax payers money doesn't always bring you championships or even district titles

Westwood keeps its numbers in the black and is comparible to the local area teams

Westwood:

2005 4-6-0 285-339 Shane Jones

2006 6-4-0 Shane Jones

2007 7-5 Shane Jones

2008 6-5-0 Kevin Anderson

2009 5-5-0 Kevin Anderson

Again Good Luck Coach Mays - Hope you get the job

After the game friday night a player told me that the crew that officiated the game was the same ones that did the Madisonville game, and they told the coaches and players that Westwood look like a total different team than the game before. They said that they played harder and were more discipine than last week . Hopefully this week will also be an improvement over last week. We will have to wait and see.

Need to add a few more things

1. This team is young - Almost no returning starters

2. With no prior history - Price was in trouble from get go

3. Tevin Watson moved - Can't say enough about him - Team Leader - Team Player - Essary had to be doing backflips when he enrolled.

One other point - Does not matter how We got here - We are here - We can either fold and go home - or put'em on - stap'em up and get better - Good Luck the rest of the season Westwood

We are not that young, just no leadership and no gameplan. Very few kids were showing up to lift during the summer, and now we are seeing the results of a poorly run program. You are right though, we can either play or just quit. My son is a senior, and I am so glad this nightmare is about over. Westwood administration has prevented this class from getting the college exposure, by swapping coaches so much. It is pathetic. As for spending money on teachers instead of coaches, that is bull. Our academics are not even at the acceptable level. And it has nothing to do with the drop out rate. Test scores across the board are way down.

Westwood used to be the team to have on your schedule for homecoming, with 3 winning seasons in the last 10, only 1 in the prior decade. Many thought that Westwood had become a winning program. But maybe they are back to their old ways of the ever sought after homecoming opponent.

^ I hope they are - Nothing like ruining the other teams homecoming - LOL

I am a Westwood Homer no doubt about it - With the season being a bust this year - this is the most fun I have had this year.

Westwood will be back - They have a great group of kids playing now and a great group of kids coming up.

By the way - early voting on the Roll back election started Monday, so if you are from Westwood get out and support your kids and community

We are not that young, just no leadership and no gameplan. Very few kids were showing up to lift during the summer, and now we are seeing the results of a poorly run program. You are right though, we can either play or just quit. My son is a senior, and I am so glad this nightmare is about over. Westwood administration has prevented this class from getting the college exposure, by swapping coaches so much. It is pathetic. As for spending money on teachers instead of coaches, that is bull. Our academics are not even at the acceptable level. And it has nothing to do with the drop out rate. Test scores across the board are way down.

Rangerfan1965 How come the same coaches that coached you son to a district championship are all of a sudden coaches that don't have a game plan. Have you seen the TAKS scores from last year. The scores were good. It is true about the drop out rate but 6 of those students that the state has as drop outs graduated at another school so Westwood will win their appeal. Yes there were problems on the coaching staff but I believe from here on things will get better with the other coaches that are left. I hate that its a little to late to help your son. You could take some tips from Osp on how to be a fan of Westwood. Right now you are a strong hater of Westwood. Someone from Westwood needs to warn the New Baseball Coach about you before you start running him down this spring. At least then he will know who it is comming from.

No offense but Westwood's new baseball coach has alot more problems than someone talking trash to him. Them and Palestine were the worst baseball teams I have ever seen last year.

I agree but I hate it when someone will shake your hand and act like he is on your side then get on here and bash you.