STUPIDEST CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN

BillyClydePuckett

This Friday past I saw Team A while on offense get a penalty because an offensive lineman had his helmet get taken off. The penalty came when the lineman in question kept playing.

When asked the official said the player MUST stop playing when his helmet comes off. I asked the official what happens when the eleven guys on defense line up to split the player standing straight up and not doing anything to protect himself in half?

He did not have a good answer.

I have been doing this for quite awhile and many know who I am, and those that know me know that I have CONSISTENTLY stood up for officials and the job they do. In this case I am sure the official was only enforcing the rule as they were told too.

But whoever said to enforce this rule is an IDIOT!

I am not going to tell ANY kid to EVER stand still and not move on a football field but if he does go find a ref to stand next too so that when some headhunter on the other team comes to take him out maybe the idiot ref will take part of the blow.

And any official that enforces this rule in this manner is not to bright either. They are usually the ones who are more worried about what is going on behind them on the sideline than they are on the field anyway.

This Friday past I saw Team A while on offense get a penalty because an offensive lineman had his helmet get taken off. The penalty came when the lineman in question kept playing.

When asked the official said the player MUST stop playing when his helmet comes off. I asked the official what happens when the eleven guys on defense line up to split the player standing straight up and not doing anything to protect himself in half?

He did not have a good answer.

I have been doing this for quite awhile and many know who I am, and those that know me know that I have CONSISTENTLY stood up for officials and the job they do. In this case I am sure the official was only enforcing the rule as they were told too.

But whoever said to enforce this rule is an IDIOT!

I am not going to tell ANY kid to EVER stand still and not move on a football field but if he does go find a ref to stand next too so that when some headhunter on the other team comes to take him out maybe the idiot ref will take part of the blow.

And any official that enforces this rule in this manner is not to bright either. They are usually the ones who are more worried about what is going on behind them on the sideline than they are on the field anyway.

According to your posts last week on this very topic, you get what you pay for. Surely this did not happen at an upper classification school where the games really matter.

This is probably the only situation I can think of where the player actually Personal Fouls himself. If, after losing a helmet, the player continues to participate in the play, we are told to flag - 15 yards against the helmetless player. I wouldn't flag a player for trying to protect himself - no one should. But if he was running to make a tackle without a helmet - you have to shut that down. The situation you described is a hard one to officiate to say the least.

The only thing more ignorant than the call I have already discussed is your interpretation of my comments from last week to mean that "only upper level games matter".

But I will reconfirm what I said last week when I stated that two 0-9 1A teams are not going to get a crew that is as good as two 9-0 5A teams that are playing that same night. There were a couple of people remarking on that thread about how the 1A schools deserve the best too.

You are talking about what is fair and I am talking about reality. There is no such thing as "Fair". Reality is a 24-7 365 day guarantee. If you do not believe me I invite you to call the scheduling secretary for every chapter in East Texas to see if they disagree with me. I know which way I am betting.

The best referees are going to get the BEST games. I know that is a harsh truth to deal with but there you go.

But if you must know it was a 2A team playing a 3A team. And I have been VERY happy with the qualtiy of crews we have seen this year as I ALSO stated in that thread as I was with this crew. My issue is with an interpretation of ONE call probably which the crew has been told to enforce.

Once again I have a long history of supporting officials.

I can understand flagging a player for going to make a tackle without a helmet but I do not agree with it. I cannot understand how anyone could say that a helmetless kid should stop on a dime and not move or defend himself.

Anyone who thinks that a person can get their brain to operate that quickly in a football game has not ever played the game. You do not think even for a split second that your helmet is off and even if you do there is just about always this thing called momentum and force working against you.

I understand wanting to take as much danger out of the game as possible but my gosh we are going to regulate ourselves out of a sport if we do not watch out.

With emotion, adrenaline, intensity, going on it is IMPOSSIBLE to even expect a player to IMMEDIATLEY come to a complete stop and cease play when your helmet comes off.

Once again anyone who thinks this CAN happen has NEVER played the game.

This is just like liberalism. Very good intentions are more important than reality or results.

The only thing more ignorant than the call I have already discussed is your interpretation of my comments from last week to mean that "only upper level games matter".

But I will reconfirm what I said last week when I stated that two 0-9 1A teams are not going to get a crew that is as good as two 9-0 5A teams that are playing that same night. There were a couple of people remarking on that thread about how the 1A schools deserve the best too.

You are talking about what is fair and I am talking about reality. There is no such thing as "Fair". Reality is a 24-7 365 day guarantee. If you do not believe me I invite you to call the scheduling secretary for every chapter in East Texas to see if they disagree with me. I know which way I am betting.

The best referees are going to get the BEST games. I know that is a harsh truth to deal with but there you go.

But if you must know it was a 2A team playing a 3A team. And I have been VERY happy with the qualtiy of crews we have seen this year as I ALSO stated in that thread as I was with this crew. My issue is with an interpretation of ONE call probably which the crew has been told to enforce.

Once again I have a long history of supporting officials.

So which is it, poor call or supporting the refs? You will have to excuse me for my ignorance in this case, but it can not be both. I fully understand how the system of assigning crews work, and know that it is based more on a seniority level than a compentency level in many chapters. In my prior posts I relayed instances also that I witnessed that were mechanically unsound, or interpreted the wrong way by crews. I even went on to say that there should be further training through film to enlighten some of the lesser skilled crews flaws to them personally. Lets face it, the mistakes or interpretations of rules can and do affect many of the games. I just find it ironic that you of all people started this thread after some of the toes you stepped on in the previous one. Officials, love or hate them you get what you pay for in every corner of East Texas football.

Right you are and a clock is also correct twice a day also. You two are now as smart and as correct as a clock. But not quite as witty.

I wasn't trying to be witty. I think you meant to say a "clock that has stopped", or a "clock that is broke" is right twice a day.

This is probably the only situation I can think of where the player actually Personal Fouls himself. If, after losing a helmet, the player continues to participate in the play, we are told to flag - 15 yards against the helmetless player. I wouldn't flag a player for trying to protect himself - no one should. But if he was running to make a tackle without a helmet - you have to shut that down. The situation you described is a hard one to officiate to say the least.

Doesn't it work both ways? An opposing player who tries to engage a player who has lost his helmet and stopped playing would be flagged?

I know in college the rule is if your helmet comes off and you keep playing that play you get penalized, and if you stop but a defensive player continues to engage you then he will get a 15 yard penalty.

True - although I'm not aware of a specific rule addressing "a player intentionally engaging a helmetless player" I would classify this as targeting a defenseless player type call. You would really have to know if the offending player intentionally went after the helmetless player.

So which is it, poor call or supporting the refs? You will have to excuse me for my ignorance in this case, but it can not be both. I fully understand how the system of assigning crews work, and know that it is based more on a seniority level than a compentency level in many chapters. In my prior posts I relayed instances also that I witnessed that were mechanically unsound, or interpreted the wrong way by crews. I even went on to say that there should be further training through film to enlighten some of the lesser skilled crews flaws to them personally. Lets face it, the mistakes or interpretations of rules can and do affect many of the games. I just find it ironic that you of all people started this thread after some of the toes you stepped on in the previous one. Officials, love or hate them you get what you pay for in every corner of East Texas football.

I will say this. I have seen the BEST and WORST in officiating in back to back weeks. The crew that worked the Joaquin/ Burkeville game Friday communicated well amongst themselves, as well as with players and coaches. They had control of the game from kickoff to final gun. I wish we could get them every week.