Patriots Caught Cheating...Again

Like I said, Goodell better come up with something better. Brady's lawyers will take him to public court over those weak circumstantial findings in that report and win the same way Peterson did. It will ruin and embarrass the commish.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady suspended 4 games.

Patriots lose 2016 1st Round pick and 2017 4th Round pick.

Patriots fined $1 million.

Punishment fit the crime or too much?

It will never happen ... most, if not all of it, will be overturned on appeal .... hide and watch

Deflategame ruling: Tom Brady suspended four games. Patriots fined $1 million.Deflategate ruling: Brady suspended four games

38 minutes ago

The National Football League has suspended Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for the first four games next season.

The discipline follows the release of a report last week that concluded that Brady was likely aware that two Patriot employees were deflating footballs used in the AFC title against Indianapolis.

The league has also fined the team $1 million and taken away two draft choices

Statement from Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee:

“The discipline is ridiculous and has no legitimate basis. In my opinion, this outcome was pre-determined; there was no fairness in the Wells investigation whatsoever. There is no evidence that Tom directed footballs be set at pressures below the allowable limits. In fact, the evidence shows Tom clearly emphasized that footballs be set at pressures within the rules. Tom also cooperated with the investigation and answered every question presented to him. The Wells Report presents significant evidence, however, that the NFL lacks standards or protocols with respect to its handling of footballs prior to games; this is not the fault of Tom or the Patriots. The report also presents significant evidence the NFL participated with the Colts in some type of pre-AFC Championship Game planning regarding the footballs. This fact may raise serious questions about the integrity of the games we view on Sundays. We will appeal, and if the hearing officer is completely independent and neutral, I am very confident the Wells Report will be exposed as an incredibly frail exercise in fact-finding and logic. The NFL has a well-documented history of making poor disciplinary decisions that often are overturned when truly independent and neutral judges or arbitrators preside, and a former federal judge has found the commissioner has abused his discretion in the past, so this outcome does not surprise me. Sadly, today’s decision diminishes the NFL as it tells its fans, players and coaches that the games on the field don’t count as much as the games played on Park Avenue.”

Statement from Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee:

“The discipline is ridiculous and has no legitimate basis. In my opinion, this outcome was pre-determined; there was no fairness in the Wells investigation whatsoever. There is no evidence that Tom directed footballs be set at pressures below the allowable limits. In fact, the evidence shows Tom clearly emphasized that footballs be set at pressures within the rules. Tom also cooperated with the investigation and answered every question presented to him. The Wells Report presents significant evidence, however, that the NFL lacks standards or protocols with respect to its handling of footballs prior to games; this is not the fault of Tom or the Patriots. The report also presents significant evidence the NFL participated with the Colts in some type of pre-AFC Championship Game planning regarding the footballs. This fact may raise serious questions about the integrity of the games we view on Sundays. We will appeal, and if the hearing officer is completely independent and neutral, I am very confident the Wells Report will be exposed as an incredibly frail exercise in fact-finding and logic. The NFL has a well-documented history of making poor disciplinary decisions that often are overturned when truly independent and neutral judges or arbitrators preside, and a former federal judge has found the commissioner has abused his discretion in the past, so this outcome does not surprise me. Sadly, today’s decision diminishes the NFL as it tells its fans, players and coaches that the games on the field don’t count as much as the games played on Park Avenue.”

I have not read the report (don't know if all of it is public yet) but the employees were paid by the Patriots and thus the Patriots are responsible for making sure the balls get back to the field in a secure fashion. If the NFL(officiating crew) was responsible for it then their people would be. I am all for the officiating crew supplying and handling the balls for the game. They should be the ones making sure things or withing specs. Too many variables can go wrong otherwise.

I have no doubt Brady's suspension will be overturned. Goodell could be treading on thin ice with this one ....

To fight the ruling, Brady would have to turn over his phone records, which he refused to do in the first place, which is why he got punished this time. He's not fighting a cheating charge; he was knocked for Conduct Detrimental.

To fight the ruling, Brady would have to turn over his phone records, which he refused to do in the first place, which is why he got punished this time. He's not fighting a cheating charge; he was knocked for Conduct Detrimental.

I don't think so. He wins the appeal because there is no hard evidence against him. Refusing to turn over a phone is not "conduct detrimental" ....

That's only if this turns into a real lawsuit.

That's only if this turns into a real lawsuit.

Not so. He's punished by the league for not cooperating with the investigation. He didn't, and it's a plain fact. What would his appeal be?

This also sets a precedent for Kevin Hardy's appeal; both players are punished for Conduct Detrimental, so this paves the way for Hardy to reduce his suspension to 4 games.

I don't think so. He wins the appeal because there is no hard evidence against him. Refusing to turn over a phone is not "conduct detrimental" ....

He's punished for refusing to cooperate with an investigation, and in an NFL investigation, hard conclusive evidence isn't needed for a Conduct Detrimental violation.

Since there is a history of cheating and unethical behavior and continuous allegations of wrong doing for such a long time; then I doubt there will be much changed in the appeals. Goodell needs to set an example with them.

Goodell won't hear the appeal in this. He is going to be schooled again by lawyers

Seems to me this could have all been prevented if league furnished 1set of game balls per game and both teams play with them. Also paid nfl official in charge of balls

This was how they used to do it prior to 2006. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning wanted to rule changed, so the NFL changed it.

An excerpt from an article by Ian O'Connor ESPN that quotes part of Vincent's letter to Brady

"Your actions as set forth in the report clearly constitute conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football," Vincent wrote in a letter to Brady. "The integrity of the game is of paramount importance to everyone in our league, and requires unshakable commitment to fairness and compliance with the playing rules. Each player, no matter how accomplished and otherwise respected, has an obligation to comply with the rules and must be held accountable for his actions when those rules are violated and the public's confidence in the game is called into question."

I agree 100% with this

An excerpt from an article by Ian O'Connor ESPN that quotes part of Vincent's letter to Brady

"Your actions as set forth in the report clearly constitute conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football," Vincent wrote in a letter to Brady. "The integrity of the game is of paramount importance to everyone in our league, and requires unshakable commitment to fairness and compliance with the playing rules. Each player, no matter how accomplished and otherwise respected, has an obligation to comply with the rules and must be held accountable for his actions when those rules are violated and the public's confidence in the game is called into question."

I agree 100% with this

Quite a few at ESPN even haven't rushed to New England's aid like in years past. From what I've seen on Yahoo and SBNation, everyone thinks the Pats did it and got off lightly for it. Seems a decade of cheating scandals has marred the Patriots Super Bowls irreversibly.

Quite a few at ESPN even haven't rushed to New England's aid like in years past. From what I've seen on Yahoo and SBNation, everyone thinks the Pats did it and got off lightly for it. Seems a decade of cheating scandals has marred the Patriots Super Bowls irreversibly.

The only person I have heard come out swinging to defend the Patriots was Tedy Bruschi and his argument was all about the personal friendship he has with Brady and Boston ties...