Pittsburg vs Lorena

Pittpirate1919

Pittsburg vs Lorena  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Pittsburg
    • Lorena

Pitt in this one...but if Lorena squeaks by this week, I don't think the score will be close against PG

Special teams were a large deciding factor in the LE/Lorena game, could not flip the field on 4th down and even gave up a punt return TD..

not to mention the LE fumble on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game on own 25 yard line. Just can't give those opportunities away but those things happen.

Lorena won't be given those chances against Pitt or PG... Pitt special teams is as good as Lorena...

I think Lorena's secondary will have a really hard time defending Pitt's passing game

Pitt by 17

1 hour ago, WiseGuy said:

Pitt in this one...but if Lorena squeaks by this week, I don't think the score will be close against PG

Special teams were a large deciding factor in the LE/Lorena game, could not flip the field on 4th down and even gave up a punt return TD..

not to mention the LE fumble on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game on own 25 yard line. Just can't give those opportunities away but those things happen.

Lorena won't be given those chances against Pitt or PG... Pitt special teams is as good as Lorena...

I think Lorena's secondary will have a really hard time defending Pitt's passing game

Pitt by 17

Your not going to beat Pitt unless you have  a really good secondary

On 11/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, PGHAWKS said:

Your not going to beat Pitt unless you have  a really good secondary

Pitt has gotten away from their passing game. They throw an occasional deep ball, like the ones against y'all, but with no real timing. Every now and then you see a quick out, and once in a blue moon(and I mean blue moon) something in the interior part of the field. Pitt will run #6 about, and I'm not kidding, 95 percent of the time. I believe this will be Pitt's first real test(playoffs). Pitt needs to get back to more of a balanced attack to have a real shot at advancing. Pitt can beat Lorena, but not with a running attack alone. They will need to rely on their talented receivers as well. Pitt will need to work the entire field. Running the ball, burning clock, solely for the intent of playing keep away is not a wise decision. If Pitt plays sound defense and leans towards a balanced attack on offense, they will come away with a win. If not, Lorena wins. I just don't believe defense wins this game alone. But hey, what do I know!🙂 P.S. sorry about all of the drinking and smoakying I have been doing lately. Been sober for three days now!

Saw Lorena, LE, PG and Connally.  Best teams were, of course, the winners.  Lorena vs. PG would be an excellent State Championship game, but they play each other before then, so that ain't happening. This week I think #6 for Pittsburg has a good game against Lorena, BUT...Lorena's team speed is mo' betta'.  Actually, Pittsburg looks like a steady, tough team that will flat out run over you.  If it is close in the fourth quarter, when players are hot, tired and probably gonna make a mistake. then Pittsburg could cause the most damage.  However, if that Lorena speed gets going early and Lina is hitting his many targets, then the Leopards could run away with this one.  I'm going to predict something in the middle and say Lorena 37 Pittsburg 21. 

'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micotrav said:

Saw Lorena, LE, PG and Connally.  Best teams were, of course, the winners.  Lorena vs. PG would be an excellent State Championship game, but they play each other before then, so that ain't happening. This week I think #6 for Pittsburg has a good game against Lorena, BUT...Lorena's team speed is mo' betta'.  Actually, Pittsburg looks like a steady, tough team that will flat out run over you.  If it is close in the fourth quarter, when players are hot, tired and probably gonna make a mistake. then Pittsburg could cause the most damage.  However, if that Lorena speed gets going early and Lina is hitting his many targets, then the Leopards could run away with this one.  I'm going to predict something in the middle and say Lorena 37 Pittsburg 21. 

'

Micotrav I know you saw Lorena play, but they don't have the speed Pittsburg has. And if it gets to the fourth quarter it has to favor Lorena. Pittsburg plays seven kids both ways, including their qb and wrs. I'm not saying Lorena is slow, but if not for turnovers and special teams, they would have lost to L-E. I agree with you on Pleasant Grove. If they win state this year, it'll be hard to top them next year with most of their kids back. Want you to know I love the Royse City Stadium. I've talked with several coaches over the years and many like playing in the big stadiums as a reward to the kids for all their hard work. It's tough on the fans, but I don't think that concerns the coaches as much as the players do. Every kid I've ever talked with dreams of playing at AT&T, The Star and Allen.

53 minutes ago, 68Hornet said:

Micotrav I know you saw Lorena play, but they don't have the speed Pittsburg has. And if it gets to the fourth quarter it has to favor Lorena. Pittsburg plays seven kids both ways, including their qb and wrs. I'm not saying Lorena is slow, but if not for turnovers and special teams, they would have lost to L-E. I agree with you on Pleasant Grove. If they win state this year, it'll be hard to top them next year with most of their kids back. Want you to know I love the Royse City Stadium. I've talked with several coaches over the years and many like playing in the big stadiums as a reward to the kids for all their hard work. It's tough on the fans, but I don't think that concerns the coaches as much as the players do. Every kid I've ever talked with dreams of playing at AT&T, The Star and Allen.

Could be exactly how you say.  Cannot blame those boys wanting to play at AT&T and The Star.  I'm not that sold on Allen, it's novelty status has used itself up to me.  Still an awesome place to play, if it is your first experience.  I watched a few games at Allen, I just felt swallowed up and the fans spread out so much that they did not offer the support the kids deserve.  That's me, because I have enjoyed my three sons all having the playoff experience.  One even was a game away from a State Championship appearance. I always was impressed with fan and parental support.  They all enjoy it when we are a community of Champions.  

I don’t know who is going to win Friday night in RC. It does seem that some believe that PG will be playing in Jerry’s World regardless of what team they play.   I think PG does beat Gilmer but it is going to be closer than most think.  If Pitt does win Friday night then it will be a heck of a game if PG and Pitt meet again.  All I am saying is don’t punch PG’s ticket now. 

18 minutes ago, downtheline said:

I don’t know who is going to win Friday night in RC. It does seem that some believe that PG will be playing in Jerry’s World regardless of what team they play.   I think PG does beat Gilmer but it is going to be closer than most think.  If Pitt does win Friday night then it will be a heck of a game if PG and Pitt meet again.  All I am saying is don’t punch PG’s ticket now. 

I agree, both Gilmer and Pittsburg are capable of beating Pleasant Grove, I just believe Pleasant Grove has the best team. If Pittsburg had more depth its prospects would be good, but they don't. Gilmer doesn't play great defense, and rarely does a team win without a great defense. The Buckeyes did prove they could slow Hawks down in a rainstorm.

First time to visit Smoaky in many years.  I couldn't remember my old login, so created a new one.  Anyhow, I've been around the game in central Texas for over 20 years, but did a quick stint out in east Texas in the mid 00's.  Familiar with both squads here.

Lorena is as well balanced of a team as I've seen at this level in many years.  They don't do anything exceptionally well, but they do everything pretty dang soundly.  They don't beat themselves and play very hard and disciplined.  They have good athletes all over the field, and don't play anyone both ways. They have speed at the skill positions and mashers at LB. Their offense is multiple and each game I've seen them play this year they tossed out a new wrinkle.  They usually gain a lot of positive and hidden yards in the kicking game.

Pittsburg is typical east Texas football.  Haven't seen them in person, only film.  More speed than the other team (usually), a lot of fantastic athletes overcoming any schematic disadvantages or numbers.  This staff does a good job of letting their playmakers make plays and keeping the other team's from doing just that. 

The Pitt QB will probably be the best player on the field for either team, but he won't be able to do it alone.

This should be a dandy of a game.  I think Lorena comes out on top something like 34-30.  Aren't we lucky to be able to watch games like this unfold?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doc479 said:

First time to visit Smoaky in many years.  I couldn't remember my old login, so created a new one.  Anyhow, I've been around the game in central Texas for over 20 years, but did a quick stint out in east Texas in the mid 00's.  Familiar with both squads here.

Lorena is as well balanced of a team as I've seen at this level in many years.  They don't do anything exceptionally well, but they do everything pretty dang soundly.  They don't beat themselves and play very hard and disciplined.  They have good athletes all over the field, and don't play anyone both ways. They have speed at the skill positions and mashers at LB. Their offense is multiple and each game I've seen them play this year they tossed out a new wrinkle.  They usually gain a lot of positive and hidden yards in the kicking game.

Pittsburg is typical east Texas football.  Haven't seen them in person, only film.  More speed than the other team (usually), a lot of fantastic athletes overcoming any schematic disadvantages or numbers.  This staff does a good job of letting their playmakers make plays and keeping the other team's from doing just that. 

The Pitt QB will probably be the best player on the field for either team, but he won't be able to do it alone.

This should be a dandy of a game.  I think Lorena comes out on top something like 34-30.  Aren't we lucky to be able to watch games like this unfold?

From my limited knowledge of Lorena, this assessment of the matchup seems pretty accurate. Bottom line is - - this game is gonna be good. Absolute KEY is not making mistakes. This is exactly the type of game that gets decided by the turnover battle, given how evenly matched I believe these teams are.  

9 minutes ago, texan1010 said:

From my limited knowledge of Lorena, this assessment of the matchup seems pretty accurate. Bottom line is - - this game is gonna be good. Absolute KEY is not making mistakes. This is exactly the type of game that gets decided by the turnover battle, given how evenly matched I believe these teams are.  

Thinking this is why I might move the game to Saturday.   Would hate to think that heavy rain and delays could affect the outcome.   But as Donald Trump might say, “Maybe it will rain and maybe it won’t rain”.

• Like 1

Pittsburg has great speed. It is no secret that they lack depth, but they come to play every week. If they can steal a possession or two by generating turnovers, I believe they win. The weather will be a huge factor in this game. If it pours, it will slow down Lorena’s passing attack, and keep those two way players from being spread out and ran like dogs all game. That said, I think the bad weather benefits Pitt the most. District 6 in Region 2 is the toughest district in 4a Div 2, and Pitt is battle tested. They find a way tonight in a squeaker.